Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/ (Read 396312 times) previous topic - next topic

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #375
Still no-one that has ever been able to pick out a ripped DVD-A from a ripped DVD-A properly converted to 44.1/16?

-k

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #376
Well if you had any knowledge, experience or indeed any valid opinion whatsoever on this subject you'd be well aware that this is not possible yet. Have you ever actually heard a combination of equipment like this in real life? Have you ever tried using that ridiculous cabinet simulation equipment, or VST valve emulators?

Well I have a lot of knowledge, experience, and if there is a "valid opinion" on this planet I'm one of them, and yes, it is possible. It takes more processing than most people imagine (and by the way, LTI is not the approach taken, either, but you start by oversampling by 4 or 8...).

I don't quite understand your hostility. You might expect some people to be annoyed when you barge in and say a collection of inaccurate things.

Of course we can't 'hear' above 22k.. we all agree that bit depths above 15 or 16 become hard(er) to differentiate.. Science and good mearuring has proved as much.. but just because we can't hear them, doesn't mean that frequencies greater than 22k or lower that 18 Hz aren't playing their part in the 'experience'...

How does something that nobody can detect, ever, in a decently designed test, affect anything?

You're arguing for something that looks frankly parapsychological. If it affects the person in any way, it will show up in a decently designed test.

If you've ever run such a test, you will know just how annoyingly true that is, how hard it is to keep influences OUT of a test, even when you know about them and want to exclude them.

Those of us who have run extensive well-designed blind tests (not all DBT, some were computer-administered and were effectively DBT, some were signal detection, etc) have quite a bit of experience in detecting things like "was the door shut all the way".

Any bit of any information, via any sensory modality, will creep in if you're not careful to avoid it. If ultrasonics were affecting someone in any way, you'd see it in the test results. "Hearing" is not required.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #377
If the topic is not closed, either we keep on topic, or continue this nonsense.

The discussion is about the need,  *for listening pleasure* , of high resolution formats, (currently namely DVD-A and SACD, but extendable to higher sampling rates/bitdepths in general).

To this point,

A) The "look" of the waveform does not correlate to what a DAC outputs, so "the 96Khz is more similar to the analog counterpart" points is useless. Anyone is free to show me a 1Khz sine at 44Khz samplerate being worse than 1Khz sine at 96Khz, being both DAC's of the same quality, and having no resampling issues. (1Khz square wave is out of the question, for obvious reasons).

B) It doesn't really matter if i can simulate an electric guitar, or a microwave heating my milk. We are talking about reproduction of recorded material, and how the sampling Rate/bitdepth affects it.

C) Hardware will definitely play a role into differentiating a high resolution format from standard CD Audio, but only because most hardware today is made to play audio in the "Human range", which is quite near to the CD Audio standard.  Then, a blind test is needed, else, we are just blindly *believeing*.

Let me say it again... We, at Hydrogenaudio, *only* care about what is audible, and verifiable.

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #378

Of course we can't 'hear' above 22k.. we all agree that bit depths above 15 or 16 become hard(er) to differentiate.. Science and good mearuring has proved as much.. but just because we can't hear them, doesn't mean that frequencies greater than 22k or lower that 18 Hz aren't playing their part in the 'experience'...

How does something that nobody can detect, ever, in a decently designed test, affect anything?

You're arguing for something that looks frankly parapsychological. If it affects the person in any way, it will show up in a decently designed test.

The point made is that 44/16 is fine, discussion dead, about 10 page ago, and now moving to a discussion away from the benefits of doubling rate/depth into a broader discussion on recording and replaying experiences. PKI simply isn't nearly as good at explaining himself as 2Bdecided. But his assertion is also rather pointless - it's that anything that affects your psychological state will color your perception of sound, which should be self-evident, since listening is a function of the brain and not just the ears. Anyone who's listened to a song while mopey and later while distracted and irritated could tell you that.

I'm totally with those who feel this is not the thread to be discussing this, the original topic has long run its course. And without some better science, probably not the forum to be discussing it. I'm personally interested in more science behind immersive music reproduction (beyond "crank it to 11" and "add two more channels"), though, if someone will start a new thread.

