Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

MP3

V7 or less
[ 3 ] (0.5%)
V6
[ 7 ] (1.2%)
V5
[ 44 ] (7.8%)
V4
[ 28 ] (5%)
V3
[ 42 ] (7.5%)
V2
[ 137 ] (24.4%)
V1
[ 19 ] (3.4%)
V0
[ 111 ] (19.8%)
320 kbps
[ 52 ] (9.3%)
I don't encode to MP3.
[ 119 ] (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 719

Topic: What bitrate do you use? (Read 110727 times) previous topic - next topic

What bitrate do you use?

It will be interesting and maybe usefull to see what bitrates people use mostly for different generation codecs like MP3, AAC, Vorbis etc.

I understand I post this poll in wrong subforum as I haven't rights to create poll in Poll section. Please, don't remove this interesing poll.

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #1
I use FLAC mostly, but in order to get stuff playing and fitting on my iPod, I convert to MP3 V5. Used V4 but that didn't fit, and V5 I really cant hear the difference anyway.

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #2
It is maybe confusing to put MPC with AAC and Vorbis, I would use about 200+ with MPC but lower with AAC or Vorbis.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #3
It is maybe confusing to put MPC with AAC and Vorbis, I would use about 200+ with MPC but lower with AAC or Vorbis.

I thought the same when I read the poll.

Anyway, my vote for lossless and Aoyumi's tuned ogg encodes @ -q 5 (~160 kbps) for portable.

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #4
The first question can be answered easily but not the second one. What's the definition of a "modern" codec (in this poll if you want)? Grouping AAC, Vorbis and MPC suggests these three are modern and similar and on the other hand indirectly suggests mp3 is not modern. And what to answer to the second question when using mpc at 250+ kbps and also aac at around 128 kbps? (Just an example). Sorry but I can't participate in this poll.

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #5
I use FLAC mostly, but in order to get stuff playing and fitting on my iPod, I convert to MP3 V5. Used V4 but that didn't fit, and V5 I really cant hear the difference anyway.

Yeah, me too. I rip all my CDs to FLAC but also encode them to LAME -V 5.5 (voted 5) and neroAacEnc -q 0.25 [~80 kb/s] for my portable devices.

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #6
MPC, Vorbis and AAc should be voted seperately.

I use
MPC: ~170kbps VBR
AAC: ~96kbps VBR
FB2K,APE&LAME

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #7
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been hosed by users upset about MP3 not being termed a "modern" codec. It's true that MP3 lacks some of the features of Vorbis, AAC, WMA, etc. but current original music releases (except DVD Audio releases, which exist but are vanishingly rare) generally don't take advantage of those newer features anyway ... just my opinion.

Voted V0 for MP3 and 320kbps+ for WMA (back when I still ripped to that codec, I no longer do)
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #8
Voted MP3 and V0. With my tin can ears I could probably get by with less but I'm a believer of always building in a little insurance. And with hard drive space so cheap and the iPod and Zune with models larger than my music collection I don't much care about storage.

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #9
 "MP3" vs "modern codecs like MPC"  I thought it's "no trolling" here?

However... Vorbis @ q6, MP3 @ 192 or 256 kbps (depends) ...
audiophile // flac & wavpack, mostly // using too many audio players

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #10
LAME V5.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #11
I only use mp3 for my portable with settings -V5 for music and -V8 -mm for speech.
I use modern lossy codecs for movies. Nero AAC -q 0.35 (~96kbps).
For my main music library on my pc i use FLAC. In the past i used MPC -q5 (~180kbps) though.

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #12
I tend to want all my music to be the same bitrate, can't really come up with a good excuse why, just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

With LAME I got to the point where I used -V 0, so it matched anything I bought off the Amazon MP3 Store. Recently though I purchased a Zune and a Zune pass, so I've been using 192kbps WMA, that way my ripped CDs and DRMed Zune pass content are all the same bitrate.

I can't ABX the difference with either option (-V 0 or 192K WMA), so it works for me.

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #13
I used aac for my nokia and the setting I use is vbr -q0.5.
all song sounds transparent to my ears....
i know i don't need to use that high but I'd love to be on the save side.... 

for my pmp, i used mp3, fhg vbr-160kbps average (about -v3 for lame...).

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #14
Lame mp3 -V3 (siggy could have told you that  )

And I do not use more modern codecs. I've never had a need to and don't record multi-channel audio.
foobar 0.9.6.8
FLAC -5
LAME 3.98 -V3

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #16
I rip to AAC @ 320 VBR via Max. It yields some pretty tasty bit rates...

Altec UHP336s/Sennheiser eH 150s/AKG K171s & q113 tVBR AAC...

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #17
MP3 -Vx or 320 kbps? That's all the options I get? Am I being banned from stating that I encode to MP3 @ 192 kbps CBR?

Btw, I'm planning to rip my music collection to AAC LC at a high bitrate of 256 or 320 kbps.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #19
After a very long exhaustive search for my sweet spot, I rip everything to LAME 3.97 -V5 (default; vbr old).  I like its default lowpass of 16kHz.  I don't archive my CDs to lossless.  If ever something bad happens to my original CDs, I'll just make do of what was left.

Clarity is in the ears of the beholder!  Contentment is the final step towards perfection. = )
"Listen to me...
Never take unsolicited advice..."

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #20
My current settings are Wavpack Hybrid with the 160 kbps bitrate for most of what I encode, especially the master copies.
my longer website audio files are Ogg-Vorbis in the 60 kbps bitrate (-q -0.21) range, which works perfectly for older mono recording 60-70+ years old.
offtopic edit: almost to 200 posts!

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #21
Why do you use cbr??

Why not?? Doesn't matter. The question was, which bit rates to use for MP3 or modern codecs, not: which bitrates for LAME and modern codecs, and not: which VBR modes for LAME. Lame Ain't an MP3 Encoder, right?

Yes, LAME is a great encoder, but please don't forget there are others which do not have a -Vx switch (actually I don't even know by heart which bit rate range each switch maps to), and in some cases you might want/need to use CBR.

That's all I wanted to clarify.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #22
Why do you use cbr??

Why not?? Doesn't matter.

Yes it does matter, since if you use vbr you will get either smaller files or higher quality files.

Yes, LAME is a great encoder, but please don't forget there are others which do not have a -Vx switch (actually I don't even know by heart which bit rate range each switch maps to), and in some cases you might want/need to use CBR.

Do you have any special reason to use a codec that does not support vbr?
What are the cases when you  might want/need to use CBR?

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #23
There are some cases where people come across hardware limitations.  Older DVD/home theater devices, car CD decks, etc. may only be compatible with CBR mp3 files.  These cases are rare these days and are more prominent in older hardware.  So it can happen if someone is still using older hardware (it works so why change it out?) and doesn't feel like upgrading.

My lossy music library is encoded with Nero's latest AAC encoder at -q0.5.  I found that the -q0.45 setting was generally transparent for my needs but I decided to go up to the next setting (in 0.05 intervals) as I listen to music in the metal genre.  I have found that Ministry and Nine Inch Nails songs often produce more artifacts (or is it artefacts?) with lossy encoders.  I didn't want to chance coming across an audible artifact in the future so I just went with -q0.5.

What bitrate do you use?

Reply #24
the second poll result looks like a bell curve to me:)