Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DeaDBeeF player 0.4.2 is available (Read 23453 times) previous topic - next topic

DeaDBeeF player 0.4.2 is available

I have been contributing a little bit to this nice player, and it now has full support for WavPack on Linux:
  • cue sheets
  • ReplayGain
  • all integer and float data types
  • multichannel
  • correction files
  • embedded cover art

[changes] [download]

Thanks, Alexey! 

David

Reply #1
Nice, will give it a spin on Maverick Meerkat.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #2
Thanx alot. I recently started using Linux on my desktop, and while I like some things better than Windows what is really lacking is a good audio player. Despite the many options available, nothing comes close to foobar2000.
Blubb

Reply #3
Deadbeef, Exaile, Clementine, Banshee, Audacious...

It's awesome to see that there is a lot of competition between great media players on Linux again. A few years ago, Amarok was the only one with this level of features.

Thanx alot. I recently started using Linux on my desktop, and while I like some things better than Windows what is really lacking is a good audio player. Despite the many options available, nothing comes close to foobar2000.

I totally agree with you, but I still have hope that in a few years, we will have a great, open source and multiplatform audio player to replace foobar2000.
Opus 96 kb/s (Android) / Vorbis -q5 (PC) / WavPack -hhx6m (Archive)

Reply #4
I still have hope that in a few years, we will have a great, open source and multiplatform audio player to replace foobar2000.

In a sort of sarcastic tone: People should stop buying anything iApple for that to happen.
(the "multiplatform" part is self-evident why Apple is against it,
next, open-source is only endorsed by Apple when Apple directly benefits from it (Webkit, BSD,...),
and the "great audio-player" part...  The moment it starts being important, it may get a "duplicates an OS feature" tag.)

Reply #5

If you are not satisfied with any of the *nix players then foobar2000 works almost perfectly well under recent Wine. I've tested with standard GUI and lots of plugins. Converter as well (you need the windows versions of the commandline encoders for that, available from Rarewares and others). The only thing I found that don't work are CD player, that simply don't work, and the context menu option "open containing folder" that crashes the player. Otherwise it's fine...
As *nix players goes aqualung and deadbeef shows promising tendencies. But foobar2000 is the only windows programs I use these days, so it's nice it works swell under Wine. EAC I replaced with rubyripper (with wavpack as custom encoder).

"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #6
There is now an early alpha Android version of DeaDBeeF available. I tried it out on my wife's Droid X and it seems pretty stable, and gapless worked (at least with WavPack).

Also, the Linux version is up to 0.4.4.

DeaDBeeF home

Reply #7
Tried DeaDBeeF Android on my HD2 running DarkStone SuperRAM Froyo v1.5 - imports lossy.flac files into the playlist when you select the relevant folder but does not play them [edit2] and plays them perfectly - needed to reboot the phone.... [/edit2]. I like the simple UI.

If possible, could the Album be added to the text showing the Artist underneath the Track Name in the playlist?

[edit] ROM Version correction. [/edit]
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #8
Tried DeaDBeeF Android on my HD2 running DarkStone SuperRAM Froyo v1.5 - imports lossy.flac files into the playlist when you select the relevant folder but does not play them. I like the simple UI.

If possible, could the Album be added to the text showing the Artist underneath the Track Name in the playlist?

[edit] ROM Version correction. [/edit]

hey Nick. i'm the author of the deadbeef player.. not sure what do you mean by lossy flac.. also, HD2 -- isn't it running windows CE or something?

regarding your UI question -- current gui in alpha build is a placeholder, will be completely re-created from scratch in official release. i hope to make playlist customizable to some extent.

Reply #9
Thanks for the prompt response. I have Android running off the SD card (see here for details).

By lossy.flac, I mean audio processed using lossyWAV that is then losslessly encoded in FLAC.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #10
Tried DeaDBeeF Android on my HD2 running DarkStone SuperRAM Froyo v1.5 - imports lossy.flac files into the playlist when you select the relevant folder but does not play them. I like the simple UI.

Hmm. I just tried both lossy.wv and lossy.flac without any trouble. Do you have any trouble with regular flac files?

Reply #11
Apologies - a reboot of the phone fixed it - working well now! Thanks - this ROM doesn't support FLAC natively - now I have access to my lossy.FLAC files.

Reply #12
I've found that wavpack playback will hang deadbeef 0.4.4 after 10 to 20 minutes if you use the lucid version from the launchpad ppa. If you experience this problem just use the binary from the deadbeef website which appears unaffected.

Reply #13
Very good Bryant!
Now there's only missing support in Audacity and K3B out-of-the-box support (not through ffmpeg)...

Reply #14
Great player! Works fine as standalone application in my Ubuntu 11. Gapless playback, upsampler plugin, file browser etc. Perfect! 
Last version is 0.5.1

Thanks, Alexey and Bryant!
loquor mee menti: factus de materia, cinis elementi...

Reply #15
If you are not satisfied with any of the *nix players then foobar2000 works almost perfectly well under recent Wine.

Not true. I've used pretty much every Ubuntu, currently on the 11.10 beta, and each of them crashes with Foobar.

Most problems are with the listboxes in the media library - they don't refresh correctly, and eventually crash the app. I used to have a problem with conversion too where all the files created had null samples throughout, but I haven't seen that.

Either way, I can't reliably use FB for converting my files to single flac per-album with embedded cue, so I use XP in a VM instead.

Am I doing something wrong?

Reply #16
Different wine versions have different problems. It might be better to stick with one that is most stable. I used 1.1.26 for a long time.

Reply #17
I have been contributing a little bit to this nice player, and it now has full support for WavPack on Linux:
  • cue sheets
  • ReplayGain
  • all integer and float data types
  • multichannel
  • correction files
  • embedded cover art

[changes] [download]

Thanks, Alexey! 

David

I missed this player when I was on the look out, just installed a fresh Ubuntu, I am using XBMC and Winamp 2.81 but deadbeef sounds good, look foward to your future code on the project bryant

Reply #18
Am I doing something wrong?
I use Ubuntu 8.04 x64 (at work, I have Win7 at home) with default Wine version and Foobar 0.9.6.9 and it works normally. Except when I once changed the system date/time while the playback was running - it made the playback halt (playback just wouldn't advance) - until I rebooted the entire OS.

Reply #20
Thank you. I really enjoy Deadbeef a lot. Both on my Ubuntu and Android. Regards.