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #379
I'm totally with those who feel this is not the thread to be discussing this, the original topic has long run its course. And without some better science, probably not the forum to be discussing it. I'm personally interested in more science behind immersive music reproduction (beyond "crank it to 11" and "add two more channels"), though, if someone will start a new thread.

Thought experiment:
Is there some way to do comparisions between actually being in a soundfield, and reproducing that soundfield using PCM audio and binaural reproduction?

If PCM and AD/DA technology can outperform our 1-dimensional hearing capabilities, and we only have two ears that can be properly stimulated using headphones... How can one practically put a person into a live concert hall, let him hear live music, then playback music recorded in the same spot using binaural tech, and do some kind of ABX?

-k

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #380
Well I have a lot of knowledge, experience, and if there is a "valid opinion" on this planet I'm one of them, and yes, it is possible. It takes more processing than most people imagine (and by the way, LTI is not the approach taken, either, but you start by oversampling by 4 or 8...).

I don't quite understand your hostility. You might expect some people to be annoyed when you barge in and say a collection of inaccurate things.

Interesting.....

Firstly I based my opinion on the number of experiments i have done in hardware and software emulation. I've never even come close to the aforementioned guitar "heaven" without using cables, and valves that have been nicely warmed up. Please note that I said it's not possible _yet_ and I stand by my comment, until i have seen evidence of anything else.

Which brings me to the question - have you abxed the two? recorded a riff through your cab and head, and abxed it with the emulated equivalent? could it be done? and if so, have you got an yresults anywhere? I amn highly intersted in this area, and would dearly love to be proven wrong.

My hostility was because a certain user was downright rude, and patronising. In a personal social situation his address to me would have caused a conflict without question, when if you read my posts it was not deserved. I had already addressed my "inaccurate" comments, and admitted that it was a poor analogy anyway.

Hence the Godwins moment as well.

Moving on however....and back on topic...can you use some of these samples of emulated speaker cabs and abx those between 44/16 and 96/24 and see if you can tell the difference - has anyone tried doing this yet?

I'm not convinced I have many samples (if any) that are worth trying to abx between these frequencies. I might ask my friend to record some seriously expensive kit at 96/24 (he has logic audio and nice equipment) through a nice expensive mike, and perhaps i could post it up for an abxing experiment.

It wont answer the BIG question of whether the emulation sounds as good (one which will likely forever continue as per CD/vinyl debate), but it might shed new light on the practicality of 44/16 vs 96/24.

M<ore importantly can you post up a sample of the emulation as it currently stands so i can have a listen , and form a wholly unscientific thought in woo about it?   

I like living in woo......I'm roadieing at lark in the park in london in 2 weeks, where I can woo all day long.
Gone.

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #381
Which brings me to the question - have you abxed the two? recorded a riff through your cab and head, and abxed it with the emulated equivalent?

Do you really think you can play the riff the same way, exactly, to permit this test?

I doubt it.

That aside, yes, I have seen good emulators, but I frankly don't care a lot about that, because it's irrelevant to the question in the OP. You're asking a question of how to model things that are far, far above audible thresholds. The question in the OP is at best at audible threshold.  Different problem, different question.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #382
PKI simply isn't nearly as good at explaining himself as 2Bdecided.

Harsh. But that's because I'm trying to put across cognitive & behavioural concepts I'm not entirely familiar with into a scientific debate that I am familiar with...

The problem we have here is that;

We, at Hydrogenaudio, *only* care about what is audible, and verifiable.

This rules out any more 'what if' debate then..

Edited: Correct quote box error.

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #383
Why mix guitar amp rigs into this discussion?

The subjectively "best" electric guitar 12" speaker cabinets start to rolloff above 12kHz, and the most common microphone used for this application is the Shure sm-57 with very limited hf response.

Moreover the SNR of most speaker setups is low enough that 24 bits recording presicion would be a waste.

24bits may however have valid use if one is to simulate tube distortion on the dry electric guitar signal due to the gain used in the simulation.

