Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: pcutmp3 tool (Read 286349 times) previous topic - next topic

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #75
How do I correctly compile pcutmp3 to an executable exe working on all machines even without java? I tried compiling with Excelsior, and it works on any PC with java installed, but yesterday i got an error telling me to use Jet II or something like that.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #76
How do I correctly compile pcutmp3 to an executable exe working on all machines even without java? I tried compiling with Excelsior, and it works on any PC with java installed, but yesterday i got an error telling me to use Jet II or something like that.

Please consult the customer support of xlsoft or have a look at this page -- it may be of help.
Since I don't use the "Reflection API" or load *.class files manually/dynamically native compilation should be possible in theory (otherwise it'd be somewhere between tricky and impossible). But I never tried any native Java compiler before and can't help you on this one any further.

edit: this is part of the Excelsior JET FAQ:
What is Excelsior JET?

Excelsior JET is a toolkit and complete runtime environment for acceleration, protection, and deployment of Java applications.

What Excelsior JET is not?

Excelsior JET is not a packager of Java applications into Windows EXE/Linux binaries. It really compiles your Java class files into native Intel x86 instructions. The resulting executables need the Excelsior JET Runtime to run, but not the Sun JRE.

So, it seems that the compiler outputs a small EXE file that needs some DLL libraries (the Excelsior JET Runtime). So, if you copy just the EXE file to another computer which doesn't have the Excelsior JET Runtime libraries you can't run the application. -- just my interpretation

Sebastian

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #77

What is Excelsior JET?

Excelsior JET is a toolkit and complete runtime environment for acceleration, protection, and deployment of Java applications.

What Excelsior JET is not?

Excelsior JET is not a packager of Java applications into Windows EXE/Linux binaries. It really compiles your Java class files into native Intel x86 instructions. The resulting executables need the Excelsior JET Runtime to run, but not the Sun JRE.

So, it seems that the compiler outputs a small EXE file that needs some DLL libraries (the Excelsior JET Runtime). So, if you copy just the EXE file to another computer which doesn't have the Excelsior JET Runtime libraries you can't run the application. -- just my interpretation

Damn, I always forget to read the small words... Sorry then
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #78
Sebi: if you think you can rejoin only pcutmp3 files, then could the following be done:
- use pcutmp3 to (quoting you here) "mark the silence frame (which only carries data in its main data section) as such and include some meta information. This allows rejoining of files automatically (in the future)"

What I'm getting at is: apply pcutmp3 to 'normal' mp3s (using some sort of samllest 'cut' time frame or maybe just the bit that marks the silence frame [and anything else that's required]) and then they should be available to rejoin.

I was just trying to apply a bit of lateral thinking to it.  Of course, getting pcutmp3 to do this might not be possible.

The problem is that MP3s still are made out of an integral number of frames. Sample accurate cutting through pcutmp3 only works by keeping an integral number of frames and signalling the decoder how many samples at the start / end to discard. Joining two (accurate-length-) streams (without introducing a little delay or a skip at the boundary) only works on a special condition regarding enc_delay/padding of the preceding track and enc_delay of the following track. Since 1152 (samples/mp3-frame) is not a multiple 588 (samples/cd-frame) chances are very low for seperately encoded MP3s that they can be joined "properly".

S

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #79
Thanks for the reply Sebi.  It was just a thought that's all.

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #80
I found out that pcutmp3 throws an exception if it tries to write files that contain characters that cannot be used in filenames (< and > on Windows for example).

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #81
I found out that pcutmp3 throws an exception if it tries to write files that contain characters that cannot be used in filenames (< and > on Windows for example).

It doesn't with the newest version.  Although sebi hasn't changed his page 1 post, the version it links to is actually 0.95b, which fixes the problem and simply removes the characters.

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #82
Thankyou very much for this tool, Sebastian. Does exactly what it says on the box, and does it perfectly. 

