Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tube amp vs EQ (Read 39582 times) previous topic - next topic

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #25
I don't want more bass on my HD800s. On some select tracks, I think the brightness of the song itself on top of the brightness of the HD800s can get a little much.  So... I'm guessing there's a way to load EQ presets per song on Foobar?

You could save different DSP chain presets... but whether they also store DSP plugin settings, I'm not so sure right now...

BTW, Sennheiser's own HDVD800 has 43 ohms of output impedance. They said this value had been preferred over 0 ohms in listening tests. Looks like a number of people do prefer their HD800s with just a hint more oomph.
Do people use the EQ sliders that go with Foobar or is that no good?

If you want a graphic EQ, better go with foo_dsp_xgeq instead. It's a bit more flexible, and most of all does not create "steps" in the frequency response with associated heavy ringing in time domain like the stock EQ does. To these ears, it does what it's supposed to and is transparent otherwise.

A fully parametric EQ is the most flexible option, but you do have to get the hang of it first. I have to admit that I still haven't bothered. I rarely use EQs anyway these days, as my gear usually is within my personal tolerance, and then laziness gets the better of me. I guess you could say I'm relying solely on my "ear EQ".

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #26
BTW, Sennheiser's own HDVD800 has 43 ohms of output impedance.

Thats essentially zero relative to the impedance of the 800s, so no sense spending a few cents extra to go lower.

They said this value had been preferred over 0 ohms in listening tests. Looks like a number of people do prefer their HD800s with just a hint more oomph.

Ah marketing.  It does sound better than "cost savings" though.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #27
With the HD800 this amount of output impedance causes ~0.5 dB more bass.
"I hear it when I see it."

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #28
With the HD800 this amount of output impedance causes ~0.5 dB more bass.

I don't think 0.5db more bass is noticeable outside of test tones. The Sennheiser amps are ridiculous IMO. Their marketing video basically has a guy saying that he's accepted that "every amp sounds different"... And then I knew what was coming.

HD800s... people have split opinions on it, on general sections of Headfi, and also in the Sound Science section. Some people say that it has "more detail" because it's "detail amplification" due to its bright sound signature. STV said this once:
It is partly due to many people not being entirely satisfied with the frequency response of these headphones (treble emphasis with slightly recessed upper midrange - this also makes modern heavily compressed, clipped, and treble boosted recordings sound even worse) and try to use amplifiers as equalizers, and partly due to OCD: since the HD800 is a "flagship" product, by audiophile logic, one can only do justice to it by making everything else - amplifier, DAC, cables, etc. - similarly expensive.

There is a grain of truth behind the myth, as the HD800, like other mid to high end Sennheiser dynamic headphones, has significantly varying impedance over the audio frequency range. Therefore, an amplifier with an output impedance of >100 ohms adds some slight bass boost and "warmness" (although probably also increased distortion) that many prefer. However, the same applies even more to the cheaper HD5xx series, which are some of the most reactive dynamic headphones, yet one rarely hears about these being "picky".

Arguably it makes much more sense price/performance wise to get HD600 or 650. But I believe in terms of distortion and other measurements, HD800 is superior... it's just that the sound signature is different. So then, would it make sense for somebody to get HD800 even though they like say, HD650 sound signature, because you can EQ HD800s to something similar to HD650 while keeping the higher technical performance?

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #29
All these headphones play on a fairly high level, so I wouldn't go through the trouble buying possibly more expensive headphones because of some measurements just to EQ them to sound like the other headphones.

(Also I do believe that IF's THD+N measurements are dominated by noise sometimes i.e. inaccurate, but that's another topic.)

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #30
The three bad things are the two kinds of distortion plus irrelevant noises. Hiss and hum are two common examples of irrelevant noises that end up in audio signals.

Linear distortion is distortion that changes the relationship between the sounds that make up the music, either timing or relative strength or loudness, but does not add any new sounds.

A good equalizer only adds linear distortion.

Nonlinear distortion is distortion that adds new sounds. As a consequence nonlinear distortion may also change the relationships between the sounds that make up the music.

The sources of these three kinds of bad things are at their core different and distinct from each other, so categorizing them this way can help with the process of correcting them.

All known audible bad things that happen to audio signals fit into the three categories above. There can not and are not any others. Anybody who says otherwise is talking trash or showing off their ignorance.

B-B-B-B-B-But uncle Arnie! What about the fourth kind, subjective paranoia distortions? You know, caused by jitter or synchronous usb connections!

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #31
All these headphones play on a fairly high level, so I wouldn't go through the trouble buying possibly more expensive headphones because of some measurements just to EQ them to sound like the other headphones.

(Also I do believe that IF's THD+N measurements are dominated by noise sometimes i.e. inaccurate, but that's another topic.)

