Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vis_projectM (Read 166813 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #175
Panel version will have to wait. It looks like the current version is rather buggy for some people, slow for some people, and I might have to do a bit of code overhaul to get it working reliably and properly.

If this is working for you, consider yourself lucky.

Therefore i'm lucky too ! It works perfectly, i'm just waiting for the panel version, now.
Sorry for the bad english, I'm french .

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #176
G-Lite already knows about my problem, but I'll post it in here.
first, links to images.
Uno Enjoy my fun blurring there 
Dos

As you can see, M loves to eat into my cpu time. If it set Affinity to 1 core (AMD X2 3800+) it takes up all of that core. Even after closing the projectM window, cpu time is still at 50%. The fonts are also totally unreadable in the projectM window when at default size. Fullscreen is better, but still not great. Also, don't even try running projectM without presets or fonts installed.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #177
I've uploaded a new version, which I hope is more stable. It works well for me. Same location:
http://stephan.kochen.nl/proj/foobar2000.html#projectM

I'm not sure about the performance issues, it's very preset dependant. Between the 0.8 and this version I think I got rid of two redundant loops processing audio, so it should actually be faster.

If you really think you have performance problems, double check the options like grid size, texture size, etc. It's also important to compare framerates: in 0.8, projectM's framerate was dependant on foobar, and thus not configurable. This is no longer the case in 0.9, and there's now an option to set the framerate (which defaults to 30).

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #178
Awesome!  Now all we need is a pannel version.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #179
Cool... just stumbled upon this.
A few suggestions:
Hopefully, that is helpful and thank you!

Chris

P.S. How come in windowed mode the lines in projectM seem much smoother than when in fullscreen mode?

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #180
Could you update this to the latest projectM? It now support truetype fonts and has greater support other .milk files but it's only in the repository. (I found it under the Subversion one. <a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/xmms-projectm/" target="_blank">http://sourceforge.net/projects/xmms-projectm/</a> )

I guess I missed that, there being no release and all. I'll look into it, thanks.

I had a crash with foo_vis_projectM still being open upon exiting foobar2000 with foobar2000 0.9.1 beta 1. (I dunno if this is the same for 0.9 stable. I have a crash log I could post to you if it'll help.)

Well, there's not debugging symbols in, so the crash log is probably rather useless. You could try posting them, but...

If I go to View > Visulisations > projectM and uncheck it while projectM is running, the projectM window fails to close and I can't manually close it. (Again, using 0.9.1 beta 1)

...are you sure that's the latest version? Those problems sound like the ones I fixed, which is odd. I just realised I forgot to bump the version number, so you'll have to check some other way I guess.

Hopefully, that is helpful and thank you!

Chris

P.S. How come in windowed mode the lines in projectM seem much smoother than when in fullscreen mode?

I don't know a whole lot about projectM itself, but you could try adjusting the texture size option. I'm not sure if the grid size options have any effect on that either.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #181
Thanks! It works great, except that the fonts are fugly if I select "Show song title".

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #182
...are you sure that's the latest version?

Your right!  I had managed to download the old one. Strange that. Oh well. Works great now! Thank you!

I don't know a whole lot about projectM itself, but you could try adjusting the texture size option. I'm not sure if the grid size options have any effect on that either.

I've given that all a whirl and nothing seems to help. Could just be my graphics card is a bit dated but I'm not so sure. Does anyone else experience this?

I guess I missed that, there being no release and all. I'll look into it, thanks.

I managed to stumble upon it, so there is no wonder you wouldn't of seen it  Thanks for having a look. Here are a few of the new features.

Chris

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #183
I managed to stumble upon it, so there is no wonder you wouldn't of seen it  Thanks for having a look. Here are a few of the new features.

Looks great. You already mentioned the truetype rendering using freetype. I'm not sure what implications the library version will have, but I doubt it's much.

I wish I could support libvisual, but apparently that hasn't been ported to windows yet. If we could support that, we'd have a nice abstraction-layer for other visualisations (think G-force). Maybe I should look into helping them port it.

Jack support and autotools cleanup is not relevant to windows, compiles as C++ wasn't really a problem in the first place. Presets is a nice feature, though the foobar plugin doesn't really have any kind of preset manager. Maybe that's another idea.

Memory leaks fixed yay; PCM speedup.. I'm not sure what implications that has either, I modified that code a bit myself to speed it up, so...

That's about it.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #184
I didn't expect you to comment on them but TrueType had to be the main for me. Hopefully this means lovely, smooth fonts.

Unfortuantly, I found a bug (and yes I have the right version this time. At least I'm 99% sure...):
  • I set a global hot key for "The next preset".
  • This is very useful when using projectM...
  • ...however, if you close projectM and then use the hotkey, everything blows up.
I feel a bit guilty about finding this bug because I did it on purpose... oh well...
I could repeat it with your debug build if you like and pass along the crash report to you but it's probably just as easy for you to see for yourself.

Chris

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #185

Looks great. You already mentioned the truetype rendering using freetype. I'm not sure what implications the library version will have, but I doubt it's much.

I wish I could support libvisual, but apparently that hasn't been ported to windows yet. If we could support that, we'd have a nice abstraction-layer for other visualisations (think G-force). Maybe I should look into helping them port it.

Jack support and autotools cleanup is not relevant to windows, compiles as C++ wasn't really a problem in the first place. Presets is a nice feature, though the foobar plugin doesn't really have any kind of preset manager. Maybe that's another idea.

