Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Article: Why We Need Audiophiles (Read 493317 times) previous topic - next topic

Article: Why We Need Audiophiles

Reply #950
There's some vinyl rips from Michael Fremer available here, so it's possible to get at least some insight into the sound out of his phono preamp.  The downloads are the two "Step Right Up" AIFF files.  I'm not taking sides here, just mentioning this as an FYI.

BTW, I tried these in Foobar and they didn't work, but I don't know why.  Winamp plays them okay though.

Cool Edit Pro had no problem identifying them, and let me save them out as ordinary windows .wav files.

The bit order used was indeed LSB, MSB.

Any idea what the difference is between the two versions?

BTW, it appears that these two "needle drops" truely are needle drops with the system response to the needle striking the vinyl at the beginning of the files.

It appears that the mechanical step input excited considerable resonance in *something*  at around both 116 and 232 Hz.  Actual broadband dynamic range was between 40 and 50 dB. Definately noisy.

AFAK Tom Wait's "Step Right Up" never made it onto a CD from a master tape, which is quite a musical loss.

Reply #951
If the 'remedies' are onbly 'effective' through the placebo effect, it's not the substance of the remedies that is causing the effect.

And who cares how many believe something that has not been properly tested* except as examples of the power of belief and human gullibility?  If the ubiquity of the belief was enough to serve as 'proof', then scientific testing would not be necessary.  Unfortunately, enough widely-believed 'remedies' have proved to have no effect of their own, that one can't take widespread belief as an indicator of fact.

(*there is scientific evidence for effectiveness of chicken soup against cold)

The point you're ignoring is the benefit derived, whether or not it was a placebo. Benefit is benefit. Furthermore, if it helps people to be happier, than it simply can't be dismissed, out of hand, as inconsequential. Just because something doesn't agree with your beliefs doesn't mean it isn't real. It doesn't matter what people believe, what matters is that the effect has been proven to exist in a meaningful way through the rigors of scientific testing. It seems to me as if you're simply ignoring the facts which don't fit in your viewpoint.

... and yes, chicken soup can be beneficial, but I'd bet you're unable to explain the mechanism of that benefit, just as we cannot explain all the interactions in the audio arena.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #952
It's a) an iillustration, therefore of minor concern, b) an analogy, and will, as I have said, fall aprt when examined too closely. I don't see the need to carry on a debate with multiple posters on something that that I think trivial. YMMV.

Since most of your analogies, parables or whatever seem to be on the poor side perhaps you should consider either getting new analogies or trying a different approach.  Anyway, I think that illustrations absolutely do matter.  What if I had a magazine, free weekly or whatever and I had an unflattering article about audiophiles and I ran a cartoon illustration of you in a Pope hat with your arms raised as if delivering some sort of invocation and hordes of audiophiles bowing down to you waving their vinyl lps with, say, a nice big bonfire of iPods in the background?  Let's say you e-mailed me to ask about it and my response was "Oh, it's just a picture.  I know the analogy falls apart if you examine it closely, but I think you're taking this way too seriously." 

Besides, if Mr. Fremer can write an article complaining about the "swiftboating of audiophiles"  then why can't we point out that you seem to be doing a little bit of "swiftboating" of your own?

Reply #953
The point you're ignoring is the benefit derived, whether or not it was a placebo. Benefit is benefit. Furthermore, if it helps people to be happier, than it simply can't be dismissed, out of hand, as inconsequential. Just because something doesn't agree with your beliefs doesn't mean it isn't real. It doesn't matter what people believe, what matters is that the effect has been proven to exist in a meaningful way through the rigors of scientific testing. It seems to me as if you're simply ignoring the facts which don't fit in your viewpoint.

The point you're ignoring is a big one - reliability.

What is an acceptable level of reliability for say, a MP3 coder upgrade? Well, if taking advantage of the upgrade means recoding several terabytes of FLAC files, then one would hope that the reliability of the upgrade would be very high.

What is an acceptable level of reliability for a new snake bite antidote given the the existing antidote is 95%+ reliable,  readly available for a reasonable cost, and has negligable side-effects?

IME the effectiveness of holistic and other medical treatments whose only known effects are similar to that of placebos is maybe 30%.  Furthermore, the effectiveness of placebo treatments has been reported to decrease as time passes. After all, the inital effectiveness was dependent in suspended disbelief.

