Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I need a new command-line MP3 tagger (Read 7131 times) previous topic - next topic

I need a new command-line MP3 tagger

I keep my main music library in FLAC, but keep a transcoded MP3 'mirror' library for use on my iPod.  I had been using YamiPod to load music onto the iPod, but recently checked out the latest iTunes and have switched to using it instead.  One thing I see in iTunes is support for an ARTISTSORT tag (TSOP frame) and would like to use this to sort individual artists by last name on the iPod.

To do the transcoding I use a script that I wrote in VBScript which in turn shells out to programs like FLAC, MetaFLAC and LAME to do most of the work.  I've been using MetaMp3 to transfer tags that LAME is incapable of adding during the encoding stage.  Unfortunately, though, MetaMP3 won't add the TSOP frame.

MetaMP3 looks like it's no longer being developed.  Has anything better come along?

Reply #1
this is not it?

Usage
-----
metamp3.exe [options] [mp3files]

options:

--user-text [[desc]]<text>     add user text frame (TXXX)

Reply #2
Thanks, but I've been able to add TXXX frames with no problem.  Does me no good.  I need to be able to add a TSOP frame.

Moderation: Removed unnecessary quote of the previous post.

Reply #3
looks like it is currently only supported in "eyeD3" python script

Reply #4
Did you try already something like: lame -V2 --tv "TSOP=test test test" a.wav a.mp3

Reply #5
Ah, thank you!  This is new to LAME 3.98.  Reading the documentation, I assumed that this would create TXXX frames.

Can it also be used to create TXXX frames?  If so, how?

Reply #6
lame -V2 --tv "TXXX=this is a txxx frame" a.wav

Reply #7
I tried that, but it doesn't create a TXXX frame that programs (e.g. Mp3tag) will recognize.  A TXXX frame has two parts: a Description and a Value.

http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0#head-29e37534e169...e345028f3db7c3f

Reply #8
Ok, then it's currently not possible to specify TXXX frames at commandline (the $00 requirement will kill any attempt right now). We may add it, if somebody needs it.

Reply #9
Ok, thanks.  Please consider it.  Maybe a --tx option, with the same syntax as --tv.

--tx "Description=Value"

Moderation: Removed unnecessary quote of the previous post.  Please use either the fast reply or add reply button at the bottom of the discussion.

Reply #10
(bump)
Any news?
With that --tx option it'd be way easier to convert lossless to mp3 without scanning ReplayGain info for a second time. I believe this feature isn't very difficult to implement.