Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DSP chain [de]serialization helper (Read 23583 times) previous topic - next topic

DSP chain [de]serialization helper

DSP chain serialization helper

This helper is useful for sharing of chain presets between different Foobar2000 installations and users.

Hold Shift to access its commands in the Playback menu:

Files produced by the helper have fbcp extension.

The component: [attachment=6368:foo_chain_impexp.zip][source code]

Reply #1

DSP chain serialization helper

This helper is useful for sharing of chain presets between different Foobar2000 setups.

Hold Shift to access its commands in the Playback menu:

Files produced by the helper have fbcp extension.

The component: [attachment=6368:foo_chain_impexp.zip][source code]

What's the difference between this and exporting/importing DSP profiles?

Reply #2
May be none at all if such a feature really exists. As “developer”, it's awkward for me to ask but... How do you export/import these profiles anyway?

Reply #3
Sandrine: This component can store a DSP chain configuration in a separate file, whereas the DSP chain management in the foobar2000 preferences stores DSP chains in the foobar2000 configuration. This component can be used to transfer DSP chain configurations between different foobar2000 installations.

Entrase: May I suggest to rename the "DSP chain serializer" menu entry to "DSP chain"? It's simpler and less technical.

Also the menu entries show as "Load..." and "Save as..." in the menu and "Load" and "Save" in the keyboard shortcuts. Is there a reason why you chose to present the names differently? Maybe consider calling them "Import..." and "Export..." to emphasize there is no inherent connection between the current DSP chain and the last loaded/saved file.

Reply #4
It would be a good idea to handle possible IO exceptions during file operations.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #5
Sandrine: This component can store a DSP chain configuration in a separate file, whereas the DSP chain management in the foobar2000 preferences stores DSP chains in the foobar2000 configuration. This component can be used to transfer DSP chain configurations between different foobar2000 installations.

Ah, right. For a moment there my memory played tricks on me and I thought that the presets were saved to actual files instead of core.cfg, much like in the kx driver.

Reply #6
May I suggest to rename the "DSP chain serializer" menu entry to "DSP chain"? It's simpler and less technical.
Actually there was "DSP chain" until I released the component. It was an internal tool for testing of an effect adapter. The problem is that "DSP chain" is esentially the same as "DSP settings" in the given context.
Also the menu entries show as "Load..." and "Save as..." in the menu and "Load" and "Save" in the keyboard shortcuts. Is there a reason why you chose to present the names differently?
There were some thoughts but I'm not sure about them :-D Yes, these entries should be...
"Import..." and "Export..."
It would be a good idea to handle possible IO exceptions during file operations.
It'd be excellent idea. I just didn't bother doing it in a little dev utility that nobody needs. May be it's not so useless after all :)

Perhaps it also needs some kind of a warning to show if a DSP is missing.

Reply #7
For me does not show in the playback menu or elsewhere. I can't find it.

Reply #8
All menus [main and context] are abbreviated unless you use Shift+key.
In this case, Shift + Playback

Reply #9
Perhaps I am just slow but I still don't really get how to use it.  I don't see it anywhere and holding shift anywhere or pressing anything while holding shift doesn't do anything.  Thanks!

Reply #10
Anybody could help me out?

Sorry for reviving an old thread and now double-posting XD

Re: DSP chain [de]serialization helper

Reply #11
Ok, well, this doesn't work.  It would be nice if somebody could actually get this going again.  It's kind of the last thing missing from me being able to install my playback configuration for people because otherwise, it takes way too long manually setting up every parameter of each DSP in the chain...

Reply #12
I'm not sure I understand the issue.
After a correct installation of the component it works as expected (foobar2000 1.3.11 beta 4).
Clicking Playback in the menu while pressing the Shift key I get what is shown in the screenshot.
A short test including saving and loading different DSP settings gave no problems.
The only drawback found so far is that the component doesn't remember where the DSP settings files (.fbcp) are saved; you'll have to find the location manually.

(I should be evident that the component only saves DSP settings, nothing else.)

Reply #13
I'm not sure I understand the issue.
After a correct installation of the component it works as expected (foobar2000 1.3.11 beta 4).
Clicking Playback in the menu while pressing the Shift key I get what is shown in the screenshot.
A short test including saving and loading different DSP settings gave no problems.
The only drawback found so far is that the component doesn't remember where the DSP settings files (.fbcp) are saved; you'll have to find the location manually.

(I should be evident that the component only saves DSP settings, nothing else.)

Oooh, well the screenshot pretty much answers everything.  I must say that is a very unexpected place for it to be given what it does and literally where nothing else goes, and no matter how much "Playback" was mentioned, it was completely unclear this is what was entailed.  Thank you for finally making it obvious.  Over the many times that I came back to this trying to figure it out again, probably wasted at least hour shift+clicking and shift+ right-clicking everywhere!  The only connection I made with "Playback" was the playback buttons.  What an odd context menu to have.

Anyway, thanks again!

Reply #14
What an odd context menu to have.
DSP is certainly related to playback. Where else would it go?  :)

Reply #15
... me being able to install my playback configuration for people because otherwise ...
If you had tried to create shortcuts for the two available actions, you would actually have got a hint of their type and position in the hierarchy, namely [main], not [context]. See screenshot.
Anyway, time has come to share your presets ad libitum, I suppose ;D.

Reply #16
What an odd context menu to have.
DSP is certainly related to playback. Where else would it go?  :)
"View", where all the DSP options are XD

Sorry for the late response.  Wasn't e-mailed the responses for some reason.

... me being able to install my playback configuration for people because otherwise ...
If you had tried to create shortcuts for the two available actions, you would actually have got a hint of their type and position in the hierarchy, namely [main], not [context]. See screenshot.
Anyway, time has come to share your presets ad libitum, I suppose ;D.

Yeah, well, past a certain point when you've exhausted anything which would possibly make sense (to you), you sort of assume it's likely not working XD

Not sure my DSP presets are actually that interesting.  They're either slight mods of existing virtual surround emulations already posted or they're just proper chains for getting the best possible quality (without enhancements, other than upsampling) for a stereo playback setup from any input source (with a VST meter for a representation of dynamics).  Perhaps the only one worth sharing (unless the others are requested by others, as it does actually require a decent amount of thought in terms of what, how, and in what order) is the one I most often use which utilizes very subtle crossover and saturation enhancements making sound in headphones that tad bit more pleasant.

Reply #17
Just came across this (having totally forgotten earlier).  Better late than never XD

Also, I meant to say crossfeed, not crossover -__-