The effectiveness of many very expensive high end tweaks is in the same range, decreasing to zero in controlled evaluations.

If you spend $3,000 on a CD player, how reliable should the purported audible benefit be?  Should the purported audible benefit reliable enough to still be perceived after a lengthy discussion with a person who as ABXed a lot of CD players?

People *are* interested in reliability - after all it was the reduced reliability of American and British cars as compared to Japanese cars that decimated the US and British auto industries.

Reply #954
Again,this is not at odds with what I have written. I would note that tradeoff between "perceived sound quality problems" and the degree of compression is a personal one. And again, I don't understand what damage is being done to someone who rips, say, at 256kbps when 192kbps is the current level where he cannot distinguish the MP3 from the uncompressed file? Surely the damage occurs in the opposite direction, when he rips at a lower bit rate than he finds transparent? And nothing I have published would lead to that situation.

There is no real 'damage' for using a higher bitrate than is required for transparency.  There is however a loss of convenience.  Portables are size limited.  Your encoded bitrate determines how much music you can take with you.  For a quick example if you can fit 2000 songs on your portable at 256Kbps, then around 2700 will fit at 192Kbps, and 4000 will fit at 128Kbps.  If you can't tell the difference between the bit rates, which is better?  Using 128Kbps just doubled the capacity of my player, with no perceived quality loss.  Assuming i can't tell the difference between 256Kbps and 128Kbps.

Like I said, there's no real damage to using excessive bit rates, but conversely, there's no real cost to making an informed choice personalized to your ears.  A little bit of time testing up front pays dividends in maximizing the size of your portable library, with no loss in perceived quality.

Reply #955
The problem here is that both sides concentrate on individual components and I don't think this serves any purpose other than to create a clash of the orthodoxies. Audiophiles believe they can hear a difference between badge engineered CD players and HA members would dismiss such claims as laughable... testing that out is merely re-starting a paused fight. So instead it should be a systemic test - audiophile system (set up by audiophiles, as high-end, high-resolution and 'system matched' as possible) against prosaic equipment under double-blind and level-matched conditions. ABX test lossless vs. MP3 on one system. Repeat the same test on the other system. Do the same test as many times as possible. Stress upon the listeners that this is not to determine qualities of the systems under test, but instead to see if ABX results are altered by changes in the replay chain itself.

Except, both 'sides' don't focus on individual components.  One side says that two different modern amps picked at random, and compared level-matched, double-blind, and not being driven into distortion, are more likely than not to sound the same.  Ditto (with appropriate provisos) digital players, cables, preamps.  NOT the case for transducers, analog gear, tube stages.

Btw, Tom Nousaine did a test similar to what you proposed -- he had audiophiles compare a 'high end' system to one composed of mass market stuff.  Guess what the result was.

Also, you commit a common fallacy here -- writing as if the evidence up front supports both sides equally, and therefore the same burden of proof lies on both sides.  You ignore the *reasons why* each side believes what it does.  One side can point to hearing thresholds, experimental evidence for fallibility of perception, measurements of the technology itself and the way the technology works.  The other side points to the 'fact' that it has more discriminating ears than the average listener, has better gear than the average hobbyist, and that science can't measure everything.  Where the measurements indicate little or no likelihood of audible difference, one side accepts that , the other believes that (sighted) report of audible difference trumps measurements.

Reply #956
Ah. Another 4/4 result   

If you are implying dishonesty on my part here, please do so directly. I prefer my criticism bare-faced and up-front.

I'm not implying dishonesty, for god's sake.  I'm saying that a four-trial test won't provide very robust standalone proof of effect....as was noted earlier in this thread, when Fremer and Atkinson reported 4/5 and 5/5 results in an old amplifier DBT, as if htis was slam-dunk proof of claim.

This one with the added feature of near-instantaneous identification of very high bitrate lossy fiels made with the presumably good AAC codec. 

This raises all kinds of flags.

Please elucidate. What flags?

Methodological ones.  When suddenly a result appears that is not just unusual, but almost 180 degrees in apposition to the bulk of previous results, one first checks carefully that the method was not flawed.
And I'm talking more about the ease of detection here, not the 4/4 result itself.

Reply #957
Again,this is not at odds with what I have written. I would note that tradeoff between "perceived sound quality problems" and the degree of compression is a personal one.

