IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dynamic Range - What is the correct definition?
Stone Free
post Oct 20 2011, 14:50
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17277

There is an article in Sound on Sound, that disagrees that the Pleasurize Music DR Meter by Algorithmix does not actually measure dynamic range.

Some comments about the article - http://productionadvice.co.uk/loudness-war-dynamic-range/

Who is right?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DVDdoug
post Oct 20 2011, 18:33
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 46454

I agree with S.O.S., "This is a surprisingly difficult question to answer." I just don't think you can boil it down to a single number or a symple analysis. I wouldn't be surprised if one person says song A is more dynamic, and another person says song B is more dynamic, especially if the two songs are different styles/genres.

You can have a song with a quiet first-half and a loud 2nd half, and you could have another song where there is a loud "dynamic" snare drum hit in every measure. The numbers & calculations might come-out the same, but your perception of dynamics & loudness might be different. I'd probably say that the 1st one is a "more dynamic song", and that the 2nd song is "played more dynamically".

If you have two releases of the same recording, then yes... I think you can take measurements and dertermine which if the remastered release is more compressed than the previous release.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 11:22