Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Weird results using foo_flaccer (Read 6037 times) previous topic - next topic

Weird results using foo_flaccer

Hi,

foo_flaccer.dll seems to act very strange for me. Whenever I encode a file using foo_flaccer (I'm keeping full albums stored as single FLAC files) and want to play it back afterwards, seeking is terribly slow.
Also, some of the tracks (I'm using a seperate .CUE file) can't be played back at all.
The console just comes up and says something like this:
ERROR (CORE) : error opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://F:\FLAC\Black HipHop, RnB\Obie Trice\(2003) Cheers\Obie Trice - (2003) Cheers.cue" (6)

It also seems that decoding is very slow.

The weird thing is, when I'm using the CLI encoder along with flac.exe (1.1.0) from the FLAC homepage, seeking is almost instantly and all the tracks can be played back. Decoding is quite fast too. The playback generally seems much smoother.

I don't know if that helps, but I'm using an AthlonXP2200+, fully patched WinXP SP1, an SBAudigy Player and foobar0.8b6. The problem exists in foobar 0.7.7b too as far as I saw.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I just noticed this might fit better in the Support forum, but didn't find a move or delete function anywhere so... sorry

Reply #1
Just tested it and I can confirm it. (fb2k 0.8 beta 6 + foo_flaccer 0.4.0).

The output flac-file is missing the SEEKTABLE block, thus making seeking very slow for large files.

Reply #2
I just noticed that one of my CLI-encoded FLAC files has got the same problem with one track not being able to be played back... anyone know what's up with that?

I got suspicious because I added replaygain info to alle the tracks and one of them says +0.00dB. The file has obviously been skipped. If I try to play it back I get the error described above. All the other tracks from the album play fine. Kind of weird as it is the same file for all of them.

Edit: I uploaded an image for you to see.

Reply #3
Hi Greeny,

Sorry for going off topic, but are those percentages in your screenshot ("FLAC(62%)") the compression ratios? If so, how do you get them?

Reply #4
Hi Greeny,

Sorry for going off topic, but are those percentages in your screenshot ("FLAC(62%)") the compression ratios? If so, how do you get them?

It's the FLAC files' sizes compared to the WAVs' sizes.
You can do it like that:
Code: [Select]
$muldiv(%__bitrate%,100,1411)

Reply #5
That's nice. Thanks!

Reply #6
I am tired of FLAC library and won't be working on foo_flaccer anymore. People who need FLAC support should stick to using flac.exe

Reply #7
Too bad a good file format seems to have an developer-unfriendly library.  I guess we can still use the CLI for FLAC.exe.  Unless someone else picks up on Case's good work.

Reply #8
Fair enough, thanks for the response Case.

But I still wonder why I can't seek up to certain tracks.
It works if I embed the cuesheet in the FLAC file, but can it be that the format NEEDS to have seekpoints where the tracks begin?

I rather think there's some bug in foo_flac, but tell me if I'm wrong

Reply #9
But I still wonder why I can't seek up to certain tracks.
It works if I embed the cuesheet in the FLAC file, but can it be that the format NEEDS to have seekpoints where the tracks begin?

I rather think there's some bug in foo_flac, but tell me if I'm wrong

Bug in libflac. It has been reported to Coalson and as far as I know he has been sent links to samples where this occurs.

Reply #10
Ok, thanks for the information.

Reply #11
OK, the problem that was causing playback to stop after some seeks has been fixed in libFLAC in CVS (see end of thread here).

as for the problem with slow seeking on large files with no seektable, I have a patch that speeds that up drastically; I haven't committed it yet until I do some more testing.

Josh