But that tradeoff is not well-assessed by sighted comparison, or by the graphs you showed.

Reply #958
There's some vinyl rips from Michael Fremer available here, so it's possible to get at least some insight into the sound out of his phono preamp.  The downloads are the two "Step Right Up" AIFF files.  I'm not taking sides here, just mentioning this as an FYI.

BTW, I tried these in Foobar and they didn't work, but I don't know why.  Winamp plays them okay though.

Cool Edit Pro had no problem identifying them, and let me save them out as ordinary windows .wav files.

The bit order used was indeed LSB, MSB.

Hehe, you'll love this .  The link to these files was originally posted by Michael Fremer over in the "Furutech demag" thread at the Stereophile forum.  One of the files was taken after "LP demagnetization"  and the other not.  If I recall correctly, Axon looked at these and found a 0.6 percent speed difference, which in itself raises some questions ("hey, what do you want from a $100,000 turntable anyway?").

Regarding your earlier question of what these should be compared to, I probably should have put more disclaimers in my original post in which they were linked.  "Not intended for scientific purposes", etc.  My purpose in listening to them was to get some idea of the extent of vinyl artifacts present.

Reply #959
If the 'remedies' are onbly 'effective' through the placebo effect, it's not the substance of the remedies that is causing the effect.

And who cares how many believe something that has not been properly tested* except as examples of the power of belief and human gullibility?  If the ubiquity of the belief was enough to serve as 'proof', then scientific testing would not be necessary.  Unfortunately, enough widely-believed 'remedies' have proved to have no effect of their own, that one can't take widespread belief as an indicator of fact.

(*there is scientific evidence for effectiveness of chicken soup against cold)

The point you're ignoring is the benefit derived, whether or not it was a placebo. Benefit is benefit.

I'm not ignoring that.  I'm pointing out that erroneous conclusions of cause/effect can be, and often are, extrapolated from subjectively-perceived benefit.  If someone says "I felt better after I took that pill" it's a different claim than "Something in that pill cured me."  The latter claim is a common leap of faith that is THE VERY REASON WHY EXPERIMENTAL CONTROLS EXIST.

Furthermore, if it helps people to be happier, than it simply can't be dismissed, out of hand, as inconsequential. Just because something doesn't agree with your beliefs doesn't mean it isn't real. It doesn't matter what people believe, what matters is that the effect has been proven to exist in a meaningful way through the rigors of scientific testing. It seems to me as if you're simply ignoring the facts which don't fit in your viewpoint.

It seems to me you aren't understanding what I, and some others, are writing, if you believe that.  I am in full agreement that effects should be properly proven to exist if they are claimed to exist.  Scientists are also concerned with correctly ascribing a cause to an effect.    If a listener reports that A 'sounds' better than B from a 'sighted' comparison, that preference (effect) may not be due to an actual audible difference (cause), but rather due to other aspects of A.  So claiming that the *sound* of A 'caused' the effect, without further evidence, only confuses the issue.

... and yes, chicken soup can be beneficial, but I'd bet you're unable to explain the mechanism of that benefit, just as we cannot explain all the interactions in the audio arena.

I'm surprised that you, who seems to get all his information from Wikipedia, missed the proposed, not at all mysterious, mechanism for immunological benefits of chicken soup, offered by the scientists who studied it.  It's cited on the 'chicken soup' wiki page.  The point is that unlike audio, no recourse is made to 'what science can't measure'.

And that's enough from me for THIS particular pointless tangent of yours...you've already littered the thread with enough of that lately and I decline to get entangled.  There are much bigger fish to fry.

Would it be too much to hope that others here follow my lead on this?

Reply #960
most of the ca. 1990 Stereo Review ABX tests of power amplifiers and CD players were performed using large Magnepan's in a relatively large well-designed room that conformed to the IEC listening room standards of the day.

Granted, but sadly such tests remain a thing of the past. If the only sources of information on hardware don't seem willing to discuss the products on the basis of blind testing, aren't our hardware selection processes dreadfully arbitrary?

IMO you're worrying about an issue that was settled long ago in a different context. Not only that, but you've excluded a rich middle range of excellent loudspeakers from your discussion.

Very possibly and that's something I would like to explore in greater depth, but feel there is no realistic place to explore such products any more. It seems that audio magazines and webzines mostly fall back on creative writing to describe products, while more objective places seem to have a knee-jerk response dismissing the hardware side of things (because there's so little hardware testing that's thorough enough to make the grade).

