Reply to this topicStart new topic
What do you guys think about this Headphone, For using with my computer
tcmjr
post Sep 18 2003, 17:17
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4429

Hello , I know almost everybody recomend Senheiser
But the good models ppl recomend are too expensive here in Brazil , and way out my budget.

I saw yesterday a Philips SBCHP800 , They looked nice and they might have good quality and is on the limit of my budget.
What do yall think about this model ? Is it worth it ?

Here is a .pdf about this headphone

http://www.consumer.philips.com/global/b2c...bchp800_lft.pdf

and a picture of it

http://www.consumer.philips.com/global/b2c.../sbchp800_h.jpg

Is it good to buy ? I am using it to listen my mp3 on my computer , games , dvd ...

Thanks for you time.

Tadeu

Edited: Btw , I have a Audigy 1 platinum with Audigy 2 drivers.

This post has been edited by tcmjr: Sep 18 2003, 17:52

--------------------
Kind Regards , Tcmjr

Aka HellSnoopy
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JeanLuc
post Sep 18 2003, 19:22
Post #2

Member No.: 2213

Do you have a local dealer that can offer you several headphones in this price range for a listening test ? Or can you listen to that headphone model ? If it sounds OK to you, then everything should be fine ... biggrin.gif

BTW: Sennheiser and Soby have cheaper models with decent sound-price-relation as well ...

--------------------
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper
+Quote Post
Sebastian Mares
post Sep 18 2003, 20:03
Post #3

Member No.: 6613

I have those headphones and I can't say they're good. Actually, they are pretty bad. No bass and no high tones.

--------------------
http://listening-tests.hydrogenaudio.org/sebastian/
+Quote Post
_Balint_
post Sep 18 2003, 21:06
Post #4

Member No.: 3786

QUOTE (tcmjr @ Sep 18 2003, 06:17 PM)
I saw yesterday a Philips SBCHP800
[...]
Is it worth it ?

Worth how much exactly?

I don't know the 800 model but I bought a pair of SBCHP250 for my parents last Christmas for ~ $10 (it was on sale IIRC but shouldn't be much more expensive now). My parents are very anti-audiophile people and they're completely satisfied with the sound quality. I've also tried those headphones (only for a very short period of time, I have to admit) and IMHO they provide excellent value. For $10 they're relatively comfortable and sound relatively good. I couldn't wear them for hours like my Beyerdynamic phones but they're OK and they don't have any annoying audible flaws.
So if you're on a low budget I can recommend the cheap Philips phones. smile.gif

Now it's even more of an impossible task to explain to my parents why I needed to buy those expensive ($150) Beyerdynamic phones if I could've bought almost the same thing for just $10. They admit the Beyer's are of higher build quality but they can't notice any significant differences in sound quality... blink.gif
+Quote Post
freakngoat
post Sep 18 2003, 22:42
Post #5

Member No.: 979

I don't know anything about those particular headphones, but you should try asking this question on headwize.com or head-fi.org. How much are they? Koss has some good cheap headphones; avoid all Sony's in the lower price ranges (<$200) except for the V6 or 7506 which are excellent. Senn Mx-300 buds are suppose to be good.
+Quote Post
tcmjr
post Sep 19 2003, 06:24
Post #6

Member No.: 4429

Well they are costing about 97 R$ (Brazilian Real) , thats about 35 US dollars.
They have those SBCHP250 here too for about 56 R$ , that about 28 Us Dollars..

And I have no option of trying them.
=[

--------------------
Kind Regards , Tcmjr

Aka HellSnoopy
+Quote Post
gutzalpus
post Sep 19 2003, 06:41
Post #7

Member No.: 536

Are Grado SR-60's out of your price range? At $60-$70 US (new) they sound absolutely great for the price.

I've also heard very good things about Koss PortaPros, although I have not heard the phones myself. They go for about $40 US. If you don't want to go for the grados I'd try to get the PortaPros.
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Sep 19 2003, 11:49
Post #8

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

QUOTE (_Balint_ @ Sep 18 2003, 08:06 PM)
Now it's even more of an impossible task to explain to my parents why I needed to buy those expensive ($150) Beyerdynamic phones if I could've bought almost the same thing for just $10. They admit the Beyer's are of higher build quality but they can't notice any significant differences in sound quality... blink.gif

Trust me mate - it's even worse when it's your wife that can't hear a difference!

She can't hear a difference between the mono TV speaker and the hi-fi system. Really! In fact, I can switch one stereo loudspeaker on and off, and she couldn't detect it if her life depended on it.

But luckily we don't try to stop each other buying things. I don't understand why she needs so many shoes and recipe books, and she doesn't understand why I need so many gramophones and records! And very happy we both are.

Cheers,
David.

P.S. she has many more pairs of shoes than I have pieces of audio equipment.
+Quote Post
fewtch
post Sep 19 2003, 19:08
Post #9

Member No.: 1261

QUOTE (gutzalpus @ Sep 18 2003, 10:41 PM)
I've also heard very good things about Koss PortaPros, although I have not heard the phones myself.  They go for about $40 US.  If you don't want to go for the grados I'd try to get the PortaPros.

I have a pair of Koss KTX-Pro, which I've read use the same drivers as the PortaPros. They sound decent for portable use, but imo bass is way overemphasized (and muddy too) -- otherwise, they're good for the price, less than $20. The KTX-Pro is discontinued and replaced by the Koss KTX-Pro1 which again probably uses identical drivers, but has a much snazzier, hyper-modern look.

My guess is the main advantage with the Portapro/Sportapro is the build quality... KTX-Pro are cheaply built and don't last long under heavy usage. If it wasn't for that bass issue, I'd say they're as good as Grado SR60 and maybe even improve on them in some respects (less "in your face" sound and cleaner treble).

This post has been edited by fewtch: Sep 19 2003, 19:46

--------------------
Bring back dynamic range... www.loudnessrace.net
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 14:52