Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: QAAC: discussion, questions, feature requests, etc. (Read 690924 times) previous topic - next topic

QAAC: discussion, questions, feature requests, etc.

Reply #650
https://github.com/nu774/qaac/wiki/Encoder-configuration

TVBR quality steps

Although TVBR option allows arbitrary value in 0-127 range, internally AAC codec has only 15 actually functional quality steps, therefore the value is get rounded to one of the following:
0    9    18    27    36    45    54    63    73    82    91    100    109    118    127

Reply #652
Not useless because it's the reason why it must be Q63, Q73, Q82 and so on, and not Q60, Q70, Q80 because the encoder always falls back to the default values.

Reply #653
Not useless because it's the reason why it must be Q63, Q73, Q82 and so on, and not Q60, Q70, Q80 because the encoder always falls back to the default values.

No shit? That's the reason I'm asking if nu774 can change them.

Sorry for the misunderstanding if someone didn't get that 

Reply #654
As I understand it it's an encoder (CoreAudioToolbox.dll) limitation, not a QAAC.exe one.
But I might be wrong

Reply #655
As I understand it it's an encoder (CoreAudioToolbox.dll) limitation, not a QAAC.exe one.
But I might be wrong

Yes I think so, but I am trying to understand if it's only the range or the exact fallback number as well.

Reply #656
Some nice news on the foobar2000 site:

Latest news

2014-07-03
New release: foobar2000 v1.3.3 beta 1.
Download...
Read change log...
Free Encoder Pack now includes QAAC allowing the new foobar2000 version to use iTunes AAC encoder.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Reply #657
Some nice news on the foobar2000 site:

Latest news

2014-07-03
New release: foobar2000 v1.3.3 beta 1.
Download...
Read change log...
Free Encoder Pack now includes QAAC allowing the new foobar2000 version to use iTunes AAC encoder.

At this point he could even add ALAC with refalac, no Apple software needed.

Reply #658
At this point he could even add ALAC with refalac, no Apple software needed.

Apart from Apple Application Support, of course.

Reply #660
Nope, refalac is standalone.

I took your post to mean with QAAC and refalac, no Apple software needed. You're quite right, of course.

Reply #661
Hi all,
Searching for a way to convert my FLAC library to AAC, I stumbled across qaac / foobar. This is exactly what I was looking for. Great converter, thanks a lot to the developer.
I have tried out different conversions and noticed the following behaviour when converting flac files to m4a and then playing the m4a in foobar.
Source FLAC file = 44.1 kHz -> converted m4a expands to 44.1kHz upon playback in foobar
Source FLAC file = 88.2 kHz -> converted m4a expands to 48kHz upon playback in foobar
Source FLAC file = 176.4 kHz -> converted m4a expands to 48kHz upon playback in foobar
Source FLACs of 48, 96 and 192kHz -> converted m4a expands to 48kHz upon playback in foobar
It seems to me it would be optimal to have 88.2 -> 44.1 and 176.4 -> 44.1kHz, as these are integer transformations. Is there a way to configure qaac to do the encoding in this way?
Thanks and regards
Rudi

Reply #662
rudolffischer, I'm sure you can play around with the switch -r / --rate but really, leave the encoder do what it does best. They are meaningless, temporary lossy files anyway that you will probably delete/change in few months, who cares if they don't end up being perfectly how you think they should be.

Reply #663
thanks, eahm
I will use the m4a files on my laptop and ipod, where I cannot put a 3TB lossless library. So I would like the m4a's to sound as good as possible as they will stay on those devices for quite a while. From the sound of it the "-r keep" switch should do the job. I will give it a try.
How can I modify the qaac command line parameters in foobar 1.3.3 beta 2?

Reply #664
How can I modify the qaac command line parameters in foobar 1.3.3 beta 2?

On Convert > ... > Output Format > Add New: select the one you'd like to modify then select Custom, you will see the full command right there.

Reply #665
Hello,

If you look at 'qaac --formats' output, you'll see that it can only handle up to 48KHz for LC-AAC format. On the other hand, HE-AAC can go up to 96KHz.
fdkaac can encode up to 96KHz in LC-AAC format.

AiZ

Reply #666
found it, thanks eahm
AiZ, you're right, I will need to convert all the 88.2kHz files in one go and set -r to 44.1
I'll do some experimenting.

Reply #667
It seems to me it would be optimal to have 88.2 -> 44.1 and 176.4 -> 44.1kHz, as these are integer transformations.

You might want to read one of the threads on HA about resampling. From your statement, I think you might learn something..

Reply #668
rudolffischer,

If I can suggest something not too complicated, as you want to use foobar2000, you could :
- download foo_resampler_mod2 (mod2 version, I insist), and install it in foobar2000,
- configure foobar2000 Converter Processing,

- add Resampler (SoX) mod2 in Active DSPs,

- configure resampler like this :

- and eventually save your preset.

As audiophool gently said, don't bother with "integer transformations". Any sampling rate above 48KHz can effectively and safely be downsampled to 44.1KHz, period.

Have a nice day,

AiZ

Reply #669
@audiophool - always happy to learn. I found a few threads on re-sampling that suggest that artifacts are below -100db, so given the lossy conversion that follows, that should not cause an issue. Could you indicate the specific thread you were referring to?

@AiZ - very elegant solution, works like a breeze, thanks a lot. qaac seems to use SOX, so putting a conditional SOX resampling step before the qaac step should basically achieve the same thing with the flexibility of configuring the processing step. I have set SOX mod2 to only resample 176400 and 88200 to 44100. Everything else is then converted to 48000 by qaac and 44100 is left at 41000. Brilliant.

Pls don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be difficult here. I always try to avoid complex processing if I there is a less complex way. More a question of principle than of actually audible differences. Thanks a lot for the help.

Reply #670
Hi I am having problems ripping to ALAC in the latest version of foobar, I get the following error text, after trying to rip a CD:

Code: [Select]
10 out of 10 tracks converted with major problems. 
Source: "cdda://00AD051F" / index: 1
  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 2 (0x00000002); please re-check parameters) : "C:\Users\IOIOI\Music\George Duke\From Me To You\From me to you.m4a"
  Additional information:
  Encoder stream format: 44100Hz / 2ch / 16bps
  Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\components\qaac.exe" --ignorelength -s --no-optimize --alac -o "From me to you.m4a" -
  Working folder: C:\Users\IOIOI\Music\George Duke\From Me To You\

Conversion failed: The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 2 (0x00000002); please re-check parameters

Reply #672
taketoo, qaac requires components from iTunes for its operation. Easiest way to make it work is to install iTunes on your machine.

Reply #673
Installing "Bloatware" can be avoided, but then you may have to manually extract libraries, which was certainly not intended by Apple...

Reply #674
Installing "Bloatware" can be avoided, but then you may have to manually extract libraries, which was certainly not intended by Apple...

Any tips on that anywhere ? If its a PITA I may as well just use FLAC or WMA lossless (easiest to use with WMC).