Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is anyone here using onboard audio? (Read 22660 times) previous topic - next topic

Is anyone here using onboard audio?

Reply #25
I can often find the source of grounding problems by means of visual inspection, but so far this one has eluded me.
Curious, how do you identify grounding problems? What do I have to look for?

Reply #26
I can often find the source of grounding problems by means of visual inspection, but so far this one has eluded me.
Curious, how do you identify grounding problems? What do I have to look for?

Grounding problems give you background noise that follow the general activity level on the machine.

Reply #27
Yes, I know that, I meant which visual cues can I look for to identify the source?

Reply #28
Yes, I know that, I meant which visual cues can I look for to identify the source?

A couple of simple things to look for. Make sure the audio "ground" (more correctly called common) is not shared with the front USB port and is not grounded to the metal case. The only currents that should return (through the audio common wire to the audio header), is the net return current of the headphones themselves.

Reply #29

I wish I knew!

I don't see a lot of difference between the case that seems to have poor grounding, and the ones that don't.

The offending case is quite a bit older then the ones that work well.

Re: Is anyone here using onboard audio?

Reply #30
Yeah,
I found this one topic and post in here in hope of adding something to this discussion also trying to solve a personal issue.

Now I have this REALTEK sound chip on a windows 7 Intel 6th gen laptop (asus u46) and It goes with  ALC262 driver AND I would like to use it only as a headphone output those times when I move the laptop from its usual position where I can output it through an external aoundcard BUT in the last three reinstallation of the OS I had never been able to have the headphone out working rightly BECAUSE after a few seconds of playing one of the two channells drop and only one headphone works...
Has anyone there have the same problem of mine ? And has anyone found where the problem and the solution is?

Actually I am trying to see if using the driver ALC260 could work but i had to ask it to Realtek support because it disappeared from the download section of their website.... AND I have already tried to revert the machine to XP and tried their XP version of ALC262 (also disappeared and which graphically is much better than the win7 version -strangely?!- ) but have the same problem dropping one channel after some time of playing (only some times with all windows services deactivated -except essentials- and playing tracks on Wamp only it seemed to deliver fairly good sound to both channels for a prolonged time..
BTW does anyone know a good drivers' download website (I've seen many and trusted none). What's best choice for you audiophiles?

Re: Is anyone here using onboard audio?

Reply #31
after a few seconds of playing one of the two channells drop and only one headphone works...
That might be a hardware problem.

BTW does anyone know a good drivers' download website (I've seen many and trusted none). What's best choice for you audiophiles?
Nowadays Windows can automatically download drivers that are usually good enough. If you want to try installing a newer driver than the one Windows picked, check the PC manufacturer's website. For example, you have an Asus laptop, so you should download drivers from the Asus website.

You typically shouldn't download drivers from the chip manufacturer unless you've already tried both Windows and the PC manufacturer and neither worked.