Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Newbie Question Large (100K+) MP3 collection (Read 7438 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie Question Large (100K+) MP3 collection

Hi All. Sorry for the dupe post, but I haven't found the answer anywhere yet.  I have an MP3 collection of over 100K songs. I need a better storage & organizing system.  I'm currently using the software that came with my audio card by Creative Media. It works okay, but has no duplicate finder, & the search is really slow! Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jimmy

Reply #1
Hi All. Sorry for the dupe post, but I haven't found the answer anywhere yet.  I have an MP3 collection of over 100K songs. I need a better storage & organizing system.  I'm currently using the software that came with my audio card by Creative Media. It works okay, but has no duplicate finder, & the search is really slow! Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jimmy

I use foobar2000, but it doesn't find duplicates.

Reply #4
I have an MP3 collection of over 100K songs. I need a better storage & organizing system.  I'm currently using the software that came with my audio card by Creative Media. It works okay, but has no duplicate finder, & the search is really slow! Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jimmy

Fineware's Space Hound 4 has a new feature that intelligently finds duplicate MP3 files.  Basically, it ignores the tags that might confuse other file comparison tools into thinking that certain MP3s are different when in fact, they are the same.

http://www.fineware.com

I tried it on my laptop with 350 MP3 files (about 30 gigabytes).  After 1 hour, it was still processing so I cancelled it before it had a chance to finish.  I can't say the utility can scale up to handle 100,000 files.  You'll probably have to let it run overnight or maybe even a couple of days nonstop!

Reply #5
I haven't used iTunes since version 7, and then only with part of my music library. However, I can say that Foobar2000 is the only software that works with my music collection without grinding to a halt (50'000 songs). I would recommend either it or Mediamonkey.