Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Custom order of playlist items? (Read 6724 times) previous topic - next topic

Custom order of playlist items?

I'm wondering if there's a way to make playlists retain a certain order. In other words, I want my songs to be able to go back to a certain order even after I choose to arrange them by artist or track title from the columns. Right now, once they're sorted that way, they get organized and I'll have to go back and arrange them to my liking all over again. This is mainly a problem for me because I want 4000+ songs in one playlist and I want them all in a personalized order. Is there a way to do this with columns? The only way I can currently think of would be to assign a track number to all of them but the playlist is always growing so I don't want to edit every single song to add a track title...

Reply #1
save the playlist, after arranging it to your choice. Now whenever you change it as u said according to track number or  the title, then to go back to the 1st view of your choice just load the playlist again.
Or you could consider multiple playlist.
That's what i could think of to achieve such a behavior.

Or the most convinient way would be foo_playlist_attributes

Reply #2
I considered the option of saving and loading already but even that sounds like a ridiculous amount of work to achieve what should be a standard function of a playlist. I'm trying to make the move from iTunes to foobar but so far this is the only thing holding me back.

Technically, all the songs in the playlist I have in iTunes are just in the order that they were released. I could go through and tag each one with the date the songs were published on, which would achieve essentially the same effect because there is a column for that. It just sounds like a pain with so many songs. lol

Reply #3
You can order your playlist according to the release date, or any other field moreover you can also create custom fields and order the playlist using them.
I am not getting what actually you are asking for, whether to order playlist according to your own way(regardless of any field) or based on a particular field.
and for locking and achieve more control on playlists i suggested you to use foo_playlist_attributes.

Reply #4
Technically, all the songs in the playlist I have in iTunes are just in the order that they were released. I could go through and tag each one with the date the songs were published on

.. if itunes knows the date, then why doesn't foobar know the date?

Besides, I just copy the whole lot into a new playlist and sort that how I want it, keeping the manual sorting of the original playlist intact. Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, new playlist, Ctrl+V. Doesn't strike me as a lot of work for something I don't do often.

Reply #5

It doesn't. I mean that they're still in the order that I dropped them into the playlist. To make this simpler to understand, here's what a playlist looks like in iTunes.

The column that only has an arrow that lists "1, 2, 3, 4, etc" is what I'm talking about. That's the kind of thing I want. It's sort of like a tracklist but just for the playlist. Is there a way to do that?

Reply #6
Can you save an Itunes playlist to something like m3u? That would preserve sequence.

Reply #7
I can, but when I try to load the mp3 I exported from iTunes in Foobar, it won't let me... Even though Foobar seems to be able to create .m3u files.

Do I need another component for that?

Reply #8
mp3? I meant m3u. Pardon my derp.

Actually, I have an update. I couldn't open my m3u when I went to it through "Load Playlist" but I could open it from "Open". The problem is, it doesn't have all the songs in the playlist. It's only a small portion of what it should be. What the heck is even going on here...

Reply #9
The _M3U_ should be a readable plain text file, so examining the contents may eliminate much of the guess-work. Maybe post a portion of it here.

Reply #10
I haven't looked at many m3us in text form like this before, but the list seems to be correct when I open it in notepad.

It starts like so:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:223,SPICE! - 鏡音レン
E:\Where all the other files are at\music\Vocaloid\Kagamine Len\SPICE!【鏡音レンオリジナル】.mp3
#EXTINF:280,ディスコティック★ラヴ - 鏡音レン
E:\Where all the other files are at\music\Vocaloid\Kagamine Len\【鏡音レン】ディスコティック★ラヴ【オリジナル曲】.mp3
#EXTINF:233,パラジクロロベンゼン - 鏡音レン
E:\Where all the other files are at\music\Vocaloid\Kagamine Len\【鏡音レン】パラジクロロベンゼン【破壊系洗脳ソング】.mp3
#EXTINF:287,鏡音レンの暴走(LONG VERSION) - 鏡音レン

As you can see, those are the correct songs that should be at the top of my playlist, just like in my screenshot. The rest of the list also seems to be correct all the way down. Yet when I open it in Foobar... It's only a portion of it.

Reply #11
Have you tried exporting the playlist from iTunes in the m3u8 format?

Reply #12
It only lets me export in M3U, TXT, and XML formats.

Reply #13
mp3? I meant m3u. Pardon my derp.

Actually, I have an update. I couldn't open my m3u when I went to it through "Load Playlist" but I could open it from "Open". The problem is, it doesn't have all the songs in the playlist. It's only a small portion of what it should be. What the heck is even going on here...

Loading m3u(exported from iTunes) in fb2k works perfect for me. I have just tried it using latest stable versions of both the player.

It doesn't. I mean that they're still in the order that I dropped them into the playlist. To make this simpler to understand, here's what a playlist looks like in iTunes.

The column that only has an arrow that lists "1, 2, 3, 4, etc" is what I'm talking about. That's the kind of thing I want. It's sort of like a tracklist but just for the playlist. Is there a way to do that?

Actually the foobar is showing the actual tracklist so
for this you need to make a custom column and use %list_index% in pattern

I haven't looked at many m3us in text form like this before, but the list seems to be correct when I open it in notepad.

It starts like so:
As you can see, those are the correct songs that should be at the top of my playlist, just like in my screenshot. The rest of the list also seems to be correct all the way down. Yet when I open it in Foobar... It's only a portion of it.

I don't know what's going wrong in your case but here its loading the playlist as it is in iTunes. See the screenshots from both the players 1st: foobar 2nd iTunes from left to right m3u playlist screenshots

Note: though i have used simplaylist, but it works in the default playlist too.

Edit: Use $max(%list_index%,0) to remove the 0's padding

Reply #14
Have you figured this out?  I've been searching for an answer to the same question, so far without success.

Reply #15
If you need to save a playlist to file, save it to file. The solution is already at your fingertips.
There's no reason for anyone to implement something ever-so-slightly-different than already existing functionality, just because Flagfighter or jmundin2 started a forum thread about it.

Playlists exist to be rearranged, manipulated, duplicated, created and deleted. If you can come to accept that fact, half of you imaginary problems don't exist anymore.
elevatorladylevitateme