Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC Checksum off (Read 11540 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC Checksum off

I'm sorry if this has previously been asked, but I was unable to find anything pertaining to it.

I encoded a WAV into FLAC and calculated the MD5 for each and converted it back.  Both WAV files had the same checksum, but when I did --show-md5sum it gave me a compltely different value, that value didnt match the FLAC or the WAV.

If the result of the --show-md5sum is supposed to be different what is that hash calculated from?

Thanks,
Pete

FLAC Checksum off

Reply #1
Would you like to give some more informations regarding your software?

FLAC Checksum off

Reply #2
Would you like to give some more informations regarding your software?

I encoded it originally with the Convert To in foobar and decoded it the same way.  I did it again with Flac front end and got the same results.  The checksum was created with Hash Tab and wxChecksums and both of those came out the same.

FLAC Checksum off

Reply #3
I think it's derived from the raw PCM data, not the full .wav file. Anyway, if the FLAC file's md5sum (visible by using metaflac) stays the same, then there's nothing to worry about.

FLAC Checksum off

Reply #4
http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation.html says:
"Also included in the STREAMINFO block is the MD5 signature of the unencoded audio data."

So
--show-md5sum (.flac) != md5 (.wav)
but:
--show-md5sum (.flac) == md5 (.raw)

.raw is audio data only.. no headers, no riff chunks..
(.raw = .wav - nonAudioData)

on my machine, flac.exe decodes to .raw via
flac -d --force-raw-format --sign=signed --endian=little <flac-file>

FLAC Checksum off

Reply #5
MD5 checksum calculation is unambiguous, but the layout of the data is NOT. So it matters how the data is layed out. I am referring to the various endianess schemes for example.

Triza

FLAC Checksum off

Reply #6
Thanks for clarifying it, it wasnt making any sense