Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Backing up my mp3 collection (Read 4333 times) previous topic - next topic

Backing up my mp3 collection

I actually want to burn my mp3 collection, so I wonder if this is going to have some influence of the quality. Would it be better to zip or *.rar all that stuff first? I was thinking about burning an mp3 CD (Nero offers that mode), because it would be handy to listen to the CD's on a DVD PLayer (if I ever should get one ).
I would also like to remove some of my mp3's to have space for other stuff...

In addition, let's say I would go for the 'mp3 burning mode (Nero)' could I store other stuff as well (let's say a list of all the mp3's or a movie), and would still be able to listen to the CD in a DVD Player? Would the movie play as well?
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #1
do you want to burn your music as mp3-data-filez on cd's, or as music? if you burn as music, its just like you have an album. if you burn as data (mp3 filez) there can't be any quallity decrease (why should there be?) cuz its digital. there whouldnt be quallity decrease when burning to music cdformat, but then you'd better copy the original cd, cuz this way the music has not been compressed by mp3 which cuts of some quallity.

for backup, burn as mp3 filez, just data. then you can store 10 times as much music on 1 normal cd'r than fits on a normal cd. Playback is possible on mp3-compatible cd/dvd players.
ZIPping and/or RARring is useless, cuz you dont gain much space (mp3 IS already compressed, duh) and you cant playback anymore on mp3-playback-capable cd/dvd players.

if you want high quallity backup, better rip cd's with EAC and compress to Musepack (mpc). this ensures highest quallity (on standard compression almost no files are different for normal listeners from original).
But the drawback is that the files are slightly larger than mp3 (if you compare mp3 at 128kb/sec and mpc - extreme > 180-200 kb/sec) and you cant listen the music after burning on cd (in data format of course, audio cd is no problem) in mp3 compatible cd/dvd players.

hope this helps.

grtz
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\'][span style=\'color:red\']Life Sucks Deeply[/span][/span]

Reply #2
it would be handy to listen to the CD's on a DVD PLayer (if I ever should get one ).

One annoyance I have noticed with most DVD/mp3 players is that you have to turn on the TV
to find your way around the mp3 disk as that is where the file and directory names are displayed.
I found a CD/mp3 player with an alphabetic display on the player so you can run without the TV.

Reply #3
do you want to burn your music as mp3-data-filez on cd's, or as music?

no, not as music...just as mp3's (no converting to *.wav or anything).

if you burn as data (mp3 filez) there can't be any quallity decrease (why should there be?)

it could be possible because I've heart that you loose always data when burning a CD.

Thanks for your answer, very appreciated  Yours too, DonP!
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.

Reply #4
1) IMHO, it is a good idea to rar everything and then burn.  When you rar them, add a recovery record and that way, if the disc becomes scratched, you have a better chance of not losing data

2)  You can lose data from scratches, poor media, old media etc, etc, etc
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #5
I am burning dvd-r'swith mp3 compressed using Dibrom's Lame settings.

As for error correction, there is a big diference between a digital audio cd and a data cd (mp3). I suggest using mp3's for archival purposes.
Jeova69

I've never met anyone who tried a joint but
didn't inhale.
(H. Marks)

Reply #6
I suggest using mp3's for archival purposes.

Heh.. Err... depends on what you're looking for. And generally speaking, HA is not the place to post such sentences

Reply #7
In this circumstance, it is a valid comment... He wants to back up his music for use in his DVD player, thus MP3s@--aps should be suficient! If it was just for his pc, we ALL would recommend MPC! but seeing as hardware restraints are present, Jeova69 is totally correct.

Reply #8
Jojo

From your question, I gather you've already got a bunch of MP3s on your hard drive that you want to back up to CD.

If this is the case, the simple answer to your question is to burn an MP3 CD using Nero.  The MP3 files will be saved as data files, but will be in a disc format that should be recognised by all DVD/MP3 players.

There will be no loss of data from your MP3 files, and the latest version of Nero will verify your burnt data automatically just to be sure.

I recommend you store your MP3s in folders to keep them organised, eg. artist\album or according to genre.

Reply #9
Ok thanks for all your answers. I have one more question: What is MPC?

@Drover's Dog
I'm using the newest release of Nero and it has an extra Mp3/Video mode (the assistant offers that option) what does that option do differently?

Also, I goanna make 2 copy's of each CD...the first one I'll burn the songs plain and will also use the CD. The second copy will be only for the 'backing up' purpose...I'll store each mp3 file in a *.rar file (15% recovery record) and will only use it if CD1 has some errors. I think that is as good way to go

Reply #10
@Drover's Dog
I'm using the newest release of Nero and it has an extra Mp3/Video mode (the assistant offers that option) what does that option do differently?

Jojo

Sorry, I've just converted to Nero from Easy CD Creator, so I'm not yet familiar with anything but the basic functions.

Regards
DrD