Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HDCD Decoder (Read 327073 times) previous topic - next topic

HDCD Decoder

Reply #200
Enabling it or not doesn't really matter if you use ReplayGain on the resulting tracks with this component installed.

I'd like to add that it only doesn't matter if the tracks were also ReplayGained with the HDCD plugin installed and all users, on all their computers, that use those tracks have the HDCD plugin in their profile as well.

I think turning off the -6dB is the right solution for all of this, thanks a lot for adding this option. After all, IMO the -6dB in the HDCD spec is just a hack (they had better made every track -6dB in the (HD)CD decoder and then raise the output in the analog part, but whatever.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

HDCD Decoder

Reply #201
The -6dB is necessary if any tracks use peak extension, as it can add up to 6dB to the volume.

HDCD Decoder

Reply #202
The -6dB is necessary if any tracks use peak extension, as it can add up to 6dB to the volume.

That is understood, however replaygain will counter the -6dB anyway, so within the setting of foobar it is my preference not to apply it in the first place. Thanks again for providing this choice.

Reasoning:
Foobar2000 handles the audio after decoding in (32bit) floats, so every peak is preserved at that point. Only after applying pre-amp, replaygain and the DSP chain the max values are to be considered, as is the case anyway. It is wise to always put the "Advanced Limiter" at the end of the DSP chain, just in case.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

HDCD Decoder

Reply #203
Except maybe not in Windows Vista and newer, where DirectSound performs its own peak limiting.

HDCD Decoder

Reply #204
I run into a false positive where foo_hdcd says track is hdcd encoded and hdcd.exe says it isn't. hdcd.exe is right here. foo_hdcd is only mislead when playing the song from the start. Oddly the seekbar signature doesn't show like the -6db has been applied. I can provide the song if you feel like diving into it.

HDCD Decoder

Reply #205
hey guys,

Sorry to ask this but I have been trying off and on to figure out how to install the HDCD theme in here into my copy of foobar2000...

I have the PGN file, but I think it's just a graphics file and I can't figure out how it's a FB2K theme.

Usually themes seems to be TFS (I think they are TFS files).

Anyway, I don't see how to import a PNG and get a functioning Foobar system, what plugins do I need, how the heck do I even load it?

Thanks!

HDCD Decoder

Reply #206
Is it possible to add in Advanced Preferences - HDCD decoder a auto function option for

a) halve output volume if Peak Extension is present or
b) don't halve output volume if Peak Extension isn't present.

Thanks

HDCD Decoder

Reply #207
Done.

HDCD Decoder

Reply #210
Monkey's Audio decoder has been updated and now compatible with HDCD decoder.

HDCD Decoder

Reply #211
Hey guys,

I´ve read this entire thread, but still have some questions ...

I have some HDCDs that I want to convert to 24bit wav files - seems there are several ways to get there - which one is the best ?

- using kode54´s HDCD component for foobar - my tracks are correctly displayed as "HDCD" by the scanner, I´ve set the output manually to 24bit before converting - works perfect (tested with Armageddon Score HDCD)
- using eac3to (with command line option -decodehdcd): the tracks are converted to 24bit wav files also - except there is that thing with -6dB
- using MS WMP (as "official" HDCD-capable player) with wav out plugin

... but: what´s the best way to get 24bit wav files and most important is there a difference between these methods ?

audio123

HDCD Decoder

Reply #212
Could it support apple lossless audio code (ALAC )format?

HDCD Decoder

Reply #213
Could it support apple lossless audio code (ALAC )format?
I think that is more a question for Peter. I was kind of surprised that it wasn't added during the last update a week or two ago. I say this because the latest update for Monkey's Audio included it.
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

HDCD Decoder

Reply #214
The developer of the HDCD system also developed the PMD-100 HDCD decoder / digital filter IC. There is no problem to access the 2 Fs output of the decoder. But that wouldn't help, as there is only one digital reconstruction filter inside the chip. So that was not the issue.

I understand from reading this thread that 'filter switching' at output is a red herring, since there was only ever one filter.  But if the PMD-100 used a specific reconstruction filter,  wouldn't faithful software emulation of HDCD decoding require emulating that particular filter?  (leaving aside whether it makes an audible difference)

HDCD Decoder

Reply #215
Done.

On discs "Blondie-No Exit", "Shana Morrison-Caledonia", "Mike Oldfield-Discovery" (HDCD peak extend), the actual result is now -6dB lover level in average (using the VU meter) than other HDCD that don't have the "peak extend" active (Roxy Music, Van Hallen).
The regular CD level is same like the HDCD with no peak extend active.

