2Bdecided
post Sep 6 2011, 17:38
Post #26

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

I will read those links, thanks.

QUOTE (krabapple @ Sep 6 2011, 16:46) *
Note that the goal here it to get good bass across several listening positions.
An OK goal, though I've never managed to get "good stereo" across several listening positions, so I'm not concerned about "good bass" over a wide area either. Not that I mind a sweet spot - I'm the only one in the house who really cares, so that works out just fine wink.gif

Centre front would be in the middle of the fireplace. Centre back would be behind the sofa.

Some audiophile sites recommend the 'crawl and listen' method -- place the sub at the listening position, play something with well-recorded bass, as you crawl around and listen for the spot that has excellent bass sound -- but personally I have never gotten this to work.
You mean put the sub where you should be, find where it sounds best like that, then swap positions with the sub? Appealing idea if it worked!

One good resource is SoundStage. They do a lot of NRC-type measurement of speakers they review.
Thanks - there's a lot on there. (had to knock the end off your URL and click through). EDIT: many of those are rare in the UK, and none of the common speakers in the UK are on there.

IIRC Paradigm made some good measuring, good looking little speakers for not very great cost. Maybe they still do?
I'll check them out. They're certainly not cheap over here in the UK.

Cheers,
David.

This post has been edited by 2Bdecided: Sep 6 2011, 17:51
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
krabapple
post Sep 7 2011, 16:16
Post #27

Group: Members
Member No.: 10538

QUOTE (2Bdecided @ Sep 6 2011, 12:38) *
Centre front would be in the middle of the fireplace. Centre back would be behind the sofa.

OK, add one asbestos center speaker to your spec list. wink.gif

You mean put the sub where you should be, find where it sounds best like that, then swap positions with the sub? Appealing idea if it worked!

Yes, that's the idea.
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/speaker-...oofer-placement

Thanks - there's a lot on there. (had to knock the end off your URL and click through). EDIT: many of those are rare in the UK, and none of the common speakers in the UK are on there.

That's too bad. I used to have a list of mfrs that applied CRC/Harman-type research to their designs (CRC was where Toole and Olive worked before Harman), but I've long since lost it -- don't know which, if any, were British/European. Maybe some others here would know, or you could write to Sean to ask (he posts once in a blue moon here at HA)?

This post has been edited by krabapple: Sep 7 2011, 16:16
+Quote Post
krabapple
post Sep 8 2011, 19:40
Post #28

This thread on audioholics has some useful posts -- e.g.

QUOTE (DS-21)
Instead of focusing on brand, why not focus on what makes a good speaker? IMO, the Big Three are:

1) Smoothly declining sound power with frequency
2) Controlled, even, and not-too-wide midrange directivity
3) Low cabinet diffraction

That said, a nonexhaustive list of firms offering speakers designed along those criteria would include Tannoy, KEF, Gradient, Gedlee, and Revel.

Tannoy is certainly available in the UK wink.gif

This post has been edited by krabapple: Sep 8 2011, 19:40
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Sep 9 2011, 11:11
Post #29

ReplayGain developer

QUOTE (krabapple @ Sep 8 2011, 19:40) *
This thread on audioholics has some useful posts -- e.g.

QUOTE (DS-21)
Instead of focusing on brand, why not focus on what makes a good speaker? IMO, the Big Three are:

1) Smoothly declining sound power with frequency
2) Controlled, even, and not-too-wide midrange directivity
3) Low cabinet diffraction

That said, a nonexhaustive list of firms offering speakers designed along those criteria would include Tannoy, KEF, Gradient, Gedlee, and Revel.

Tannoy is certainly available in the UK wink.gif

As is KEF wink.gif

Which makes it worth a trip to Leeds to the "local" Hi-Fi shop, which I think stocks both.

Cheers,
David.

This post has been edited by 2Bdecided: Sep 27 2012, 09:40
+Quote Post
krabapple
post Sep 27 2012, 02:38
Post #30

reviving this thread simply because I want to know...what did you choose?
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Sep 27 2012, 09:45
Post #31

ReplayGain developer

Life. wink.gif

Buying speakers is still on the long "things to do" list that always seems to get other things pushed to the top.

Oh, and for anyone contemplating children, please let me warn you: With a 7, 5 and 1.5 year old, I spend more on kid's shoes in a year than I'd dream of spending on speakers once in a decade or two. The kids bring more joy though. They probably get more use out of the stereo too!

Cheers,
David.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 19:17