Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WAV 24bit stereo 44.1khz to WMA Lossless 24bit stereo 44.1khz (Read 13025 times) previous topic - next topic

WAV 24bit stereo 44.1khz to WMA Lossless 24bit stereo 44.1khz

So I have a WAV 24bit stereo 44.1khz file that I want to convert to WMA Lossless 24bit stereo 44.1khz (basically just change the format, no change to quality or anything), the problem is when I finish converting the file the new WMA Lossless file is only 16bit even though I specifically ask for 24bit in the encoder settings of various sound converters, does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Reply #1
What encoder are you using? CUETools.Converter seems to work fine for 24-bit stereo.
CUETools 2.1.6

Reply #2
I'm not sure, the converters I've used such as Switch Sound File Converter and Mediamonkey which actually manage to output a WMA Lossless file don't say what encoders they use, only allow you to change the settings in them and other converters are too complicated for me to configure or don't have support for WMA lossless. I'm currently using audiocoder which looks promising although I can't seem to work out how to configure it to output WMA lossless, not even sure if it can.

Reply #3
Does it have to be WMA lossless?

Reply #4
Does it have to be WMA lossless?

I use WMA lossless as I only use Windows Media Player as my music player, I'm not into 3rd party media players as far as building a music library is concerned. I know this topic is going to hear the word FLAC so many times and if Microsoft supported it then I would convert my entire library to FLAC, but since I've used WMP since way before admiring lossless audio and pretty much know my way around it then I don't mind having my lossless material in WMA Lossless, it also makes it easier when it comes to tagging through Windows explorer.

Reply #5
I use WMA lossless as I only use Windows Media Player as my music player, I'm not into 3rd party media players as far as building a music library is concerned. I know this topic is going to hear the word FLAC so many times and if Microsoft supported it then I would convert my entire library to FLAC, but since I've used WMP since way before admiring lossless audio and pretty much know my way around it then I don't mind having my lossless material in WMA Lossless, it also makes it easier when it comes to tagging through Windows explorer.

Well, you can install this in order to make Windows natively support FLAC, OGG and others. And for tagging and sorting your library within Windows Media Player, have a look at WMP Tag Plus. 

Reply #7
Winamp is able to encode to WMAL.

Reply #8

Well, you can install this in order to make Windows natively support FLAC, OGG and others. And for tagging and sorting your library within Windows Media Player, have a look at WMP Tag Plus. 

I've had problems using FLAC codecs and tag support messing up my explorer.exe and bogging my system down in the past, it's one of the reasons I frown upon FLAC, like I said though, if Microsoft would integrated official support then I would use the format.

Have you tried Windows Expression Encoder?
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/research/archive/2...-wma-files.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/de...s.aspx?id=27870

Sweet! That worked fine, thanks for the suggestion, the file is finally being output at 24bit Stereo 44.1khz and are the right file size.

Reply #9
I've had problems using FLAC codecs and tag support messing up my explorer.exe and bogging my system down in the past, it's one of the reasons I frown upon FLAC, like I said though, if Microsoft would integrated official support then I would use the format.

Neither the Xiph.org codecs or WMP Tag Plus integrate into Explorer, so you definitely shouldn't see any issues there. If you see any other issues then please let me know  (I'm the author of WMP Tag Plus).

I also think that you shouldn't just drop the FLAC format altogether because of some (old?) instable codecs/plug-ins.

Reply #11
What about them? I don't understand what you're getting at.

Reply #12
I've had problems using FLAC codecs and tag support messing up my explorer.exe and bogging my system down

Reply #13
Have you tried Windows Expression Encoder?
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/research/archive/2...-wma-files.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/de...s.aspx?id=27870

I was looking into this for other reasons, when I try to install it it asks for an activation code but on MS's web site it appears to be free w/ no indication of how to get activation code or what it costs... what am I doing wrong?  (or is M$ screwed up again?)

to the OP - making WMP work with FLAC is the easier way by far, two downloads and Bob's your uncle.

Unfortunately making the stock in-car entertainment in a recent model BMW recognize a lossless format other than WMA is more difficult which is why I'm asking the questions that I am.

Reply #15
Yes, and tolerance of ID3 by parsing programs is a bonus when it does exist and should not be expected.
What kinds of tags does FLAC support?

FLAC has it's own native tagging system which is identical to that of Vorbis. They are called alternately "FLAC tags" and "Vorbis comments". It is the only tagging system required and guaranteed to be supported by FLAC implementations.

Out of convenience, the reference decoder knows how to skip ID3 tags so that they don't interfere with decoding. But you should not expect any tags beside FLAC tags to be supported in applications; some implementations may not even be able to decode a FLAC file with ID3 tags.

Reply #16
I thought FLAC used Vorbis not ID3?

...yet EAC and dBpoweramp will happily write ID3 to them anyway.