Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Foobar2000 - NSF - Export 1 loop only
zerowalker
post Mar 5 2015, 23:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 92828

Trying to use Foobar2000 to export an NSF file (basically a MIDI file for NES), to whatever i want. This works fine.
However, the decoder "Game Emu Player" as far as i know, won't make the file play 1 time.
It only allows you to play it for x minutes, and i can't specify "play the length of the sound".

So is anyone familiar with this and can help me?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kode54
post Mar 6 2015, 01:41
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4082

It can only "play for the length of the sound" if it is tagged as such. It has no way of knowing when the sound has looped, other than possibly running some sort of expensive sound comparison function on every bit of audio that comes out of the emulator.

NSF is not "MIDI file for NES" since it contains actual player code which runs through an emulated 6502 processor.
+Quote Post
zerowalker
post Mar 6 2015, 04:51
Post #3

QUOTE (kode54 @ Mar 6 2015, 01:41) *
It can only "play for the length of the sound" if it is tagged as such. It has no way of knowing when the sound has looped, other than possibly running some sort of expensive sound comparison function on every bit of audio that comes out of the emulator.

NSF is not "MIDI file for NES" since it contains actual player code which runs through an emulated 6502 processor.

So is there a solution, is there anyway i can convert my nsf to anything with just one loop involved?
I wanted to convert it to MIDI first but as i can't get it to work (guess you have to specify all instruments) i rather go with a normal audio file:)
+Quote Post
kode54
post Mar 7 2015, 03:32
Post #4

You'll have to time them manually, or find some pre-timed NSFE files.
+Quote Post
zerowalker
post Mar 7 2015, 05:56
Post #5

QUOTE (kode54 @ Mar 7 2015, 03:32) *
You'll have to time them manually, or find some pre-timed NSFE files.

How would i go about doing that?
I actually do the music myself using FamiTracker if that make any difference.

Thanks
+Quote Post
kode54
post Mar 7 2015, 09:22
Post #6

Open Game Emu Player preferences page, enable Write to files and Convert to NSFE if necessary, and then right click on the individual subsongs and select Tagging -> Edit length. Both length and fade are accurate to the millisecond.

Detecting actual length for Famitracker songs may be possible, assuming that the memory layout of all versions of the NSF player are the same, and that I can rely on things like loop counters and song position to be in the same place.

Incidentally, if you need to mute or solo channels, you can use the GEP Control, found in the View menu. The current settings in that dialog will be applied in semi-realtime to the playing track, or once on startup to background decoded or converted tracks.
+Quote Post
zerowalker
post Mar 7 2015, 17:51
Post #7

QUOTE (kode54 @ Mar 7 2015, 09:22) *
Open Game Emu Player preferences page, enable Write to files and Convert to NSFE if necessary, and then right click on the individual subsongs and select Tagging -> Edit length. Both length and fade are accurate to the millisecond.

Detecting actual length for Famitracker songs may be possible, assuming that the memory layout of all versions of the NSF player are the same, and that I can rely on things like loop counters and song position to be in the same place.

Incidentally, if you need to mute or solo channels, you can use the GEP Control, found in the View menu. The current settings in that dialog will be applied in semi-realtime to the playing track, or once on startup to background decoded or converted tracks.

Ah tried playing around. Sadly GameEmu seems to add Silence to the beginning and end, but that can be cropped though. Couldn't figure out how to get thetime from FamiTracker, it got a timer, but as it loops forever i can't know the exact the it takes to play one loop, but well it gives a hint i guess.
+Quote Post
kode54
post Mar 8 2015, 00:31
Post #8

That silence is probably the startup delay of the Famitracker player code. Unfortunately, I disable silence skipping and removal when muting channels, otherwise it would break timing between muting different channels. You'll have to trim the various channels yourself.
+Quote Post
zerowalker
post Mar 8 2015, 07:10
Post #9

QUOTE (kode54 @ Mar 8 2015, 00:31) *
That silence is probably the startup delay of the Famitracker player code. Unfortunately, I disable silence skipping and removal when muting channels, otherwise it would break timing between muting different channels. You'll have to trim the various channels yourself.

I see. Well after playing around, the easiest way i found is to make a bit longer length then one loop, then trim it manually in Adobe Audition, though would be nice if i could detect when selection is repeated as currently i am guessing.
But it's the only way i could make it work with a tight loop without any silence/hiccup, didn't get it to work no matter how good i set the length, and even if i removed the silence only it never became correct.

Learn some stuff, so that's a bonus;)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2015 - 03:02