Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 on Windows 2012 Server R2 (Read 2483 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 on Windows 2012 Server R2

Hi,

I'm trying to use foobar2000 on Windows 2012 Server R2, but I can't set the audio folder on it, and below is the dialog to add the Library:

I'm using v1.3.6

Thanks for your support!

Reply #1
Strange, it should not show that dialog. I get the regular Open folder browser dialog (Windows 8.1).

As a workaround, you should be able to type/paste the path to the folder.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #2
I can't reproduce that issue with Server 2012 R2 I have running here. It's regular GUI install (not Core) but without any of the optional desktop experience parts.

Reply #3
I'm using Core Edition, so maybe this is the issue?

Maybe I should go to GUI Edition, set the Library, and go back to Core Edition...

Reply #4
"It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient" © Kohlrabi

Reply #5
i thought the whole point of core edition was to run services in the background and maybe remote in to it for administrative tasks. if you want an interactive desktop then you run standard edition. :/

Reply #6
Worked in Minimal or GUI Edition...

Thanks.

Re: foobar2000 on Windows 2012 Server R2

Reply #7
can I know how to run Foobar2k in Server Core mode ?

I switch from GUI to Core and the moment I run foobar, it says missing Dsound.dll. I believe they are more settings to do.

in core mode, I managed to get the Kernel streaming to work by following copying the ksthunk and ksuser files.

Re: foobar2000 on Windows 2012 Server R2

Reply #8
Using Windows Server Core does not improve your sound quality, despite the claims. If your machine is fast enough to keep sound card or DAC buffers filled it doesn't matter what other things are going on.
Kernel Streaming is ancient technology. It shouldn't work on Vista or newer but it can if your sound device drivers are designed for Windows XP. You are supposed to use WASAPI on anything after XP, if bit-perfect output is required.