I'm familiar with speakers of the kind you mention for your first two alternatives. Used appropriately, the CV's are proabably not all that much less revealing of codec faults than the Genelecs. Besides balance and smoothness, studio monitors generally have a lot more dynamic range than small home speakers, and this can cost serious money to implement. The Magicos are simply rediculous, you can no doubt find something in the Paradigm catalog with a similar design and maybe even better performance, for a few percent of the price. The Genelecs chosen are almost as rediculous as the Magicos. Genelec is best known for studio monitor speakers more of the size and general configuration as the CVs. albeit for about 20 times the money.

I was plucking examples out of the internet, yes. CV no longer has a presence in my country - I remember them purely as 'LOUDspeakers' (the company's own marketing) and being particularly vexatious, but this might be due to the musical tastes and high volume levels preferred by those who bought them. I have 'little' (read: 'no') knowledge of studio design, but remember someone mentioning Genelec as being 'not a pair of Yamaha NS10s'. The Magicos I plucked from TAS's website, and chose them as being particularly OTT examples of genus audiophilus carus. So yes, I suppose I was making a statement here.

With more background work, I could likely find a trio of loudspeakers (real-world, studio and audiophile) that would be a closer match to one another. Here's a possibility:

Real-World: Tannoy Custom F1
Studio: Behringer B2030P
Audiophile: Revel M22

All three are two-way standmount speakers (I'm not sure if the last is ported), ideal for similarly sized small rooms. The UK prices make the real-world model some 12x cheaper than the audiophile model. Given the price differential (and under controlled conditions), should I expect the Revel to, er, reveal more information about the signal it receives? Problem is, today there's no one running test protocols with the sort of thoroughness to answer this.

You may already have the answers here. Forgive me if I want to discover them for myself.

Most codec faults seem to be present in the middle and upper frequency ranges, so bass extension is not usually a big issue.

However, if you attempt to verify this on a loudspeaker system with inconsistent bass extension, how could you tell this reliably? A lot of (ported) loudspeakers put out extra energy in the 50-80Hz region to make them appear to have deeper bass. This comes at the expense of decent definition from 100Hz or lower. Could codec faults be masked by a port swamping the sub-100Hz region with an 80Hz boom?

In your experience, per what you are currently saying.

Yes, I see the potential fallacy in that reasoning. However, we could be a bunch of econobox owners wondering about high-octane fuel. Shouldn't we also be open to the existence of Ferraris and their requirements? 

It has been done.  No special joy.

Again, forgive me if I want to discover this for myself. Perhaps the problem is that the 'been there, done that' nature of this testing needs a periodic re-run. Ideally, of course, that should be the job of the audio magazines...

I think that Gizmodo's mention of Fremer's wildly over-priced speakers with questionable technical performance has skewed some people's perceptions of what it takes to obtain  dynamic, good-sounding and highly revealing loudspeakers.

This is highly likely. And ultimately damaging for audio - if the price of admission to top-class sound is said to be hundreds of thousands but is in fact hundreds or thousands, this makes a mockery of the whole thing.

And if I didn't think that through, there must be thousands of less-interested people ignoring the audiophile party altogether.

Reply #961
most of the ca. 1990 Stereo Review ABX tests of power amplifiers and CD players were performed using large Magnepan's in a relatively large well-designed room that conformed to the IEC listening room standards of the day.

Granted, but sadly such tests remain a thing of the past. If the only sources of information on hardware don't seem willing to discuss the products on the basis of blind testing, aren't our hardware selection processes dreadfully arbitrary?

Not necessarily.  You seem to think published DBTs (or lack of same) are our ONLY sources of information on hardware.  This implies that measured performance of hardware never indicates whether it will be audibly different.  Is that what you believe?

It also implies that the sound of the hardware is the only criterion we use for selecting hardware....is that what you believe?

Reply #962
I'm not implying dishonesty, for god's sake.  I'm saying that a four-trial test won't provide very robust standalone proof of effect....as was noted earlier in this thread, when Fremer and Atkinson reported 4/5 and 5/5 results in an old amplifier DBT, as if htis was slam-dunk proof of claim.

I made no suggestion of this being 'proof' of anything. Proof is best left to whiskey bottles in this context.

