Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problems with Foobar Auto-Sorting music by Track Number (Read 2943 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems with Foobar Auto-Sorting music by Track Number

I need help.. I just downloaded Foobar and I got all of my  music into it. However, when I created a playlist and put an album in there. It should have been automatically sorted by track like 01, 02, 03, etc. However this isn't the case. I am pretty sure my tracks are numbered correctly to, as the only kinds of numbers I have are things like 01, 02, or 1.01, 1.02. I went through the preferences but I couldn't find anything that worked.

For example, I tried doing Preferences -> media library -> album list -> and turning on "create always sorted autoplaylists." but this didn't work. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

Reply #1
I don't know whether it's still the same on foobar2000 1.0+, but on pre 1.0 versions you could find a field labeled "Sort incoming files by" on the page "General". Everytime new elements are inserted, a string, according to the so called title formatting pattern entered there, is created which is then used to sort the inserted files. Have a look at the Title Formatting Reference and form the appropriate pattern, like %album% | %discnumber%.%tracknumber%
("|" does not have a special meaning, it just ensures that sorting works well even with albums having numbers at the end)
Of course you may also sort by %filename% and/or any tag your files may have.

Reply #2
I don't know whether it's still the same on foobar2000 1.0+, but on pre 1.0 versions you could find a field labeled "Sort incoming files by" on the page "General"

It's in "shell integration" now, and it affects only files passed through shell integration, or drag and drop from outside foobar (and can be set to affect files sent by CUI Album list panel).
In all other cases items sent to playlist are sorted as they are parsed (displayed) by appropriate media library viewer. Sorting behavior in with some media library viewers can be customized in their preferences.

I guess OP is using Album list in Default UI, so the files are sent to playlist as they are displayed in Album list.

BTW, this question is asked so many times that I think it should be in FAQ

Reply #3
Alright, I added the line "%album% | %discnumber%.%tracknumber%" after the path_sort thing. However it didn't work. Is this what I am supposed to do? Sorry I'm not to technically advanced.

Reply #4
try add the track numbers to the files:
musicname.mp3
music.mp3
--->
01 - musicname.mp3
02 - music.mp3