Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: OptimFROG - what's the latest? (Read 2730 times) previous topic - next topic

OptimFROG - what's the latest?

Hi. Today, i've first learned of "OptimFROG" (sp?... i hope i've got that proper). The talk sounded interesting, but dated-- most recent i noticed-- circa 2005.

I wouldn't say i have much "heart" behind my query, but i /am/ curious. Allow me to qualify...

For a while (and, i'll likely continue) I've been archiving audio media using FLAC, via XCFA (X Convert File Audio, i believe is the abbreviation, for a software available for the X desktop [e.g. Debian / Fedora Linux]), or ISOBuster . From there, i'd been pretty satisfied going to LAME VBR Extreme, until I discovered Musepack (sp?), whereby I /thought/ i detected a sonically more robust result, to a smaller file, so-- it's unfortunate i've done so much of my lib using the former, but i intend to use the latter, henceforth.

but, what of this OptimFROG?

Just curious. And, added the "preface"... whatever you wish... for contextual data: apparently it was a bit more "slow" to encode? i reckon, since i've not seen it offered; it's not jumped-at-me as a viable codec for use, for example, with XCFA, perhaps development is not current?

FTR: i noticed this today, while performing a much needed updating of plug-ins; components for un4seen's XmPlay. came across the OptimFROG lib, for xmplay, and hence this curiousity.

thanks for your attention / feedback / news / gospel / what ever you wish.
bueno.
Lastfm as PSU_Strummer. i used to play guitar on stage. that was fun. now i enjoy listening to it on foobar2000

OptimFROG - what's the latest?

Reply #2
http://www.losslessaudio.org/

2011-02-12: OptimFROG is back!

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.