I can see the reason for -6dB when the "peak extend" is active. But the masterings that I have don't have peaks - or I cannot see them with the VU meter in the Foobar (it has max hold).

HDCD Decoder

Reply #216
Are you sure it's set to the default of only attenuating tracks which have peak extend enabled?

HDCD Decoder

Reply #217
On discs "Blondie-No Exit", "Shana Morrison-Caledonia", "Mike Oldfield-Discovery" (HDCD peak extend), the actual result is now -6dB lover level in average than other HDCD that don't have the "peak extend" active

Are you sure it's set to the default of only attenuating tracks which have peak extend enabled?

apparently that is what happened. Go in Preferences to Advanced->Decoding->HDCD Decoder and set the "halve output volume" (meaning 6 dB attenuation) to the setting of your choice.
Alternatively run the Replaygain scanner again on those discs and it will fix the volume difference (but only in foobar2000).

But the masterings that I have don't have peaks - or I cannot see them with the VU meter in the Foobar (it has max hold).

You don't see the real peaks with the VU meter, use the peak meter for that.  Also, when ReplayGain is applied, the level might be lowered already so peaks will not be as high as you might expect. Lastly, have a look in your DSP chain, because a plugin, like the Advanced Limiter, could "hide peaks" as well.

edit: -6 and attenuation is like a double negative

HDCD Decoder

Reply #218
Yes, the option was selected (default?) to lower the output only on files with PE active. Didn't have the ideea that kode54 have included that option there... Cool!
Thanks for the hint with peak meter too.
The HDCD encoded with PE, can go up to +3dB, the others only to 0dB (like the regular CD's). But in reality only "Blondie-No Exit" does that from the above ones... that is so eery to see the peaks above 0dB.
I need to go and get a Tom Petty disc... from "Playback" box set.
Yes, there it is - also true peak extend! "Jumps" even more than Blondie one! No wonder always sounded sooo good to me... (on my players/receiver with HDCD decoding).

I will let it lower the output for the Peak Extend enabled discs so it doesn't overdrive the output unecessarely - I can always turn up the volume.

PS: I don't use the Replay Gain, I don't like it. Prefer to use the volume slider. Generally try to keep the chain as "clean" as possible... Some upsampling maybe

HDCD Decoder

Reply #219
PS: I don't use the Replay Gain, I don't like it. Prefer to use the volume slider.

What's the difference between RG and volume slider?

HDCD Decoder

Reply #220
PS: I don't use the Replay Gain, I don't like it. Prefer to use the volume slider.

What's the difference between RG and volume slider?

Maybe a bit OT... while the above question seems humorous at first thought, I do wonder what becomes of the relationship when the volume slider is at 100% and the RG value is positive? Is amplification more detrimental to the sound than volume reduction via slider?

HDCD Decoder

Reply #221
I think that volume slider in PC at 100% preserves the maximum sound quality. I am adjusting the actual level with an analog volume control for headphones (I have Creative X-Fi Platinum with the 5-1/4" bay) or via the volume control in my receiver if I am listening on speakers.

Replay Gain is changing the digital audio data. I am maybe just paranoic... I want to have the digital signal "untouched" as much as posssible, only unavoidable DSP operations - like decoding HDCD, eventual the upsampling to 2x-4x...

HDCD Decoder

Reply #222
I think that volume slider in PC at 100% preserves the maximum sound quality. I am adjusting the actual level with an analog volume control for headphones (I have Creative X-Fi Platinum with the 5-1/4" bay) or via the volume control in my receiver if I am listening on speakers.

Replay Gain is changing the digital audio data. I am maybe just paranoic... I want to have the digital signal "untouched" as much as posssible, only unavoidable DSP operations - like decoding HDCD, eventual the upsampling to 2x-4x...

Ok can we please have a simple method to turn off the decoding while still having the reporting functions?  So that those of us with HDCD decoding DAC's can see which files have peak/transient without having to uninstall and reinstall.  Its a hassel and sometimes seems to require a fresh install of foobar just to reistall the HDCDdll after previously installing it

Thanks,  great plugin otherwise..

HDCD Decoder

Reply #223
Play those files with another software player that will output to SPDIF?
I did move the "foo_hdcd.dll" file from "Components" folder to the main folder of foobar and use the "Install" to add it to foobar. Now I have for it option "Remove" click-able...

HDCD Decoder

Reply #224
The component does not need to be placed anywhere in the foobar2000 installation folder to use the Install... feature. In fact, placing the component in the installation folder (but not the components folder) does nothing. Installing places the component in the user-components folder, which is located inside the user profile folder.