There is no doubt in my mind that inaccurate simulation of such instruments is due to algorithmic problems and lack of processing power, not the DAC converters used. Also, when doing non-blind testing, one really is testing more than the pure audio capabilities.

-k

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #384
24bits may however have valid use if one is to simulate tube distortion on the dry electric guitar signal due to the gain used in the simulation.

Just adding that:
Digital signal processing with software is done, at least, with 32bits floating point precision, if not 64bits (double precision). Hardware is a different story, but floating point processors are appearing more and more on these too (no longer limited to integer arithmetics).

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #385

We, at Hydrogenaudio, *only* care about what is audible, and verifiable.

This rules out any more 'what if' debate then..

Edited: Correct quote box error.

If I understand the rules correctly, you are free to suggest _possible_ mechanisms as long as you dont state them as a fact? Moreover, you are free to discuss mothods of verifying audible differences.

If I cannot pick out a hirez sample from a downconverted lorez sample in a blind test using a verified playback chain.... What is your explanation for this? How do you suggest that I test to maximise the chance of me noticing any difference at all?

If the difference can be "felt" but not heard, why cant I "feel" it in a blind-test? What is it about regular listening that suddenly makes me sensitive to feeling such high frequencies?

regards
k

' date='Jan 14 2007, 17:46' post='464121']

Just adding that:
Digital signal processing with software is done, at least, with 32bits floating point precision, if not 64bits (double precision). Hardware is a different story, but floating point processors are appearing more and more on these too (no longer limited to integer arithmetics).

The internalt precision of a DSP may be du to the specific design of algorithms to avoid accumulating errors. By careful algorithmic design, one may be able to work around limited internal precision. Of course this is tedious work, so everyone prefers being able to consider multiplications as "infinite precision".

I was talking about the need to capture the source with as much precision as possible due to digital gainstages of perhaps 40dB attenuation.

A subtle difference I believe.

-k

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #386
My hostility was because a certain user was downright rude, and patronising. In a personal social situation his address to me would have caused a conflict without question, when if you read my posts it was not deserved. I had already addressed my "inaccurate" comments, and admitted that it was a poor analogy anyway.

This certain user has seen arguments just like yours ad nauseam on audio forums.  They aren't new.  They aren't fresh.  They tend to rely heavily on subjective impressions gathered in bias-prone situations, and often veer off into demisequiturs like the guitar gear sim thing.  They are perennial outcroppings of the dominant paradigm of subjectivist audiophile culture. HA.org's is the *minority view* in audiophile-land -- a bizarre land whose inhabitants sadly include more than a few audio/sound professionals with an apparent suspicion of scientific methods.

That you'd present such arguments as they were news here on HA.org, given its rather explicit TOS and history of threads about hi rez formats, sampling rates, blind tests -- and present them in the Scientific/R&D subforum no less --  might itself be interpreted as an aggressive act, perhaps even rude and patronizing...a suspicion supported by your subsequent Mel Gibson moment.  It was by me.

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #387
That you'd present such arguments as they were news here on HA.org, given its rather explicit TOS and history of threads about hi rez formats, sampling rates, blind tests -- and present them in the Scientific/R&D subforum no less --  might itself be interpreted as an aggressive act, perhaps even rude and patronizing...a suspicion supported by your subsequent Mel Gibson moment.  It was by me.

I suggested that the sound samples we all have available aren't truly representative of the sounds they were recording, and that if they were better one day - perhaps 96/24 would come into its own.

That is not aggressive, rude or patronising, and to suggest it is, somehow because you're opinion is a minority in a scene I know nothing of, is the audio technological equivalent of "is it cos I is black"?

you seem so blindly committed to the direction of your scientific research, that it is no longer scientific research. "lets find a way to prove what i already believe" is not science.

I made a fair suggestion, that is all....to expand the research before you draw your conclusion.

Anyways.....I don't care anymore. I still think we should just use 96/24 anyhow - we've got plenty of space on our media. But thats for another thread, on another forum.
Gone.

