Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best Oggenc parameter (Read 5200 times) previous topic - next topic

Best Oggenc parameter

I'm now going from lame to ogg, and I have no clue what parameter is best. I've tested some, but I want your opinion.
Quality is most important, but size matters some (no 256Kb for me).
I'm encoding both in linux and win*.
So, should I set it to 128, 160 or higher.
I'm not going to encode anything before RC3 is out.

Can anyone help me out?

Best Oggenc parameter

Reply #1
Originally posted by metrom
I'm now going from lame to ogg, and I have no clue what parameter is best. I've tested some, but I want your opinion.
Quality is most important, but size matters some (no 256Kb for me).
I'm encoding both in linux and win*.
So, should I set it to 128, 160 or higher.
I'm not going to encode anything before RC3 is out.

Can anyone help me out?

If you aren't going to encode anything before RC3 is out, why ask this question? Whatever answers you'll get will be outdated when you start encoding.

Even then, it'll depend on your equipment and ears. Some people are liking 64kbps. I personally wouldn't touch a bitrate that low.

I use my own tuned mode for now.

--
GCP

Best Oggenc parameter

Reply #2
I heard ogg RC3 was due out last week, so I thought it would be really close now. Some people have heard some preRC3 encodings, so they whould have some clue.

I'm going to encode stuff for the public, free stuff, so consider that the ears and equipment might be good.

Best Oggenc parameter

Reply #3
Originally posted by metrom
I heard ogg RC3 was due out last week, so I thought it would be really close now. Some people have heard some preRC3 encodings, so they whould have some clue.

I'm going to encode stuff for the public, free stuff, so consider that the ears and equipment might be good.

The only thing that is remotely close to RC3 are the daily builds from CVS, but those only contain 128bkps modes.

The higher end modes will borrow a bit from my tuned version, but will be different at the same time, so that doesn't help you either.

I think there's just no answer to your question. We will know what to use with RC3 when it comes out, not before

--
GCP