Methodological ones.  When suddenly a result appears that is not just unusual, but almost 180 degrees in apposition to the bulk of previous results, one first checks carefully that the method was not flawed.
And I'm talking more about the ease of detection here, not the 4/4 result itself.

Fair point. I thought the ease of detection odd, too, given my home results. It's not as though I suddenly grew better ears.

Reply #963
Except, both 'sides' don't focus on individual components.  One side says that two different modern amps picked at random, and compared level-matched, double-blind, and not being driven into distortion, are more likely than not to sound the same.  Ditto (with appropriate provisos) digital players, cables, preamps.  NOT the case for transducers, analog gear, tube stages.

I think you miss my point (or maybe I buried it, which is likely). A system-vs-system test (expressed as such from the outset, possibly like the one you suggest Tom Nousaine conducted) is one of the few ways you can potentially expose potentially nonsense audiophile ideas for what they are. If this has been done, it needs to be done again. And again.

Despite all this the audiophiles will cry foul simply because of the test methodology and because it does not necessarily generate the result they would like.

Also, you commit a common fallacy here -- writing as if the evidence up front supports both sides equally, and therefore the same burden of proof lies on both sides.  You ignore the *reasons why* each side believes what it does.  One side can point to hearing thresholds, experimental evidence for fallibility of perception, measurements of the technology itself and the way the technology works.  The other side points to the 'fact' that it has more discriminating ears than the average listener, has better gear than the average hobbyist, and that science can't measure everything.  Where the measurements indicate little or no likelihood of audible difference, one side accepts that , the other believes that (sighted) report of audible difference trumps measurements.

The problem is not one of proof, IMO. It's one of 'truthiness', and the audible difference brigade are good at making statements that are full of it (truthiness, that is). Which is why you need to ignore the reasons why people hold to their ideas, but try to explain and demonstrate how their ideas are flawed. 

Reply #964
Lost cause, probably, but I'm insomniac, so:

Could people please look again at Gag Halfrunt's proposal. What he wants to do is to run a series of ABX tests (of the same samples, I assume) on systems of differing price levels, and presumably different levels of quality, to see if the results come out differently. To make it concrete: can you ABX V3 from lossless on an expensive system, but only V5 on a cheapie, or vice versa.

There is a real question here, one that seems not to have been investigated, or at least still allows two different positions to be expressed on HA without being ToS-8ed: the first is the intuitively plausible one, that you can hear better with a good system, so you can ABX higher quality lossy. The second position is counter-intuitive, and hence more appealing: that the bad system disrupts the assumptions about masking etc. in the psy-model, so you can ABX more decisively with crap.

This would seem to be something that cries out for empirical investigation, and I've been thinking about trying it myself. I will now do so, even though I have cloth ears and equipment which at best is mediocre, in the hope of stirring up the better-equipped to do their own tests.

If this is not a good idea, noting that it is purely a test of if, and if so, how far, changing equipment affects ability to ABX, please to explain, remembering that I am not advocating voodoo-dust or challenging the virtue of my forefathers who died in the ABX wars for the sake of happy iPod users like me.

Edit: while I was composing this, G H was speaking for himself. I'm relieved that I seem to have read his intentions correctly.

Reply #965
Could people please look again at Gag Halfrunt's proposal.

German c't magazine has tried this (MP3 vs. CD audio) with 12 listeners out of 300 who had applied in 2000. Equipment was a pair B&W Nautilus 803 speakers, a Marantz CD14 as DAC and a Marantz PM14 integrated amp. The test was supervised by a recording engineer of Deutsche Grammophon. It was a huge success for MP3, which was still in early stages when compared to todays tuned encoders. MP3 at 256kbit/s reached exactly the same statistical score as CD audio (501 points) and MP3 at 128kbit/s was slightly off (439) with only 1% probability of error. Most of the time, when differences between MP3-128 and CDA could be perceived, MP3 was rated higher than CD audio. All attendees had expressed to have better than average ears before the test and had to provide some proof of qualification to get into the final selection. AAC wasn't available to the public back then.

I would also like to see a new round of this with current encoders.

Reply #966
Could people please look again at Gag Halfrunt's proposal.

