Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: recommend your favorite Christmas album (Read 9421 times) previous topic - next topic

recommend your favorite Christmas album

My current favorite is Diana Krall's Christma Songs. Followed closely by Tony Bennett's A Swingin' Christmas.

I look forward to your recommendations.

Reply #1
I guess I'd have to say "Christmas With The Rat Pack" (sorry, probably a bit obvious).

I have a Crosby/Sinatra double CD as well, but the quality is really poor (old recordings).

My favourite Christmas track is probably Little Drummer Boy, performed by David Bowie and Bing Crosby.  Generally though, I prefer the oldies, I love Dean Martin's voice, he does "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!" so well.  I expect I'd like your Tony Bennett album; I have some Christmas tracks by him on some compilations ("Winter Wonderland" springs to mind).

I always find "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" sad (Sinatra does it well); it reminds me of the days after Christmas, when you're wondering how it passed so quickly.  I remember an episode of Ally McBeal where the singer did a really slow version; very mournful.

Of course, on the flip-side you have Wizard and Slade, which are a must.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #3
Thanks guys. I've previewed the Rat Pack CD but it's not quite what I'm looking for. But the Charlie Brown CD... wow! It's incredible. I've watched the movie several times when I was growing up and I didn't notice the music much. But now it sounds wonderful. That Vince Guaraldi is a genius.

Reply #4
I wish he'd done a dozen more Christmas albums like that.  Though his regular jazz albums are pretty cool too...

Reply #6
Sandi Patti - Celebrate Christmas

http://www.amazon.com/Hallmark-Presents-Sa...8967&sr=1-7

Long out of print but cheap in the used cd section.  Sandi has a really strong soprano voice and the London Symphony can keep up with the pipes.
foobar2000, FLAC, and qAAC -V90
It just works people!

Reply #8
Tish Hinojosa - Memorabilia Navidenia

out of print I believe, but reissued with some extra songs on album "From Texas for a Christmas Night"

Reply #9
A little late for this year but Elvis Presley's Elvis' Christmas Album.

Reply #11
Bing Crosby's "White Christmas."  Had this album on 78's when I was a kid.  (Don't ask how long ago)

Reply #12
Christmas with Leontyne Price, if you want very trad. Christmas songs. Her "We Three Kings of Orient Are" is a revelation; a marvellous dynamic pulse that avoids being a metronomic beat.

Reply #13
Tish Hinojosa - Memorabilia Navidenia

out of print I believe, but reissued with some extra songs on album "From Texas for a Christmas Night"

I have both. Fantastic.