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #388
To summarize crimsontide's post, with my own spin:

Unless you are an audiologist who has found new, concrete evidence of ultrasonic audibility, which is peer-reviewed, do not post in this thread.

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #389
I play the Hammond organ, and I can tell you that it is a great experience. It weighs about 200kg, makes all kinds of noises and smells like old sewing machine oil and hot tubes. Oh, and you need a loan as well as hefty, frequent repairs. No digital simulator has ever given me the same feeling as playing the Hammond organ. Does this mean that those simulators cannot recreate the sound with sufficient accuracy for my ears and abilities? Does that mean that Nyquist, Shannon, ABX etc is all B.S.?
What's playing got to do with sampling rate or sampling bitdepth?

You're not only comparing apples to oranges. You're comparing apples to ladybugs, which are not only different kinds of fruits, heck one is not even a fruit!

Your satisfaction of playing a real Hammond obviously cannot be replaced by playing a digital keyboard. BUT, record the Hammond you played, and record the digital keyboard capable of reproducing the Hammond's sound exactly... AND LISTEN to them, using ABX. Now that's comparing apple to apple.

One could argue that the smell and looks of an instrument never appears on a record and therefore are "luxury" stuff.
Exactly.

On the other hand, the musician will probably perform differently if he is satisfied with the sound (even if it is all in his head), and that will most certainly change what is recorded.
Which means that it will be easily ABX-able, no?

Take me, playing a piano hesitantly. The notes will sound hesitant, as I do not dare to bang the keys with too much force for fearing I'd make a mistake. Then get Harry Connick Jr. or Barry Manilow to bang out a tune on the piano. And they don't fear a mistake and you'll hear the keys more distinct, more... fortissimo.

But they're easily ABX-able.

In much the same way, the listener experience in practical hifi is intertwined with sound, vision, knowledge etc.
So if we want to limit the scope to whether higher sampling rate and/or higher bitdepths affect the sound quality, we must remove all those variables.

So why would we want to tell a hifi-listener that his experience is based on superstition and that he cant hear anything at below -80dBFs, or above 22kHz? I feel no need for doing this, but I think that when discussing these matters it is important to get the facts as right as possible.
No, we don't say that his experience is based on superstition, but too often the hifi-listener "thought" that he/she hears a difference. Sometimes using strong words like "it lost its warmth, the stereo separation collapses, blah blah blah". While in fact there is no difference whatsoever between the first and the second tracks (i.e. the tester purposefully did not switch input, but just faked switching).

That's bias. That's placebo. And ABX will remove that bias/placebo.

For the most important facets of life, "subjectivity" is probably highly beneficial and necessary to lead a good life and have offspring.
So why do we have SAT's, GRE's, entrance exams, Cisco Certification Exams, Microsoft Certification Exams, etc?

Because maybe to have a good life and have offsprings one needs to be subjective; but to progress and excel one need, one must, be objective and measurable.

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #390
I play the Hammond organ, and I can tell you that it is a great experience. It weighs about 200kg, makes all kinds of noises and smells like old sewing machine oil and hot tubes. Oh, and you need a loan as well as hefty, frequent repairs. No digital simulator has ever given me the same feeling as playing the Hammond organ. Does this mean that those simulators cannot recreate the sound with sufficient accuracy for my ears and abilities? Does that mean that Nyquist, Shannon, ABX etc is all B.S.?
What's playing got to do with sampling rate or sampling bitdepth?

You're not only comparing apples to oranges. You're comparing apples to ladybugs, which are not only different kinds of fruits, heck one is not even a fruit!

Your satisfaction of playing a real Hammond obviously cannot be replaced by playing a digital keyboard. BUT, record the Hammond you played, and record the digital keyboard capable of reproducing the Hammond's sound exactly... AND LISTEN to them, using ABX. Now that's comparing apple to apple.

If you read my post once more, I think you will find that I was trying to make a point. Hint: I was not argueing for higher sampling rates or bit-depths...