What about a more expensive amp to make cheap headphones sound like more expensive ones?

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #32
However, if EQ could do everything a tube-amp could do (sound-wise), there would be zero justification to getting a tube amp for sound because it can be done via EQ. So if that were the case, the distortion a person wants from a tube amp is no longer a valid reason for buying a tube amp.

What in the world is it that you imagine a tube amp could 'do'? And why do you imagine that any given tube amp would 'do' it to your satisfaction, compared to another tube amp? Aren't you then consigning yourself to trying out endless tube amps until you find the one that 'does' it the best for you?  Otherwise known as:

audiophile syndrome

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #33
However, if EQ could do everything a tube-amp could do (sound-wise), there would be zero justification to getting a tube amp for sound because it can be done via EQ. So if that were the case, the distortion a person wants from a tube amp is no longer a valid reason for buying a tube amp.

What in the world is it that you imagine a tube amp could 'do'? And why do you imagine that any given tube amp would 'do' it to your satisfaction, compared to another tube amp? Aren't you then consigning yourself to trying out endless tube amps until you find the one that 'does' it the best for you?  Otherwise known as:

audiophile syndrome

Nonlinear distortion. Color the sound in any way an EQ cannot mimic.

Practicality isn't a factor.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #34
For nonlinear effects google (harmonic) exciter or tube simulation plugins.

I still think that adding distortion is a bad idea for audio reproduction.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #35
For nonlinear effects google (harmonic) exciter or tube simulation plugins.

Totally agree. People seem to focus on the fact that nonlinear distortion produces or changes harmonics, but fact is that most of the distortion produced by nonlinear distortion while playing music is IM which is aharmonic, anti-musical, and just plain bad sounding.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #36
Arguably it makes much more sense price/performance wise to get HD600 or 650. But I believe in terms of distortion and other measurements, HD800 is superior... it's just that the sound signature is different. So then, would it make sense for somebody to get HD800 even though they like say, HD650 sound signature, because you can EQ HD800s to something similar to HD650 while keeping the higher technical performance?

Without any proper documentation of the claims above, I'll speculate that the belief of lower distortion in the HD 800s as opposed to HD 650 and HD 600 are based on this information:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf

If so, the results are hard to explain on technical grounds because speakers generally have nonlinear distortion that drops at higher frequencies. To convince me someone from Sennheiser needs to provide a believable explanation of why these headphones go against that rule.

Such distortion as is claimed is probably below audible levels because it starts out so low, and the ear's response is rolling off pretty rapidly in this range.

Headphone frequency response is dependent on the structure of the listener's ears which is different for everybody, so the fact that these headphones have slight variations in frequency response probably gets washed out by natural differences among listener's ears.

The only significant reliable differences I see seem to relate to bragging rights.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #37
I believe these measurements are more often than not dominated by noise. For every measurement, where I believe this to be the case, you can see lower THD+N at those frequencies where the headphone produces higher SPL (=> increases SNR, noise still dominates THD), higher THD+N where the SPL goes down (=> lower SNR), except for <200 Hz where THD usually starts to dominate.

That's also why the 100 dB curves beat the 90 dB curves. 10 dB higher SNR.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #38
I believe these measurements are more often than not dominated by noise. For every measurement, where I believe this to be the case, you can see lower THD+N at those frequencies where the headphone produces higher SPL (=> increases SNR, noise still dominates THD), higher THD+N where the SPL goes down (=> lower SNR), except for <200 Hz where THD usually starts to dominate.

That's also why the 100 dB curves beat the 90 dB curves. 10 dB higher SNR.

Strikes me as a very reasonable explanation, but perhaps not the only one.

One reason why I find it to be a reasonable explanation is the fact that you notice - they show nonlinear distortion that decreases as level increases. That violates the basic math of nonlinear distortion due to equipment with a continuous (smooth) transfer function. Acoustic transducers generally follow this rule, and due to the relatively microscopic power levels they operate at, it is hard to explain why headphones wouldn't.

I think that most people who study acoustic transducers in depth would agree that n acosutic transducer whose nonlinear distortion actually decreased as SPLs increased is pathological. If these headphones really measure this way, then they should be objected to on the grounds that they are pathological. There is something weird inside!

OTOH, if the apparently pathological nonlinear distortion behavior that you mention is just an artifact of incompletely performed or incorrectly analyzed measurements, then we need only suspect the technical expertise of the people presenting them.

High end audio internet eggspurts presenting incorrect technical information - whoda thunk! ;-)

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #39
I did some measurements myself. Just looking at 1 kHz (using headphones where at 1 kHz the 100 dB curve beats the 90 one), if I increased the SPL by 10 dB then all I saw increasing were the harmonic distortion products by more than 10 dB.
=> 100 dB THD > 90 dB THD

Adding noise to the calculations shows that noise across the entire audio range can dominate THD even if the harmonics clearly stick out of the noise floor in the spectrum analyzer. In some cases the 2nd harmonic could have risen by 20 dB and still have had little effect on the final THD+N number.

