IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
is it possible to reclaim unused tag padding?, because I ran into a ~200 mb problem with a certain album
radorn
post Feb 16 2015, 03:20
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14052

I got a fan remix of a certain game which was encoded in ALAC, which I promptly reencoded to FLAC, but then I noticed the embedded album art, which I normally don't use and ignore, and found that it was a ~1.4MB png... for each file... ammounting to some 180MB for a 128 track album... which i find absurd.
Imagine I eventually converted to lossy, the art might ammount to a 30% of the total filesize...

Of course I saved a copy of the image and quickly hit "Remove all pictures"... which didn't affect the file size.
Then I kept trying with "Rewrite file tags" and "Remove tags from file(s)" (after saving them to the clipboard).
Needless to say, none of that helped.

I had to actually reencode from FLAC to FLAC again, in order to regain the wasted space. Obviously, this works for lossless, but for lossy it's a no-go.

Now the question is, is there a more convenient way of reclaiming wasted tag space, be it within foobar2000 or elsewhere?

Personally, I'd love to have such a function integrated within the player, because it seems that tag growth is a one-way process and you can never go back unless you scrap and star over. I can live with using an external program for the worst cases, like this one, though.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MrMonkey
post Feb 16 2015, 04:20
Post #2

Member No.: 83276

QUOTE (radorn @ Feb 15 2015, 21:20) *
Now the question is, is there a more convenient way of reclaiming wasted tag space, be it within foobar2000 or elsewhere?

How do I remove padding after deleting metadata?
+Quote Post
radorn
post Feb 16 2015, 07:02
Post #3

Member No.: 14052

QUOTE (MrMonkey @ Feb 16 2015, 05:20) *

Thank you. That would have saved me some frustration.
It's a pity that it is specific to FLAC, though. A more universal solution would be ideal.

A universal tag de-bloater.

EDIT: after playing arround with other formats (so far Opus, MP3 and, yes, WAV) it seems that they automatically reclaim the padding used for the removed pictures, unlike FLAC. I guess there's no need for the "debloater", just fixing FLAC tag handling.

This post has been edited by radorn: Feb 16 2015, 07:26
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2015 - 13:53