My point was exactly that people bring all kinds of other mechanisms into the discussion to proveobscure points about how "magic" the hifi experience is. My point is that there are many music-related processes that are complex, but the simple operation of replaying a digitized waveform can be investigated in a perceptual fashion quite easily.

-k

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #391
I suggested that the sound samples we all have available aren't truly representative of the sounds they were recording,

Indeed they are not, there is a huge quantity of spatial information and soundfield information that is lost when something is reduced to either 2 or 5 channels.
and that if they were better one day - perhaps 96/24 would come into its own.

So, why use twice the data in a way that is well understood and known to be very close to threshold if not below it, when you could double the number of channels, and attack a known problem?
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #392
I actually think it would be very cool if the hearing was proven to be more than the scientists have proven so far. Interesting. But as long as the alternative/subjectivist camp is incapable of providing coherent lines of thought that would pass the scruitiny of a 5-year-old, I suspect that any such revelations will appear from elsewhere.

This is sad because it is always more interesting to discuss with smart people than angry people, even if you disagree on everthing.

-k

And, if such were discovered, it would provide new avenues for research that is pretty much settled on an understanding of how the Human Auditory System works.

If PCM and AD/DA technology can outperform our 1-dimensional hearing capabilities, and we only have two ears that can be properly stimulated using headphones... How can one practically put a person into a live concert hall, let him hear live music, then playback music recorded in the same spot using binaural tech, and do some kind of ABX?

-k

Some things to consider. 

Ears/heads/bodies have HRTF's. So they are not "1-dimensional" in very real ways.

We have two ears. They move around a lot.

If you do a binaural recording, the playback head position will not match the recording head position.

When you move around, you sample a lot of the soundfield around you. Next time you're in a non-rock, mostly acoustic concert, watch people's heads, watch how they hold them, move them, hold their bodies, etc.

Try it yourself. Watch what happens when instruments change, even with the same mono'ed PA.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #393

So, why use twice the data in a way that is well understood and known to be very close to threshold if not below it, when you could double the number of channels, and attack a known problem?

To add to this, I don't care if you model a guitar and amp combination using 192/48.  When it comes to playing it back, 44/16 will not sound any poorer than "hi-rez" ESPECIALLY with a precious PRS through an over-driven Marshall.

I too have been playing guitar for a very long time and have some very nice equipment, just as good as anything you'll get from a roadie from Genesis, I assure you.  This does not give me any more or any less credibility when it comes to discussing things in this thread that are actually ON-TOPIC.

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #394

-k

Some things to consider. 

Ears/heads/bodies have HRTF's. So they are not "1-dimensional" in very real ways.

We have two ears. They move around a lot.

If you do a binaural recording, the playback head position will not match the recording head position.

When you move around, you sample a lot of the soundfield around you. Next time you're in a non-rock, mostly acoustic concert, watch people's heads, watch how they hold them, move them, hold their bodies, etc.

Try it yourself. Watch what happens when instruments change, even with the same mono'ed PA.

Well, at the entry-point to the ear they are one-dimensional. The movement in 3d space, interactions with body etc are of course as 3d as sound itself.

A proper 2x 1-dimensional headphone, fed the right signal, should be enough to simulate any physical soundspace that we may encounter except sound traveling through our body.

I still think that it would be a fascinating experiment to try to recreate the in-room sound.... well... in-room :-) Even if the user was forced to not move, and one had to modell his exact body and head physically.

I think that binaural sound is a highly underestimated way of simulating reality. I am aware that there is considerable research in synthesizing binaural sound (from eg movement sensors), calibrating real head vs artificial head differences (from pictures) etc.

-k

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #395
Well, at the entry-point to the ear they are one-dimensional. The movement in 3d space, interactions with body etc are of course as 3d as sound itself.

And you move around.
A proper 2x 1-dimensional headphone, fed the right signal, should be enough to simulate any physical soundspace that we may encounter except sound traveling through our body.

Except that your head moves around. The "headphone" would have to capture that from a very complex original source. There are some examples of this, they are presently a wee bit complex.

