Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Are there still programs that can't read WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE head (Read 3789 times) previous topic - next topic

Are there still programs that can't read WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE head

Subject says it all.  I'm guessing there are programs that never upgraded.  Are there any that I should care about?

Reply #1
I've seen a few MP3 players that play it as if it were a few extra PCM samples stuck on the front of the file.

Reply #2
Don't know what you mean by "programs", but since we're in Lossless Codecs forum... Monkey's Audio encoder don't support it.
(And also Musepack, but it's lossy.)

Reply #3
Don't know what you mean by "programs", but since we're in Lossless Codecs forum... Monkey's Audio encoder don't support it.
(And also Musepack, but it's lossy.)

Any program.  Encoder, player, whatever.  Although that's two almost-obsolete programs, they are certainly still used.  How do they deal with stuff like float samples and multi-channel?  Or don't they?  I know mpcenc accepts more than 16 bit input, so presumably just abusing the legacy WAV header format?

Reply #4
They both can't deal with more than stereo WAVs.

24-bit int, 32-bit int, 32-bit float can be represented with WAVAFORMATEX (although it's not recommended by MS). So yes, that's what Monkey's Audio and Musepack encoders accept as input.

Reply #5
I've been playing with mpcenc (Musepack) and I can't get it to accept 32 bit float input at all.  I think only int input with the original WAVE_FORMAT_PCM format code.

Looks like mac (Monkeys Audio encoder) is very similar, but I'm less bothered by that.