Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Noob question about Accuraterip (Read 4790 times) previous topic - next topic

Noob question about Accuraterip

There is any chance that Accuraterip accept as "accurate" a lossy album converted to a lossless format (source -> lossy -> lossless)?
Does Accuraterip check the audio integrity bit by bit like foobar2000 does to check if 2 audio files are exactly the same?

Thanks!

Reply #1
No, AR does not perform any checks, and yes, it's possible to "fake" AR entries, if someone burns a CD from lossy source and then rips that CD and submits the results. Note that I put "fake" into quotes, because technically, the CD is not fake. It's just another CD with its own AR signature, and there is no reason why AR should not accept it. There are also "real" CDs made from lossy sources (the recent Robert Palmer reissues from Edsel for example).

Reply #2
thanks!

Reply #3
I thinked about it , and I have one doubt

If accuraterip does not check audio integrity, why it gives you "non accurate" result when a CD is scratched enough? It isn't the track lenght the same?

Reply #4
AccurateRip does check data by hashing the audio itself, as can be verified in many parts of its documentation.

I have no idea why Goratrix thinks it does not, or what purpose s/he thinks AccurateRip would have if all it did were to compare the lengths of tracks ripped by different users, something that will most likely remain constant while giving precisely no indications of quality.

Reply #5
Does Accuraterip check the audio integrity bit by bit like foobar2000 does to check if 2 audio files are exactly the same?

It doesn't compare a files directly but it calculates a checksum and submit this checksum to the AR database.
This checksum changes the moment the bits are different.
That will be the case if you rip a e.g. MP3 version of the original

There is a nice article in the Wiki: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=AccurateRip
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #6
AccurateRip does check data by hashing the audio itself, as can be verified in many parts of its documentation.

I have no idea why Goratrix thinks it does not, or what purpose s/he thinks AccurateRip would have if all it did were to compare the lengths of tracks ripped by different users, something that will most likely remain constant while giving precisely no indications of quality.

It does NOT check the data in the way that OP was asking about (to determine if a disc came from a lossy source). Nor does it prevent the addition of a disc to the database if said disc has different data content. It just treats the new disc as a new disc or new pressing of a existing disc. Maybe I have misunderstood OP's question, but if the question was "can AR accept and verify a disc made from lossy (mp3) sources?" then the answer is yes, as all that is needed is to create a burned disc, rip it and submit it.

Reply #7
Goratrix is right.

This checksum changes the moment the bits are different.

This sounds nice and all, but it's been shown how this is definitely not the case.  The algorithm isn't so broken for it to be blamed as the likely culprit for mistaking a lossily encoded rip from the original source by providing positive verification, however.

Reply #8
This sounds nice and all, but it's been shown how this is definitely not the case.

Care to elaborate?
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #9
This sounds nice and all, but it's been shown how this is definitely not the case.

Care to elaborate?

Because of the pigeonhole principle, as long as the checksum is smaller than the audio data, there must be multiple inputs that produce the same checksum. AccurateRip uses a CRC, which is very reliable at detecting accidental errors, but it would be fairly easy to produce a CRC collision intentionally. The AccurateRip CRC checksum in particular seems to ignore some parts of the audio data entirely, meaning it would definitely fail to detect errors in those areas.