Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: It's been asked before (using 2 soundcards) (Read 3300 times) previous topic - next topic

It's been asked before (using 2 soundcards)

OK, I feel a bit dumb asking this, as it's been asked on so many forums before, but so many experts here I can't help it...

Anyway, I think I'm keeping my SB PCI128 sound card installed when the new Audiophile 24/96 comes in.  Managed to free up an IRQ by taking out my dialup modem (I rarely use it anyway), hopefully it will be assigned to the 24/96.

Any specific pitfalls to using a PCI128 and Audiophile 24/96 at the same time?  I want the PCI128 for the mic-level input, the wavetable MIDI for web pages, the joystick port, and for system beeps.  The Audiophile 24/96 will be used for general wave output in various apps, and for analog line in (recording LP's to CD-R), perhaps other future uses with semi-pro audio apps.

Any input welcome... is it always a sticky situation to have two sound cards installed at once, or can they work together smoothly?  This is on Win98SE, if it means anything.  It would be helpful to know about specific pitfalls with either of these two cards cooperating, especially related to DirectX, the Windows Volume Control mixer and such...

Thanks...

Reply #1
I've had an audiophile 2496 and SB-live co-exist OK. To be fair, I was never happy with the SB-live, but it was no worse with the audiophile 2496 present.

Windows, and most software, is happy with multiple sound cards.

Actively using more than one at once is also possible, but I've not managed that with a creative product. I have with 2 decent sound cards, and a decent sound card + a crappy on-board sound card (both playing at once, or one playing, one recording).

Sorry I can't comment on your exact situation - but since no one else replied...

Cheers,
David.

Reply #2
I have had a SantaCruz and an Audiophile working in the same computer without any conflict at all.

Reply #3
Gday..

interesting to try out..

BTW: have anybody surfed by a pure mono card.??

Reply #4
Gday..

interesting to try out..

BTW: have anybody surfed by a pure mono card.??

It would definitely be handy, since the Audiophile 24/96 is lacking in most  "casual" features (joystick port, wavetable synth, mic level input, internal CD music connector).  Also, with system beeps & prompts handled by the PCI128 (of course I could always turn them off), I think there won't be any sample-rate switching or forced upsampling to worry about.

Seems like the perfect arrangement... my cheap PC speakers get hooked to the PCI128, and hook a high quality headphones to the 24/96 for "serious" listening and other audio uses that need the quality (including S/PDIF in/out, which I don't have a use for now but probably will someday).

Sorry, haven't run into any pure mono cards... what would be the need for such a card (just curious)?

Reply #5
Gday..

have been kinda kewl.. to record two mono
and do the downmixing yourself..

Reply #6
Greetings,

My audiophile and cmedia onboard sound coexist without problems.  I use the cmedia for general computer beeps and as an input for my TV tuner card mostly, as you mentioned.  You never know the audiophile is there until you select it in whatever recording app you're using.  Just for the hell of it I tried recording using it and the cmedia for a total of 4 channels with samplitude.  No problem, though I don't recall how bad the latency was.  It was just a quick test. 

Also, the audiophile (and other deltas) don't use the windows mixer.  When you install the driver it drops a mixer control into your control panel.  It's best to make a shortcut for this in your quicklaunch or on the desktop as it allows you to wire the input directly to the output for listening while recording.  Very nice.

My audiophile was $147USD after taxes at guitar center  a little over a year ago.  How much are they now?

mobius
Gur svggrfg funyy fheivir lrg gur hasvg znl yvir. Jr zhfg ercrng.

Reply #7
Greetings,

My audiophile and cmedia onboard sound coexist without problems.  I use the cmedia for general computer beeps and as an input for my TV tuner card mostly, as you mentioned.  You never know the audiophile is there until you select it in whatever recording app you're using.  Just for the hell of it I tried recording using it and the cmedia for a total of 4 channels with samplitude.  No problem, though I don't recall how bad the latency was.  It was just a quick test. 

Also, the audiophile (and other deltas) don't use the windows mixer.  When you install the driver it drops a mixer control into your control panel.  It's best to make a shortcut for this in your quicklaunch or on the desktop as it allows you to wire the input directly to the output for listening while recording.  Very nice.

My audiophile was $147USD after taxes at guitar center  a little over a year ago.  How much are they now?

mobius

I paid $149 for mine (free shipping) from Newegg.com.  As far as I know that's about the going "street price" in the USA, altho I didn't bother to look at a lot of different places.  I've bought from Newegg twice before and they're pretty trustworthy... I tend not to trust the deep discounters much (if one could even find a deeply discounted retail version of the Audiophile).

Reply #8
I've got a Marian Marc 2 and an SB 64 PCI V in Windows XP.
No conflict.
The SB is the default one (as defined in the control panel).
Actually, from a strictly software point of view, I've got three soundcards, since the analog and digital parts of the Marian are handled as two different soundcards.

The issues is that DVDs are played on the SB64, and Soundforge doesn't let me specify what soundcard I want by default.
If I want to use the Marian for DVDs, I must go through the control panel and default the Marian. If I want to use it with soundforge, I must go to Soundforge options everytime. I really hope it's fixed in SoundForge 5.
Winamp and Samplitude are setup for the Marian. It works well.
I think that Windows Media Player and Quicktime can't be setup for a soudcard, thus they use the SB64 (default).

Reply #9
fwetch,

I've got an AP2496 and a SB PCI128 running together.  No problems what-so-ever.  SB takes the sound from my TV card, AP does everything else.

The AP did drop a few samples every once in a while when I first installed it.  I solved that by moving it to a different slot.

I'm running Win2k.

BTW M-Audio have just released the final version of the Delta_WDM_51000029 driver, in case anyone's interested.  Works fine, but then so did the old one.

Reply #10
The issues is that DVDs are played on the SB64, and Soundforge doesn't let me specify what soundcard I want by default.
If I want to use the Marian for DVDs, I must go through the control panel and default the Marian. If I want to use it with soundforge, I must go to Soundforge options everytime. I really hope it's fixed in SoundForge 5.
Winamp and Samplitude are setup for the Marian. It works well.

Huh... how come Sound Forge doesn't let you specify the soundcard?  Which version is this?

I'm using 4.5e, and under Option/Preferences/Wave it looks like there's a setting... are you saying the setting doesn't stick between sessions?

Well, that would be a pain in the tail if it happens... will have to see what happens here after I receive the card.  I won't upgrade to v5.0 because of the cost, and also I have the "old" noise reduction plugin which makes it really easy to track and destroy clicks and pops manually, one at a time -- and it's not DirectX, but integrates with Sound Forge.  As far as I know, it only works with the v4.x versions.

PS, related issue -- is there any real advantage to recording from analog in at 24/96 (or 16/88.2 perhaps) and downsampling?  Doesn't seem so from here, but wondering if you have an opinion...