In case anyone else is looking for cuesheets to match their albums, Cuesheet Heaven worked for me.

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #83
The program has worked great, but the non-ID3v2 support has been a pain at times.  Sebastian have you found a library that you would like to use?

Sorry if it sounds like I am bugging you, it's the only drawback that is keeping this program from being PERFECT!

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #84
Hello guys,

I am just wondering if anyone has used this tool and then listened to the new (single track) mp3's with itunes 7? I am just curious to see what anyones results are.
I tried this morning and it seems that there is a very minor click (almost seemless) with the new mp3's, alot better than any other tool I've used.

If anyone has got any better results I would love to hear how you achieved them.

Also if anyone has any info on manually changing some settings (with pcutmp3) I would love to be a guinea pig and try them out.

Just for info the latest Ipod also had this very minor clicks.

Cheers

Rochey

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #85
Sorry, but todays is not my day...

Could anyone be so kind to post a batch file, for putting it into the "Send to" folder to execute automatic the pcutmp3.jar file?
All my tries with giving the parameters to the batch file via send to... ended up in a mess.

THX

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #86
Hmm, Codepage Problem on the morning... 

Here comes a batch file for the "Send to" Menu.
Select File -> Send to -> Batch File
Customize for your one needs.
Output will be the source folder of the cue file.

Code: [Select]
@echo off
title pcutmp3
cd /d "C:\Programme\pcutmp3"
java -jar pcutmp3.jar --cue %1 --out "Track %%n" --dir "%~dp1
pause
exit

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #87
This might be a dead topic, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway...

I've been quite pleased with pcutmp3.  I've since re-split all of my files originally cut with mp3splt and smile every time tracks transition seamlessly being played back in foobar.

I own a Squeezebox and haven't been so lucky.  Their newest version 6.5.1 with firmware 57 purports to support gapless MP3 playback using LAME headers, but I haven't been able to get it to work.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #88
This might be a dead topic, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway...

I've been quite pleased with pcutmp3.  I've since re-split all of my files originally cut with mp3splt and smile every time tracks transition seamlessly being played back in foobar.

I own a Squeezebox and haven't been so lucky.  Their newest version 6.5.1 with firmware 57 purports to support gapless MP3 playback using LAME headers, but I haven't been able to get it to work.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

From SebastianG's original post:
WARNING:
Your player needs to properly support the LAME tag. If it doesn't you'll hear gaps. I tested it with Foobar 0.8.3 and Foobar 0.9 beta 5. Unfortunately the older one ignores encoder delay values above 1152 in the LAME tag (edit: see post #5 for Foobar 0.8.3). Since pcutmp3 usually creates mp3 files with encoder delays of around 2000 samples it won't work in Foobar 0.8.3. In combination with Foobar 0.9 beta 5 it works like charm. WinAMP + otachan's in_mpg123 + some good output-plug probably also works fine. So, use this app only if it makes sense to use it. The number of players which properly interpret the LAME tag is pretty low !! If your player does you can use pcutmp3 to do sample granular cuts.

How it works:
This app analyzes the source mp3 file and its Xing/Info/LAME tag and allows cutting it at *any* positions through the use of the LAME tag's encoder_delay/padding fields. It generates for each track you crop out of the large source file a new Xing/Info/LAME tag frame filled appropriately and resolves the problem of missing bitreservoir data via a "silence frame" (holding the missing data) that directly follows the Xing/Info/LAME tag frame. This additional delay (due to this "silence frame") is also compensated via the encoder_delay setting which explains the high values it produces (576...2879). It should be possible to rejoin files losslessly (not yet implemented).
emphasis mine

My guess is that the Squeezebox (as well as iTunes, in reference to an earlier post) can't deal with the unusually large delay values, just as Foobar2000 0.8.3 couldn't.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #89
I'm no expert on the details of how this program works, but I do know that it isn't used by more people because it's a command line app. I wrote a GUI for it so you can tell your friends that they don't have to fiddle with XP and Vista's annoying command line, just double-click and it should work. All the backend stuff is the same, and if Sebastian releases new versions in the future it should be a simple file swap.