And you'd have to have a lot of information about the original soundfield, not two channels.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #396

To add to this, I don't care if you model a guitar and amp combination using 192/48.  When it comes to playing it back, 44/16 will not sound any poorer than "hi-rez" ESPECIALLY with a precious PRS through an over-driven Marshall.

I too have been playing guitar for a very long time and have some very nice equipment, just as good as anything you'll get from a roadie from Genesis, I assure you.  This does not give me any more or any less credibility when it comes to discussing things in this thread that are actually ON-TOPIC.

I made a postulation. There is no evidence. Thats why its a postulation. But it's still a part of science - without postulation you can't define a range for your samples. You have to do further tests to discern if there _is_ any evidence. The tests i have seen being done have not imho been conclusive or varied enough to draw a solid conclusion as yet. IF you read back inthe thread you'll see that I have abxed some samples, and i did conclude that i could not tell the difference, and now I'm suggesting a couple of reasons why more research should be done.  I'm not challenging anyone or any person, just the samples used, and potentially the equipment used to abx them.....(but then thats also another thread).

My subject matter is actually on topic - sure I went off a bit to demonstrate why i think the conclusion you (collective) seem to have drawn may not be valid (in the long run), but my reasons were always on topic. I'm sorry I poked holes in your baby. You may not be able to see their faults, but they are there.

Your response has ignored my suggestion about microphones and recording methods developing, for example - providing no evidence. Would you be so short sighted to think they (mics and recording techniques) are as good as they will ever be? That is not the case.....I can assure you from life experience.

I agree with the idea about adding more channels instead of bitrate and depth though - can't argue with that....but then its already been done, and lets be honest, the live CD doesnt sound as good as the 5.1AC3 soundtrack on the DVD - probably due to immersion from 3 dimensional sources.

BUT has anyone abxed the CD versus the AC3 file, after mixing them both down/up to 96/24 stereo?

Suggest fleetwood mac - the dance live. I dont have the DVD anymore, i lost it.
Gone.

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #397

Except that your head moves around. The "headphone" would have to capture that from a very complex original source. There are some examples of this, they are presently a wee bit complex.

And you'd have to have a lot of information about the original soundfield, not two channels.

But knutinh was suggesting a kind of ABX, and how you'd do it - not a practical recording idea.

Clamp the listener's head. Use in-ear microphones to record the content (captures the listener's HRTFs), and in-ear headphones to replay it.

You can't do a blind test, never mind ABX - you need the in-ear headphones present to hear the recorded version, but absent to hear the live version.

However, even a sighted comparison would be interesting. I suggest it will tell you nothing about the parameters of the recording (44.1kHz is probably enough) but lots about the transducers (which will be near impossible to get right).

You're right about the sound field of course. That's where we should be going. To think Michael Gerzon was doing this stuff 30 years ago - how little we learn!

Cheers,
David.

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #398
I'm sorry I poked holes in your baby.

Show me evidence of that, please. I haven't seen anything relevant from you to speak of, only a huge misunderstanding of what kinds of effects are near or below audible thresholds, and what kinds of effects are way, way above audible threasholds, and an even bigger failure from you to understand why comparing something in your hands, that you feel, smell, etc, with something that you only experience from a two-channel recording is just silly. Of course that's different. It says nothing about 24/192 or anything of the sort.

To think Michael Gerzon was doing this stuff 30 years ago - how little we learn!

Cheers,
David.

However, he only captured the details of the soundfield at one point in the soundfield. This is where some other approaches differ with his.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz/

Reply #399
Quick update.

I am replying to the original question: "Why 24bit/48kHz/96kHz".

A few weeks ago I visited a member of another forum and as a sort of sanity check I played a sweep at -89 dBFS. Normally it stays silent, meaning that 16 bits is enough. But in his case I could hear a very small fraction of the sweep. That was because of the quite large playback level. We could not talk with each other when listening to his set. Funny thing was that he could not hear a thing of the sweep.

Conclusion: at normal levels, 16 bits is enough.

Regards,
Jacco
Logical reasoning brings you from a to b, imagination brings you everywhere.