German c't magazine has tried this (MP3 vs. CD audio) with 12 listeners out of 300 who had applied in 2000. Equipment was a pair B&W Nautilus 803 speakers, a Marantz CD14 as DAC and a Marantz PM14 integrated amp. It was a huge success for MP3, which was still in early stages when compared to todays tuned encoders. MP3 at 256kbit/s reached exactly the same statistical score as CD audio (501 points) and MP3 at 128kbit/s was slightly off (439) with only 1% probability of error. Most of the time, when differences between MP3-128 and CDA could be perceived, MP3 was rated higher than CD audio. All attendees had expressed to have better than average ears before the test. AAC wasn't available to the public back then.

I think we'd find that listener selection, listener training, and sample selection would be much more important than the listening hardware (assuming it's at least fairly competent).  Just my guess.

Reply #967
You seem to think published DBTs (or lack of same) are our ONLY sources of information on hardware.  This implies that measured performance of hardware never indicates whether it will be audibly different.  Is that what you believe?

It also implies that the sound of the hardware is the only criterion we use for selecting hardware....is that what you believe?

No... and no.

That being said, I am highly suspect of measured performance ratings made by less than scrupled loudspeaker manufacturers. SoundStage AV is a useful source of information, but for a UK buyer it leaves one with a very small pool of products. I'm not sure I trust the measurements of magazines otherwise.

However, I am also aware that this means many people use no selection process whatsoever apart from price, because there's nothing other than the creative writing versions of audio magazines these days.

Reply #968
I know some people actually believe that, but in fact that is an idealistic expectation.  It is all about image. Look at how Atkinson cherry-picks points to reply to. Look at how people here get distracted by that.

Actually, Mr. Atkinson's evasiveness has been repeatedly commented on, and seems to be quite apparent to most here. I don't think he's scoring any points at all with that little trick.

I think that might be true of the majority, but notice how the poster right after me responded.

Reply #969
You seem to think published DBTs (or lack of same) are our ONLY sources of information on hardware.  This implies that measured performance of hardware never indicates whether it will be audibly different.  Is that what you believe?

No... and no.

That being said, I am highly suspect of measured performance ratings made by less than scrupled loudspeaker manufacturers. SoundStage AV is a useful source of information, but for a UK buyer it leaves one with a very small pool of products. I'm not sure I trust the measurements of magazines otherwise.

However, I am also aware that this means many people use no selection process whatsoever apart from price, because there's nothing other than the creative writing versions of audio magazines these days.

Please don't lump loudspeakers in with all other classes of home audio hardware.  Every 'objectivist' accepts that loudspeakers (and to an extent other transducers) are likely going to 1) sound different ; 2) be particularly difficult to set up a good DBT for  and 3) have less definite metrics for judging sound quality than we have for mere difference.  (But even given that, Stereophile itself usually publishes substantial and useful bench tests of loudspeakers...far more comprehensive than most other audio journals I've seen)

For CD players, cables, amps, preamps, however, the question is present at the start : do the really sound differemt at all?  And there we have more than just DBT results from which to make reasonable predictions.

Reply #970
German c't magazine has tried this (MP3 vs. CD audio) with 12 listeners out of 300 who had applied in 2000. Equipment was a pair B&W Nautilus 803 speakers, a Marantz CD14 as DAC and a Marantz PM14 integrated amp. The test was supervised by a recording engineer of Deutsche Grammophon. It was a huge success for MP3, which was still in early stages when compared to todays tuned encoders. MP3 at 256kbit/s reached exactly the same statistical score as CD audio (501 points) and MP3 at 128kbit/s was slightly off (439) with only 1% probability of error. Most of the time, when differences between MP3-128 and CDA could be perceived, MP3 was rated higher than CD audio. All attendees had expressed to have better than average ears before the test and had to provide some proof of qualification to get into the final selection. AAC wasn't available to the public back then.

OK, I did not know that. It sounds as if it really would be academic to push for 'special magic audiophile toys'. Of course, by high-end standards, this is equivalent to two tin-cans tied up with string... at least in price terms.

Maybe it's time to go retracting some statements. Although I still maintain that the only way this will ever trickle down to the audiophile mind-set is by taking the argument right to the very core and running the test on kit that costs as much as a private jet. Once this particular folk devil gets exorcised at the top down, perhaps it'll reach the rank-and-file audioloon.

Failing that, someone will invent a Ward-Off MP3 spell they can cast.

