Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Windows software for iPod
cbope
post Sep 12 2003, 11:23
Post #1

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 6424

Still doing some research on MP3 portables, and looking again at the latest gen iPod's. Is there any GOOD alternative to using MusicMatch to transfer music to an iPod? What about XPlay, is it any good? Other alternatives?

I'm also somewhat concerned if I would have to actually use MusicMatch to encode my MP3's, or is it only used for transferring already-encoded files? Of course I will (or will want to...) be encoding in Lame APS using 3.90.3 binaries.

And that brings me to another question I've been wondering about. I haven't done any listening tests, but I've been wondering what kind of quality I will get by transcoding MPC files (1.14 encoder) at quality 7 to MP3 in APS using Lame 3.90.3. Is this good enough for portable use? Or is there enough of a quality loss that I would be better off to re-encode from CD? I have decent quality Sennheiser MX-300 earbuds (and a set of Sony MDR-Q55SL's) which I will use with whatever portable I buy. And, that is the reason I haven't performed any listening tests... haven't got a portable to test with... B)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sthayashi
post Sep 12 2003, 13:46
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 5997

QUOTE (cbope @ Sep 12 2003, 02:23 AM)
And that brings me to another question I've been wondering about. I haven't done any listening tests, but I've been wondering what kind of quality I will get by transcoding MPC files (1.14 encoder) at quality 7 to MP3 in APS using Lame 3.90.3. Is this good enough for portable use? Or is there enough of a quality loss that I would be better off to re-encode from CD?

I'm not even going to answer your question, but I would encourage you to participate in the discussion (or lack thereof) to a very similar question that I asked.
Are you interested in a transcoding listening test?

I need feedback on test material so that such a test can be reasonably fair.
+Quote Post
/\/ephaestous
post Sep 12 2003, 18:00
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 3620

Sveta portable audio
EphPod

--------------------
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 11:43