IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Release: Dynamic DSP: gives custom effect chains for individual tracks, [was “dynamic dsp”]
WilB
post Apr 3 2014, 22:42
Post #26

Group: Members
Member No.: 33113

Thanks for doing this so promptly.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
popatr
post Apr 4 2014, 16:33
Post #27

Member No.: 10558

ps, in the past I have looked into why the component crashes when launched from view/dsp. I have been unable to figure it out.

The bizarre thing is that when I test with the debugger attached, foobar does not crash, so it doesn't help to step through. What does happen in debug mode is that the chain configure window comes up blank with no dsps in the chain. If anyone has insights into the problem this is one issue I'd be very glad to fix. Although I almost wonder if there is a problem in the framework?

This post has been edited by popatr: Apr 4 2014, 17:29
+Quote Post
EpicForever
post May 1 2014, 20:21
Post #28

Member No.: 93712

After using this plugin for some time I need to ask some question about the way it works...
The question is - does Dynamic DSP insert content of its internally configured DSP chain and lefts rest of chain intact or just... replaces whole chain with the one programmed inside Dynamic DSP?

My normal DSP Chain looks like this:
Dynamic DSP
Skip Silence
Downmix multichannel to stereo
Playback Rate Shift - most of time just set to 100% (unaltered playback rate)
Skip Track

Dynamic DSP is used to occasionally change playback rate on selected tracks. I created additional DSP chains that are used for configuring Dynamic DSP plugin. In general they are copies of my normal regular DSP chain with removed Dynamic DSP and adjusted playback rate via Playback Rate Shift plugin. And I started thinking if this isn't source of my occasional problems with Skip Track component. Initially for some reason I thought that this is obvious that Dynamic DSP must fully replace original DSP chain - that's why all chains used by DDSP are nearly copies of my main chain. But now I wonder if don't cause that for some files (tagged to trigger DDSP) my DSP chain looks like this:

Skip Silence
Playback Rate Shift - set somewhere between 95 and 107%
Skip Track
Skip Silence
Playback Rate Shift (unaltered playback rate)
Skip Track

And I don't care for double Playback Rate Shift occurrence but about Skip Silence and especially about Skip Track...

Popatr - your answer, as the creator of this plugin will be much appreciated.
+Quote Post
popatr
post May 2 2014, 21:25
Post #29

Member No.: 10558

QUOTE (EpicForever @ May 1 2014, 12:21) *
After using this plugin for some time I need to ask some question about the way it works...
The question is - does Dynamic DSP insert content of its internally configured DSP chain and lefts rest of chain intact or just... replaces whole chain with the one programmed inside Dynamic DSP?

My normal DSP Chain looks like this:
Dynamic DSP
Skip Silence
Playback Rate Shift - most of time just set to 100% (unaltered playback rate)
Skip Track

Dynamic DSP is used to occasionally change playback rate on selected tracks. I created additional DSP chains that are used for configuring Dynamic DSP plugin. In general they are copies of my normal regular DSP chain with removed Dynamic DSP and adjusted playback rate via Playback Rate Shift plugin. And I started thinking if this isn't source of my occasional problems with Skip Track component. Initially for some reason I thought that this is obvious that Dynamic DSP must fully replace original DSP chain - that's why all chains used by DDSP are nearly copies of my main chain. But now I wonder if don't cause that for some files (tagged to trigger DDSP) my DSP chain looks like this:

Skip Silence
Playback Rate Shift - set somewhere between 95 and 107%
Skip Track
Skip Silence
Playback Rate Shift (unaltered playback rate)
Skip Track

And I don't care for double Playback Rate Shift occurrence but about Skip Silence and especially about Skip Track...

Popatr - your answer, as the creator of this plugin will be much appreciated.

Dynamic DSP does not replace the whole chain. If I understand your setup, then your illustration of DSP chain with duplicates is a correct understanding of what would happen when dynamic dsp triggers as you have it setup. How you set it up is up to you, but two ideas come to mind:

Main chain looks like this:
Skip Silence
DynamicDSP
Skip Track

DynamicDSP setup:
chain named faster:
playback Rate Shift: 107%

chain named slower:
playback rate shift: 97%

In this case Dynamic DSP becomes a playback rate shift AND that's ALL it controls. Every other effect comes from the normal chain.

ALternate setup:
DynamicDSP

DynamicDSP Setup:
(titleformat script (forgive psuedocode): if %trackdsp% then %trackdsp% else "Default")

chain named "Default":
Skip Silence
Skip Track

chain named "Slower":
Skip Silence
playback rate shift 97%
Skip Track

chain named "faster":
Skip Silence
playback rate shift 107%
Skip Track

Remember, you can put more than one dynamicDSP in a chain with different jobs. You can even put dynamicdsp inside itself.
my main chain looks something like this right now:
main effect
main effect
Dynamic DSP <-this one does drastic things to tracks labeled as poorly recorded speech
Dynamic DSP <-this one shifts playback rate
main effect
main effect

The main effects apply to ALL tracks including those which trigger dynamic DSP
The Dynamic DSPs can trigger independently or together depending on how the tracks are tagged. They each do their own job not knowing what else is going on in the chain.
+Quote Post
EpicForever
post May 3 2014, 09:33
Post #30

Member No.: 93712

Excellent answer !! Thank you !! smile.gif

EDIT:
I decided to do it in this way:
CODE
Skip Silence
DynamicDSP
Skip Track

DynamicDSP setup:
chain named faster:
playback Rate Shift: 107%

chain named slower:
playback rate shift: 97%

as I need to have quick access to Playback Rate Shift plugin under normal circumstances (not triggered) - for example when I just want to play with playback rate on particular track. Hiding "Default" chain inside Dynamic DSP would be inconvenient in this case. Anyway - that's still great idea of setup.

This post has been edited by EpicForever: May 3 2014, 09:46
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 07:49