As long as the noise is not too much, the measurements are not too bad. What worries me are e.g. LCD3 measurements that show 1% THD+N at 90 dB SPL and about 0.3% at 100 dB, which unsurprisingly is roughly a 10 dB improvement.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #40
Nonlinear distortion can decrease as level increases in an amplifier with crossover distortion. I know of no corresponding effect in transducers like speakers and headphones.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #41

I don't disagree entirely....but what if it makes it sound "better" to you? "Distortion" is always bad??
Technically speaking, I'll add quite a bit of "distortion" to my 2ch stereo reproduction, to attempt to restore much of what was lost, thank you. As long as it please me....
How does one verify distortion free audio media reproduction?

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #42
I can't stop people from looking at the Mona Lisa with glasses with wrong lens power that will distort everything either. I don't even care, as long as they qualify their preferences and opinions as such.

What distortion are you talking about? What are you restoring?

There's virtually no such thing as distortion-free reproduction, but a listen and experience usually helps identifying the main problems. Measurements help too.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #43
What distortion are you talking about?

Stereo.

What are you restoring?

Attempting to restore. A greater semblance to original type soundfields.

There's virtually no such thing as distortion-free reproduction

Bingo. So it's not like looking at a Mona Lisa at all. It's a reproduction of media not precisely defined.
"Distorting" it might make it sound more "real", or at least preferable, whatever that may be.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #44
Well you are talking about the medium, the format. One could argue that portraits are distorted paintings of the real world, limited to a 2d canvas, limited in dynamic range, colors ... just like stereo is a distortion of the original performance. That's not the kind of distortion I was talking about.

Adding some image filters to a Mona Lisa might make it appear more "real", or preferable, but then you aren't looking at the (original) Mona Lisa anymore.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #45
Well you are talking about the medium, the format.

Yes, reproduction distortion of a distorted capture.

That's not the kind of distortion I was talking about.

Please tell us.

Adding some image filters to a Mona Lisa might make it appear more "real", or preferable, but then you aren't looking at the (original) Mona Lisa anymore.

Visual and audio perception not analogous.
Tell us what your Mona Lisa original actually sounds like and how you have compared your reproduction of it.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #46
Yes, reproduction distortion of a distorted capture.

All of these things are "separate". Recording adds distortion, downmixing to the final format (e.g. stereo) adds distortion ...

But at the point of reproduction you have a finished, downmixed recording. I am assuming that the artist was able to listen to that recording on an adequate stereo system, as was the mastering engineer. Stereo is not defined as a speaker in the back and front, and high fidelity is not defined as 5% THD with +5 dB in the mids either.

Visual and audio perception not analogous.
Tell us what your Mona Lisa original actually sounds like and how you have compared your reproduction of it.

What? You are making no sense. Yes, we definitely can draw analogies between visual and auditory perception.

Similar to above, I assume that the painting was not drawn to be looked at through distorting, colored glasses in poor lighting.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #47
I'll add my own distortions, thanks (like DPL II..or room EQ).

And I can turn them off if I want to.

Buying an amp that bakes in one 'flavor' of distortion is dumb. 

IMHO.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #48
But at the point of reproduction you have a finished, downmixed recording.

Which is supposed to sound like what? Mona Lisa? Tell us how you know your minimally distorted audio reproduction sounds like the "original" (Mona Lisa) and specify exactly what the "original" sounds. What method of audio comparison did you use?
I see this as another take on "accuracy", a term often used by studiophiles.

I am assuming that the artist was able to listen to that recording on an adequate stereo system, as was the mastering engineer.

I'm neither audiophile nor studiophile, make no such assumptions. What is an "adequate" stereo? Is that the soundfield we don't want to distort upon home playback?

Similar to above, I assume that the painting was not drawn to be looked at through distorting, colored glasses in poor lighting.

Assume what you wish and make up arbitrary scenarios/numbers, but I'm asking about whether "distortion" is always "bad", especially since you concede, some is always present.
I think that's what Dark_wizzie may actually be asking. I'm not as sure as you, that the answer is always definitive no.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #49
I'll add my own distortions, thanks (like DPL II..or room EQ).

And I can turn them off if I want to.

Buying an amp that bakes in one 'flavor' of distortion is dumb. 

IMHO.

Yep, pretty much sums it up for me. But I do concede that pancakes may indeed taste better with maple syrup, even if I don't want it on steaks, vegs, etc, etc.
IOW, "distortion(s)", may not always be "bad".

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer