Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Public MP3 Listening Test @ 128 kbps - FINISHED (Read 193425 times) previous topic - next topic

Public MP3 Listening Test @ 128 kbps - FINISHED

Reply #200
Just wandered back into HA after a long time (and my system remembered my password).

One thing I note about the "128k" test, is that all encoders other than the low anchor were allowed to average higher than 128k (over the whole sample set), so if reaching 128k for storage capacity/bandwidth costs was required, then they all failed. How they would have compared at 128k ABR, CBR or VBR <= 128k (per sample / all samples) may have played out differently, as they varied from 8.6 to 12.5% over the targer bitrate (average), with greater excursions above and below for particular samples.

Reply #201
Just wandered back into HA after a long time (and my system remembered my password).

One thing I note about the "128k" test, is that all encoders other than the low anchor were allowed to average higher than 128k (over the whole sample set),

To the extent that the samples are selected to be problematic (I don't know if they all were), maybe it's to be expected that they would run higher than the target rate?

Reply #202
I tried to do something about misleading test titles and Sebastian even seemed like he was going to go along with it:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=421117

...oh well!

Reply #203
@Matth:
You may want to read the paragraph "Is it normal that the bitrate is very high on some samples (even 228 kbps)?" from the introduction to the listening test.

Reply #204
Hi to everybody and sorry for my poor english. 

This is my first message to this fourm so I'll try to not to be so unpolite but there is something in this results that surprised me. I worked as biostatistician for 5 years and I cannot understand why all the 95% confidence intervals are equal. 

it is supposed that the 95% error depends on sample size (identical for all the inner grooup) ande the x-mean dispersion. So if there are different appreciations (1 to 5 range) there will be different confidence intervals.

May be there is something I could not achieve    but in a first look it "souns" strange.

And, thank you for this incredible forum (a long time reading until today).