Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Opus and CPU (Read 6063 times) previous topic - next topic

Opus and CPU

I've written a plugin to play Opus and noticed that it uses more CPU than other formats I looked at, about 3x Flac and about 50% more than Ogg Vorbis and AAC.  Does that seem about right, or did I make some big booboo in there?

Opus and CPU

Reply #1
What CPU?

Opus and CPU

Reply #2
50% more on decode sounds reasonable. I mean it is doing more stuff after all.

Opus and CPU

Reply #4
50% more on decode sounds reasonable. I mean it is doing more stuff after all.

Thanks.  Just wanted to be sure that this was expected for the codec.

Opus and CPU

Reply #5
What CPU?

Doesn't seem to matter.

ARM vs. x86 will matter enormously given the different level of optimization for each platform.  I'm guessing though that you mean x86?

Opus complexity is actually not that great, but most optimization has been for ARM CPUs, as very few people care about a few MHz on multicore PC running in the GHz.

Opus and CPU

Reply #6
About half the extra CPU turns out to be down to resampling.  My system is set up for 44.1 kHz by default, since that is mostly what I listen to, but Opus is strictly 48kHz.