Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dsp_continuator (Read 270834 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #150
This appears to be a most powerful and felixible component for foobar. I am a recent convert from Winamp. It's cool to see something so powerful also be so supported- If more developers were like Cpt. Footure, there'd be a lot more killer software out there.

I promise I am not an idiot!

But for the life of me, I cannot get the continuator to crossfade. Crossfade implies that two songs are playing at once, as one ends and the next begins, correct?

Is there any documentation for this?

Are there presets available, or a list of "working" settings so I can test it out?

I have been testing with different continuator settings and a bunch of different mp3's for over an hour- I actually had it fading out at one point (can't figure out how to get back to that point) but still never got it to crossfade.

Any help would really be appreciated!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327597"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi,
currently there's no documentation, but if i will find some time...

Getting Continuator to do crossfading is actually pretty easy (at least from my point of view ):
use the following settings to overlap two tracks by 20 sec, ie. new track starts 20s before end of old track
mode: crossfade
buffer length: 20000
crossfade length: 20000

now you can configure the fading curves and lengths which are independent from the crossfade length, eg. for a 5s fade-out and a 10s fade-in with linear curves:
fade-out curve: linear
fade-out length: 5000
fade-in curve: linear
fade-in length: 10000

maybe a little 'visualization' will help :
Code: [Select]
time ->
-------------------------------------------------------|                       old track
                                            |----------|                       fade-out
                |------------------------------------------------------------  new track
                |--------------------|                                         fade-in
                |--------------------------------------|                       crossfade

bye.

ps: as mentionend above i'm already working on a preset feature

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #151
Thx Lyx for the quote. But as the plugin pre-reads according to its buffer settings, what does prevent it from deciding from the original material and then performing its fading/not fading action?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327566"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi,
the problem is that you can only pre-read within one track and not across track boundaries. So you have to base your FADE-OUT decision on the material from the current track and you (me) only get to see the new track AFTER the old one has been processed.

Bye.

ps: right now i have decoupled the fade-out / fade-in lengths from the overlap length, before that i could only perform fading within the overlapping period. Maybe i can find a better way to handle it.

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #152
[removed]

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #153
Make sure that samplerates are identical - if necessary, add a resampler-DSP before continuator in the DSP-chain.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #154
[removed]

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #155
foo_dsp_continuator doesn't work on my notebook. It has a freshly installed Windows2000sp4 and a fresh fb2k installation.

If I visit the continuator settings in preferences foobar crashes: "[Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library] Abnormal program termination"

I used the dependency walker to see if all dlls are there. Yes. All modules are found (esp. msvcr71.dll and msvcp71.dll)

I have no idea why it doesn't work.

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #156
Cpt. Footure, do you want port continuator to 0.9?
Music is my first love.

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #157
Is anyone working on porting continuator to .9?  G-Lite did a great job porting track info and album art pannel.  Perhaps somone could solicit his assistance?

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #158
I too would love to see this one ported.  I may be willing to contribute a small donation or bounty to the one who does it.  I'll try to get ahold of Cpt. Footure first, since he's the one whe rightfully deserves it.

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #159
I too would love to see this one ported.  I may be willing to contribute a small donation or bounty to the one who does it.  I'll try to get ahold of Cpt. Footure first, since he's the one whe rightfully deserves it.

I'll add my two cents!

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #160

I'll add my two cents!

Same here! This is the single one component whose non-existence keeps me from uninstalling foobar2k 0.8.3
Nothing is impossible if you don't need to do it yourself.

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #161
Hi guys,
believe me, i'm really willing to port continuator to 0.9, it's just that i don't have time to do it. I don't even know how much work it would be, as i didn't have a look at the 0.9 SDK yet. I already offered to release the source code a (long) while ago but there seemed to be no interest back then. But i think now it's different and i'll upload the sources during this week.

bye.

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #162
Hi guys,
believe me, i'm really willing to port continuator to 0.9, it's just that i don't have time to do it. I don't even know how much work it would be, as i didn't have a look at the 0.9 SDK yet. I already offered to release the source code a (long) while ago but there seemed to be no interest back then. But i think now it's different and i'll upload the sources during this week.

bye.

Great!  Once you upload the source code, I know that there are a lot of people who are interested in porting continuator to .9, and I am sure someone will step up and port it.  Thanks and anxiously awaiting the source code.

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #163
I didn't know there was a crossfade alternative! And since crossfade hasn't been ported yet, I'd be happy to do this, actually.

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #164
I didn't know there was a crossfade alternative! And since crossfade hasn't been ported yet, I'd be happy to do this, actually.

This is not just an alternative. This is a glimpse of the Holy Grail of crossfading.

And as my beloved Dr. Klahn would say: You have our gratitude!
Nothing is impossible if you don't need to do it yourself.

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #165
Go Cpt. Footure & G-Lite! :-)
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #166
This is the last .9 component I'll need....Thanks G-Lite for taking it on!

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #167
I would certainly appreciate that G-Lite.  That's too bad Cpt. Footure is too busy, but yeah, let me know when it's working and I'll donate something for your efforts.

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #168
Capt. Footure & G-lite: while we're at it, would it be possible to port the Direct Sound 2.5 (foo_out_dsound_ex2) as well?  I know the good captain mentioned that he simply modified the original dsound 2 output: is that possible again with the new foobar?  It's the combo of those two plugs that makes for a truly seamless, musical crossfading environment.  I have one small suggestion that maybe could be incorporated: you'll find it near the end of this thread: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index...._out_dsound_ex2

Thanks and good luck.

ears

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #169
[Delete Me]

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #171
[deleted]

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #172
Ooh... I actually didn't realize that output in foobar 0.9 didn't have crossfading.  I too would like to see that one implemented, but for now, continuator is much more important.

When I use foobar2000 to DJ (playing background music, et al), continuator keeps the music going seamlessly, and the directsound 2 crossfading allows me to switch tracks and stuff in a way that sounds very smooth and natural, as if I were actually crossfading in a mixer.

(So that's my big secret... I use it when I'm too lazy to DJ for real  )

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #173
Thanks for the sources. A couple of questions.

You seem to make use of XML to write what used to be a xml config file. However, that code doesn't seem to be used anymore. I get the feeling this used to be legacy code. If so, can we remove the entire XML parsing support from the code (and eliminate the need for IE5)?

You use a play_callback object to get notified when a seek occurs, but it no longer seems to be necessary. Is there some debug code that was removed (which needs to know when the track is seeking)?

foo_dsp_continuator

Reply #174
Here's a direct port of the plugin, consider it beta:
http://stephan.kochen.nl/proj/foobar2000.html#continuator

Technical note: taking care of the foobar related stuff was easy, but I encountered some STL errors related to vector iterators. There might be some more I haven't bumped into yet, but the plugin is working in both modes from what I've tested so far. Visual C++ 2005 has gotten alot more strict regarding STL.

This thing is also not using the preset interface yet. But it should work well enough for playback purposes.