Right now it only supports CUE splitting. There is no overriding artist names or custom split points. Those will be implemented later. It also requires Java 6 for the time being. Sorry, but the class I used to implement multi-threading is Java 6 exclusive and it didn't say that anywhere. Thanks, Java docs! If you don't want to upgrade, I'll forgive you.

So you load the cue file you want. The program is smart and will look for the mp3 file. If it finds it, it fills it in so you don't have to browse for it. It defaults the output directory to the same directory the cue is in so you may want to be wary of that.

This is like the second revision I made, so I'm sure it's a little rough yet.
Download here

Feedack is always appreciated.

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #90
Nice and simply GUI.  I actually wrote one just like this, as a Java/Swing practise, should have released it really. Recently I've just been using a batch file listed above

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #91
Very useful info about patching Foobar 0.8.3. This "value too big" error has been bugging me for a while, almost to the point that I installed 0.9 just to do gapless correction (but it didn't work anyway). Thank you, Sebastian. 

While we're here, it's handy to patch 2 more offsets in order to enable manual entry of large delay and padding values.

80 04 00 00 8B D8 89 55 -> FF 0F 00 00 8B D8 89 55     (entry)
00 09 00 00 7F 04 3B CB -> FF 0F 00 00 7F 04 3B CB
80 04 00 00 33 C0 2B 5D -> FF 0F 00 00 33 C0 2B 5D     (what to do if greater than allowed)

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #92
I'm no expert on the details of how this program works, but I do know that it isn't used by more people because it's a command line app. I wrote a GUI for it so you can tell your friends that they don't have to fiddle with XP and Vista's annoying command line, just double-click and it should work.

thanks. is there any way to get a .exe ?
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #93
thanks. is there any way to get a .exe ?

Just create a batch file, which is a text file with a .bat or .cmd extension and insert the following line:
@java -jar pcutmp3gui-0.2.jar

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #94
If you have Java installed it should associate itself with jar files and run when you double-click them.

Also I found bugs, such as the program not writing to where you say to. Here's a fixed version:
Download v0.3

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #95
I find Jar's load quicker when launched with batch files anyway.

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #96
So i have a .bat file with the code "@java -jar pcutmp3gui-0.2.jar" and pcutmp3gui-0.3.jar in the same folder. I double clicked the bat file and nothing happen.

Can we please get a noobie guide or the gui with an exe

Thanks

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #97
Using a batch file doesn't change that it's still a command line tool. Therefore it just closes immediately after being started if supplied with no further arguments. You need to start it from a command prompt that's already open (e.g. starting "cmd.exe" from the "Run..." menu item in the start menu).

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #98
Using a batch file doesn't change that it's still a command line tool. Therefore it just closes immediately after being started if supplied with no further arguments. You need to start it from a command prompt that's already open (e.g. starting "cmd.exe" from the "Run..." menu item in the start menu).

I honestly have no clue when it comes to these things. I'm just gonna wait til someone can get this on exe 

pcutmp3 tool

Reply #99
Not so - the batch file, when double-clicked, should launch the GUI, sit there blank, and then close when the GUI is closed.

I honestly have no clue when it comes to these things. I'm just gonna wait til someone can get this on exe 
Try changing your bat file to:

@java -jar "C:\Path\To\pcutmp3gui-0.3.jar"

pause

.. and see what is returned.  I just had to upgrade from 1.5.0_06 to 1.6.0 to get the GUI to run (pcutmp3 worked fine with 1.5).

NB: you can type (or add it as a line in the batch file):

java -version

... at the command promt to see what version you have installed - or open the Java item in your Control Panel.  You can update from the Control Panel by the looks of it.
I'm on a horse.