Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: First perceptual lossy codec? (Read 3308 times) previous topic - next topic

First perceptual lossy codec?

Just out of curiosity and interest in history, what was the first lossy compression method that was based upon perceptual/psychoacoustic principles (= not waveform prediction like ADPCM or companding like u-law or NICAM)? Was it MP1, ATRAC or were there codecs like that before?

First perceptual lossy codec?

Reply #1
In the scientific literature, the earliest experiments I can recall are by Atal and Schroeder, based on linear predictive coding (LPC):

Predictive Coding of Speech Signals and Subjective Error Criteria (IEEE Trans. ASSP, 1979. Conference paper is from 1978)

For music, developments started only in the mid 80s, I think. There's a paper by Johnston (Woodinville or JJ here on HA):

Transform Coding of Audio Signals Using Perceptual Noise Criteria (IEEE Journal Sel. Areas in Comm., 1988. Paper manuscript is from 1987)

So yes, MPEG 1 Layer 1 with a perceptual encoder according to JJ's paper is what I consider the first perceptual codec. There might also be a CELP speech codec from that time with the Atal/Schroeder perceptual model.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.