Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Speex RC3 is out! (Read 6002 times) previous topic - next topic

Speex RC3 is out!

Speex RC3 arrives a little later than originally planned (it was originally announced for February 20), but close enough to the schedule for gov'ment work. 

From the website:
Just some more bugfixes and tuning are in this release; If no bugs are found, this may be rebranded Speex 1.0.

If there’s anything that doesn’t work, now is your last good time to report a bug.

- M.

Speex RC3 is out!

Reply #1
win32 binaries at 'Other Stuff' Mirror 1, below.

Speex RC3 is out!

Reply #2
And my compiles at my page.

Speex RC3 is out!

Reply #3
Please give rc3 a try. Use it, abuse it, report bugs. It's very important in order to have a bug-free ™ 1.0 release.

Speex RC3 is out!

Reply #4
SPEEX HURT MY EARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

Yeah, that true

The first time use Speex give me a very bad experience 

D:\>speexenc -u -V --vbr --quality 9 1.wav 1.spx
Warning: Speex is only optimized for 8, 16 and 32 kHz. It will still work at 441
00 Hz but your mileage may vary
Encoding 44100 Hz audio using ultra-wideband (sub-band CELP) mode (stereo)
Bitrate is use: 17914 bps  (average 35809 bps)

use Winamp Plug-ins from link @ speex.org

When it play in Winamp, it product very anoying noise along with music, my hear is hurt (yeah, that's true...it's very anoying @ high frequency and high pitch,and I got headache    )

Don't know this is a bug of enc or decode

sample
http://members.shaw.ca/annefrank/1.spx

/edit

frequence ,not bitrate
still LAME 3.96.1 --preset extreme -q 0 -V 0 -m s at least until 2005.

Speex RC3 is out!

Reply #5
When it play in Winamp, it product very anoying noise along with music, my hear is hurt (yeah, that's true...it's very anoying @ high frequency and high pitch,and I got headache  :angry:  :angry: ) ...

Why do you feed Speex with music then, i don't get it. It's not meant for encoding music.
See Can I use Speex for compressing music?.
... and if you get such a message like 'Speex is only optimized for 8, 16 and 32 kHz' you shouldn't be too suprised that it sounds like a vulture practice the violin, especially when you feed Speex with music.
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one! (Benjamin Franklin)

Speex RC3 is out!

Reply #6
When it play in Winamp, it product very anoying noise along with music, my hear is hurt (yeah, that's true...it's very anoying @ high frequency and high pitch,and I got headache     )

I listened to your file and actually I'm suprised that it wasn't worse. First, as quellcore notes, Speex is NOT designed for music, but for speech. Second, the VBR mode is even less adapted to music. Third, you were encoding at a non-recomended bit-rate (while music is mainly 44.1 kHz, speech is mostly 8 kHz and 16 kHz). Forth, the ultra-wideband (>32 kHz) is an approximation that's only valid for voice.

Speex RC3 is out!

Reply #7
When it play in Winamp, it product very anoying noise along with music, my hear is hurt (yeah, that's true...it's very anoying @ high frequency and high pitch,and I got headache     ) ...

Why do you feed Speex with music then, i don't get it. It's not meant for encoding music.
See Can I use Speex for compressing music?.
... and if you get such a message like 'Speex is only optimized for 8, 16 and 32 kHz' you shouldn't be too suprised that it sounds like a vulture practice the violin, especially when you feed Speex with music.

yeah, that's right  . I feed it with music 

How stupid I am   

I IIRC someone with Canada Flag (maybe Speex dev ??) say(in here) that I don't thinks Speex is that bad with music when a members complaint about Speex ? That's why i give speex a try =/

But I just can't find that post right now, it gave me a bunch of result (5 pages :'(
still LAME 3.96.1 --preset extreme -q 0 -V 0 -m s at least until 2005.

Speex RC3 is out!

Reply #8
I IIRC someone with Canada Flag (maybe Speex dev ??) say(in here) that I don't thinks Speex is that bad with music when a members complaint about Speex ? That's why i give speex a try =/

Well it's not *that* bad (compared to other speech codecs) when you use the "right" options for encoding music. You may want to down-sample to 16 kHz and use
speexenc --quality 10 --comp 6 file.wav file.spx
(as I said, VBR is terrible for music and so is 44.1 kHz - 32 kHz may be OK, but maybe not)

Speex RC3 is out!

Reply #9
Greetingz from da Motha-Land! ;p (j/k)

The "Ringing" I've experienced occurred after ±10mins of Vorbis (or Speex) audio.

It seems most Ogg formats (well, both Vorbis and Speex) emit the irritating high-pitched frequencies if the EQUALIZER in Winamp is enabled.

Disabling the equalizer helped me no longer fear Winamp's "Ringing of Death"

This is of course assuming you used Winamp.

Just my R0.02.
Jason.

(in case it matters: SB Live! de5.1; Cambridge SoundWorks FPS1000)

Speex RC3 is out!

Reply #10
HOLY THREAD RESURECTION!

Edit: Speex has reached version 1.0.2 by now - maybe it's time to update?
Edit2: Read the rules, you make no sense, and I think as a new member you should read around a little bit before you go posting again.....motherland? BAH!

Speex RC3 is out!

Reply #11
Sheesh, didn't realise that.
I think threads older than 6 months should be closed unless they may be specifically updated by a developer.

Speex RC3 is out!

Reply #12
I think threads older than 6 months should be closed unless they may be specifically updated by a developer.

A really good idea, IMHO.

-Eugene
The  greatest  programming  project of all took six days;  on the seventh  day  the  programmer  rested.  We've been trying to debug the !@#$%&* thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.