Reply #971

Hehe, you'll love this .  The link to these files was originally posted by Michael Fremer over in the "Furutech demag" thread at the Stereophile forum.  One of the files was taken after "LP demagnetization"  and the other not.  If I recall correctly, Axon looked at these and found a 0.6 percent speed difference, which in itself raises some questions ("hey, what do you want from a $100,000 turntable anyway?").

OK then the comparison is that they are before and after processing by the Furutech LP demagnetizer.

Or alternatively, they are the results of two successive playings of the same LP.

I did my own matching of lengths and found the lengths to be:

1 (before)  5:39.984  339.984 seconds
2 (after)      5:39.758  339.758 seconds

Because the end of the needle drop is a fade out (presumably from the LP) figuring out the end of the LP is somewhat subjective. I used a pretty clearly defined peak about 2.85 sec before the actual end as my benchmark.

The lengths I obtained (above) were about 0.06% different.

Overall levels matched within 0.01 dB.

However there was a measurable difference above 4 KHz that reached about 3 dB at 10 KHz and seemed to be far, far more (> 9 dB) above 15 KHz.  I atrribute this to unrecovered groove deformation.

I asked what people thought the difference was on the SP forum, and received ummm, inconclusive answers.

I tried a very fast ABX and obtained 20/30 which should make the believers in 95% confidence think a bit. I' like to see some younger listeners try it.

Reply #972
Failing that, someone will invent a Ward-Off MP3 spell they can cast.
You jest but I wrote an MP3 renaming program which inexplicably makes every MP3 I rename with it sound fuller, with a more clearly defined soundstage and exceptional 3-dimensional location. The highs of course sound noticeably more transcendant than before. It's really night-and-day.

Reply #973
Please don't lump loudspeakers in with all other classes of home audio hardware.  Every 'objectivist' accepts that loudspeakers (and to an extent other transducers) are likely going to 1) sound different ; 2) be particularly difficult to set up a good DBT for  and 3) have less definite metrics for judging sound quality than we have for mere difference.  (But even given that, Stereophile itself usually publishes substantial and useful bench tests of loudspeakers...far more comprehensive than most other audio journals I've seen)

For CD players, cables, amps, preamps, however, the question is present at the start : do the really sound differemt at all?  And there we have more than just DBT results from which to make reasonable predictions.

I don't lump loudspeakers in with other audio hardware. What I've been discussing is loudspeaker-based. And yes, Stereophile does seem to do good work here, but much of the work it does seems irrelevant to me as I don't have tens of thousands to spend on a loudspeaker. My problem is that few audiophiles get this at all, but to disabuse them of this at the same time as trying to shake their firm belief in the supremacy of the uncompressed file seems to be asking too much. Which is why I am (was) suggesting a systemic approach.

If you establish an audio system that uses a good pair of loudspeakers ('good' in this context implies it performs well from both audiophile and objective standings) but then connect it to what audiophiles would dismiss as a ho-hum design (because it doesn't have the right label or doesn't weigh enough), you are simply giving them ammo to shoot down the test. Even if their ammo is nothing but blanks, it still makes a loud noise to other audiophiles. So, you make the test as audiophile-friendly as possible, using expensive cables, tables and the rest (albeit you make it clear you are doing so under sufferance). Turn your nose up at the temple bells, though.

Reply #974
If you establish an audio system that uses a good pair of loudspeakers ('good' in this context implies it performs well from both audiophile and objective standings) but then connect it to what audiophiles would dismiss as a ho-hum design (because it doesn't have the right label or doesn't weigh enough), you are simply giving them ammo to shoot down the test.

We played that game back inthe late 80s when we did the amplifier and CD player tests. That was followed by an onslaught on the basic idea of blind tests, which is going strong through today. AFAIK, there has been no new golden ear doctrine in this area since then. None needed, it seems.

Even if their ammo is nothing but blanks, it still makes a loud noise to other audiophiles.

Which is also true. I see the basic HE doctrine which became well-defined in the early 90s, on audiopile forums wherever I look.

So, you make the test as audiophile-friendly as possible, using expensive cables, tables and the rest (albeit you make it clear you are doing so under sufferance). Turn your nose up at the temple bells, though.

In the end people will believe whatever they want to believe. There are very few new Christians taken from the ranks of confirmed atheists, and vice-versa.  The only place where traction is possible to a useful extent is among the truely undecided.