Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows7 shell integration addon (Read 35571 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows7 shell integration addon

w7shell 0.2.5.1 (foo_w7shell.dll)
v. 0.2.5.1

To find a download link, copy n paste paste this into Google's search box (including the quotes): "w7shell 0.2.5.1 (foo_w7shell.dll)"

This is not my addon, all due credit goes to the original creator.

Reply #1
Looks awesome! If you have a cover for the song, does it appear instead of the black square with that note?

Reply #2
Looks awesome! If you have a cover for the song, does it appear instead of the black square with that note?

yes, if the song playing has got an album cover it will be displayed 

Reply #3
Thank you!  I'm trying out now

Reply #4
Moderators don't like such plugins (as violating SDK, though this plugin doesn't use any dirty subclassing, just legal callbacks) here, so I decided not to publish it.

Please note that current public version (0.2.5.1) has issues with OS backward compatibility, so don't even mind to include it into any custom packs.
Also note that Win7 build 7032 already has some changes in DWM (compared to 7000), so behavior in newer builds may differ from expected.

Reply #5
Moderators don't like such plugins (as violating SDK, though this plugin doesn't use any dirty subclassing, just legal callbacks) here, so I decided not to publish it.
"Such plugins" is a bit misleading. Window procedure hooks are evil, message_filter is OK. (If it wasn't, this topic would be long gone.)
A problem can rather arise for example because the callback doesn't work in modal message loops, or when this functionality gets added to the core or UI(s).
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #6
Window procedure hooks are evil, message_filter is OK.

How do you check this when approving or denying plugins (assuming closed sources)? Just curious.
Any special tool to ensure window proc address was not changed since startup?

P.S. w7shell uses message_filter, of cource

Reply #7
Well, seeing if window procedure has changed during runtime is the easy way, however I for one don't want to run random components just to do things like that. Knowing "this can't be done without messing with the main window" is a cue, then seeing imports like SetWindowLong(GWL_WNDPROC) can be good enough proof. I've also heard there are some people with too much time on their hands and leet skills in passive analysis of malicious code, so don't worry, no dirty secrets will be left unexposed.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #8
Thank you for this component. Now my favourite music player integrates very nicely in Windows7 RC!

It works really well and I can only think of one feature request:
Would it be possible to to inegrate the progressbar in the taskbar icon? (The same way basically as internet explorer downloads or imgburn progress is shown on the taskbar icon. Via a greenish progressmeter in the iconoverlay)
This would, in my opinion, fit the integration even more!

<update>
I found an answer on the devlopers homepage to the exact same question.
...it’s possible (and very easy), but I won’t do it. For playback it would be just useless annoying animation in taskbar.
It’d be useful for converter, I wanted to do this, but Peter said there’s no any converter callbacks...

Reply #9
Has anyone noticed that installing the Last.fm plugin causes the album art and seek bar to disappear from the thumbnail preview?
Perhaps it was just coincidence on my end...
Can anyone shed light on this issue?

Reply #10
Wtf? It randomly came back after messing with hot-key settings.

Reply #11
this is fantastic. working flawlessly on build 7100. it even replaces the window thumbnail in alt-tab with the current album's cover art

many thanks to the poster and to the developer for this useful plugin!

Reply #12
it even replaces the window thumbnail in alt-tab with the current album's cover art

...but it removes completely foobar from the win-tab, which I use a lot more. :/

Reply #13
Wow,
this component is really fantistic. 
I love it a lot!

Reply #14
nvm can't reproduce anymore..

Reply #15
foo_w7shell 0.2.8.0 is out
  • Options to enable Filp3D and/or Aero Peek back (a bit buggy thing, but people wanted it)
  • Some minor changes

Reply #18
FANTASTIC.

Reply #19
Personally I would find a taskbar progress indicator for foobar progress tasks, like replay gaining, converting, etc, a better option. But if I understood it correct it is not possible with the current SDK.
If you look at wmp for example. It also doesnt show progress indicator for track progress, I believe it was not intended for this purpose. Good thing its possible to disable it.

Reply #20
I agree with scidd0w here about the progress indicator. Nice plugin! But finally I'm not sure if I really need the Windows 7 taskbar goodies, they turn out to be nice, but not too useful. Basically, all your workflow is still the same as it started with Windows 95.

Reply #21
Nice component. I have a few requests to make it a great component

- User-definable playlist that should show in jumplist
- Custom icons for each playlist
- Custom commands (instead of hardcoded Play+Preferences) incl. custom icon support
- Customizable peek-buttons incl icons
- User-definable path for covers
- Customizable taskbar-icon states.
- Customizable foobar taskbar-icon (if possible)
- Ability to export all those customizable settings

Bugs:
- Pressing "Preferences" doesn't automatically focus foobar
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #22
I can't get this to work properly at all. I get some buttons, but that's all. How do I get it to display artwork? Most of my albums have a folder.jpg image for the cover but nothing shows up.