Memory leaks fixed yay; PCM speedup.. I'm not sure what implications that has either, I modified that code a bit myself to speed it up, so...

That's about it.

The author of G-Force indicated that all he needed was a bare bones pannel visualization, and he would create a pannel version of G-Force for .9.  As such, I do not think the author requires a pannel version of projectm which supports libvisual to create a pannel version of G-Force.  Therefore, once a pannel version of project m with the old pre-sets and fonts is created then the author of G-Force will have what he needs to create a pannel version for .9.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #186
The author of G-Force indicated that all he needed was a bare bones pannel visualization, and he would create a pannel version of G-Force for .9.  As such, I do not think the author requires a pannel version of projectm which supports libvisual to create a pannel version of G-Force.  Therefore, once a pannel version of project m with the old pre-sets and fonts is created then the author of G-Force will have what he needs to create a pannel version for .9.

I don't think you understand what libvisual is.
Libvisual is an audio visualisation library that acts as a middle layer between audio visualisation plugins and applications. Any application written with libvisual support included will be able to make use of all the plugins that are written for libvisual.

Basically, this means that if someone writes a libvisual plugin for foobar2000 we will be able to use a few visualisations, not just projectM or G-Force. In your case, a libvisual plugin would be ideal as G-Force supports it.
Also, if I were you, I would try to sound less demanding at people who doing this for free...

And as a sidenote: It's panel not pannel. (Sorry it was bugging me as so many people are doing it. I don't mean to pick on you)

Chris

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #187

I don't think you understand what libvisual is.
Libvisual is an audio visualisation library that acts as a middle layer between audio visualisation plugins and applications. Any application written with libvisual support included will be able to make use of all the plugins that are written for libvisual.

Basically, this means that if someone writes a libvisual plugin for foobar2000 we will be able to use a few visualisations, not just projectM or G-Force. In your case, a libvisual plugin would be ideal as G-Force supports it.
Also, if I were you, I would try to sound less demanding at people who doing this for free...

And as a sidenote: It's panel not pannel. (Sorry it was bugging me as so many people are doing it. I don't mean to pick on you)

Chris

I am sorry if I sounded demanding.  It certainly was not my intent.  I appreciate all that G-Lite and others do to support foobar for free.  Obviously, it will get done when it gets done.  Thanks.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #188
It doesn't crash, but close to 100% CPU usage (Not in full screen mode)... What's the minimum requirement to use this?

My computer spec:
P4 2.4GHz
756MB RAM
TNT2 VGA Card

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #189
It doesn't crash, but close to 100% CPU usage (Not in full screen mode)... What's the minimum requirement to use this?

My computer spec:
P4 2.4GHz
756MB RAM
TNT2 VGA Card

Your graphics card seems to be a little outdated, otherwise it's OK.
I have:
P4 2.8GHz
1024MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO

Works fine.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #190
I apreciate all the work. 

It works, but still quite a cpu hog here (always 100% no matter what) and a bit unstable, it crashes now and then (i have a few crash-logs in case a developer could make use of them), and, shortly, is not as good as foo_vis_bacon... but i'm hoping it will be someday.

EDIT: i've actually _configured_ the frame rate and the internal stuff, and it's now completely useful... sorry about my former apreciation, it was too rushed 

panel version would be great

thanks again

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #191
I am using 0.9.1 and the latest columns_UI and I can't see the projectM in the sidebar nor in Columns help plz

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #192
I am using 0.9.1 and the latest columns_UI and I can't see the projectM in the sidebar nor in Columns help plz

Panel version will have to wait. It looks like the current version is rather buggy for some people, slow for some people, and I might have to do a bit of code overhaul to get it working reliably and properly.

Win XP SP2 (2002) - 1 Gb ram - radeon 9600 pro 256 ddr - p4/2.8@3.2 - fb2k 0.9.1 everything looks fine here
keep up the great work! (and thanks!)

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #193
Seems this project is all but dead. Note I didn't say it was dead, but its almost dead.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ic=29363&st=660

A shame to not finish this project but start work on another one. Maybe someone can come in and finish or at least add panel support.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #194
heh, all i want to see is the title fixed when i enable the visualization. it always says unknown..

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #195
It's not dead, I just decided to take a break. I need to contact the projectM authors themselves, because I think something is broke on their side, and I have absolutely no idea how the internals of it work.

I've put quite some time in this the last week, and I think I've got almost everything in place as far as the plugin goes, but all projectM is doing is rendering a black screen with text.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #196
I installed foo_vis_projectM and now foobar give me an error when opening, then crashes about 5 seconds later.  Still occurs after removing the plugin

Code: [Select]
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Not enough storage is available to process this command
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.UpdateLayered()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnHandleCreated(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCreate(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmCreate(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at MattCustomForm.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
foo_prettypop
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2277.30346
    Win32 Version: 1, 2, 1, 0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/foobar2000/components/foo_prettypop.dll
msvcm80
    Assembly Version: 8.0.50608.0
    Win32 Version: 8.00.50727.42
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_0de06acd/msvcm80.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #197
ummm foo_prettypop is causing that. prettypop uses .NET while foo_vis_projectM does not so there is not way that projectM can cause an error like that.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #198
Well... It DOES consume CPU depending on preset (and does get as high as 50% =P). So I won't accuse it of being a CPUhog...
(P4 1.3 gHz
256 MB RAM
Geforce 4)

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #199
not working in panel mode either from Columns UI 0.1.3 Beta 1 and onwards. needs a fix and a recompile.