Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is it possible to ensamble a decent 2.1 HT for 300? (Read 3579 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to ensamble a decent 2.1 HT for 300?

I currently have an Onkyo HTX-22HDX. Being a small 2.1 system, the sound is more than enough for me, but I'm having issues with the 3D pass through capabilities, so I'm looking for alternatives.

My first thought was a HTIB system, something like Sony HT-CT550W ($250), Onkyo HT-S3500 ($280), Sony HT-CT660 ($280), or the Yamaha YHT-497 ($330), but I'm wondering if I can assemble something better for $330.

MIINIMUM: 2.1, 3D pass through capable, and 3 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output.

NICE TO HAVE: 4 HDMI inputs, 4K capable and 5.1 upgradeable.

The only decent receivers that I know for the price are either the Onkyo TX-SR313 or the Denon AVR-E200 for around 170 each. So, can I get 2 speakers and a sub for 160 (total 330) that would be better than the YHT497? Is it worth it?

THANKS!

Reply #1
So I have "reduced" my options to this:

1) Any of the HTIB:
      Sony HT-CT550W ($250) or
      Onkyo HT-S3500 ($280) or
      Sony HT-CT660  ($280) or
      Yamaha YHT-497 ($330)

2) A Good Receiver + Monoprice Speakers, options:
   Receiver:
      Onkyo TX-SR313 ($170) or
      Denon AVR-E200 ($170)
   Speakers:
      Monoprice Premium Home Theater Satellite Speaker (Pair) $60
      Monoprice 8 Inch 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer $60
      OR
      Monoprice 5.1 Channel Home Theater Satellite Speakers & Subwoofer $90

3) A BETTER Receiver + Monoprice Speakers, options:
      Receiver:   
         Yamaha RX-V373 ($200) or
         Denon AVR-1513 ($230) or
         Sony STR-DH740 ($250) or
         Yamaha RX-V377 ($250) or
         Yamaha RX-V375 ($260)
      Speakers:

4) Use my current onkyo speakers and buy a subwofer for 130 ~ 160, depending on the receiver price, and latter add the speakers if needed.

Again, to put it in context, I currently run an Onkyo HTX-22HDX 2.1 and I'm plenty happy with the sound.

Since I would have to import whatever I decide to buy, I would love some help with choosing.

So, any thoughts?

Reply #2
So I have "reduced" my options to this:

1) Any of the HTIB:
      Sony HT-CT550W ($250) or
      Onkyo HT-S3500 ($280) or
      Sony HT-CT660  ($280) or
      Yamaha YHT-497 ($330)

2) A Good Receiver + Monoprice Speakers, options:
   Receiver:
      Onkyo TX-SR313 ($170) or
      Denon AVR-E200 ($170)
   Speakers:
      Monoprice Premium Home Theater Satellite Speaker (Pair) $60
      Monoprice 8 Inch 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer $60
      OR

3) A BETTER Receiver + Monoprice Speakers, options:
      Receiver:   
         Yamaha RX-V373 ($200) or
         Denon AVR-1513 ($230) or
         Sony STR-DH740 ($250) or
         Yamaha RX-V377 ($250) or
         Yamaha RX-V375 ($260)
      Speakers:

4) Use my current onkyo speakers and buy a subwofer for 130 ~ 160, depending on the receiver price, and latter add the speakers if needed.

Again, to put it in context, I currently run an Onkyo HTX-22HDX 2.1 and I'm plenty happy with the sound.

Since I would have to import whatever I decide to buy, I would love some help with choosing.

So, any thoughts?

If it is not broken, why fix it?

The product seems to be highly regarded - I could see some of the alternatives being a move backwards.

Reply #3
If it is not broken, why fix it? The product seems to be highly regarded - I could see some of the alternatives being a move backwards.

I'm confused about your response. You mean the Onkyo HTX-22HDX? If that is the case, I'm having issues with 3D pass through.

Reply #4
If it is not broken, why fix it? The product seems to be highly regarded - I could see some of the alternatives being a move backwards.

I'm confused about your response. You mean the Onkyo HTX-22HDX? If that is the case, I'm having issues with 3D pass through.

No, I was confused. There was such a laundry list of features that the 3D and 4K got lost.

The immediacy of those features is very low for me, so I have nothing to add.

Reply #5
No, I was confused. There was such a laundry list of features that the 3D and 4K got lost. The immediacy of those features is very low for me, so I have nothing to add.

Don't worry, I'm confused myself