Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Additional command line problem with "comment" (Read 6693 times) previous topic - next topic

Additional command line problem with "comment"

Hi, this is my EAC additional command line in compression options:

-V -8 -T "artist=%artist%" -T "title=%title%" -T "album=%albumtitle%" -T "date=%year%" -T "tracknumber=%tracknr2%" -T "genre=%genre%" %source%

It works perfect, but I wanted to add the "comment" parameter as well, and have made this change:

-V -8 -T "artist=%artist%" -T "title=%title%" -T "album=%albumtitle%" -T "date=%year%" -T "tracknumber=%tracknr2%" -T "genre=%genre%" -T "comment=%comment%" %source%

But nothing happens, after the ripping process the "comment" field in the created tag remains blank. The test encoder function returns no error. What am I doing wrong?

Reply #1
The test encoder function returns no error. What am I doing wrong?
::

Command line seems OK (though I'm using %source% -o %dest%).
I guess you should check your settings in "F11 (Compression options) - Comment Tab"

Regards, ...

Reply #2
I was going to suggest the same thing, but then I thought it would only have an effect if EAC’s own option to “Add ID3 tag” was enabled – which I thought would have messed up the OP’s other tags by now, too; perhaps I’m mistaken.

Reply #3
... but then I thought it would only have an effect if EAC’s own option to “Add ID3 tag” was enabled ...

That's wrong. But to name it "ID3 tag comment field" isn't really a good choice there ...

Reply #4
So, you mean that EAC always affects the comment, even if it is not set to write tags?

Reply #5
This is what the command line looks now:

-V -8 -T "artist=%artist%" -T "title=%title%" -T "album=%albumtitle%" -T "date=%year%" -T "tracknumber=%tracknr2%" -T "genre=%genre%" -T "comment=%comment%" %source% -o %dest%

this is what the Encoder test shows in the result:

C:\Program Files\FLAC\flac.exe -V -8 -T "artist=Track Artist" -T "title=Track Title" -T "album=CD Title" -T "date=1999" -T "tracknumber=05" -T "genre=Drum Solo" -T "comment=" "etmp)!58).wav" -o "etmp)!58).flac"

No error, but notice how the comment field is empty again.

EDIT: I don't use ID3 tag with FLAC.

Reply #6
So, you mean that EAC always affects the comment, even if it is not set to write tags?

,... even if "Add ID3 tags" is not checked in EAC's "External Compression" settings, yes!

hydrogenxx, put a comment for the CD in the "Comment" field of EAC's main window, please.
In "F11 (Compression options) - Comment Tab" check the first option "Write the comment text of the CD ...".
Rip your tracks and check the comment tag.

Works for me ...

Reply #7
Edit: never mind. I was asking whether EAC was writing the comment as an ID3 tag, which is officially deprecated, but obviously it is just passing whatever the user specifies on that separate pane, via %comment% to the encoder.

Reply #8

Exactly. Even more complicated: If you want to have a (hopefully small) front cover embedded in a FLAC file's picture block and use something similar to
Code: [Select]
--no-padding --no-replay-gain -8 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr1%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%" %haslyrics%-T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%" %hascover%%source% -o %dest%
, you'll have to check "Add cover image to ID3V2 tag" in "Compression options - ID3 tag".

Greetings, ...

Reply #9
I have done as Surfi suggested and it finally works and it says it's Vorbis :-) Thank you pal.

But I still don't understand why the option in F11 is called add to ID3 tag, when I have ID3 tags disabled. That's why I didn't want to use it before, I was afraid it  would create ID3 tag somehow.

EDIT: I see now db1989 was thinking the same :-)

Reply #11

Exactly. Even more complicated: If you want to have a (hopefully small) front cover embedded in a FLAC file's picture block and use something similar to
Code: [Select]
--no-padding --no-replay-gain -8 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr1%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%" %haslyrics%-T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%" %hascover%%source% -o %dest%
, you'll have to check "Add cover image to ID3V2 tag" in "Compression options - ID3 tag".

Greetings, ...

Wow. Surfi, you are actually the creator of EAC, admit it ;-)

Btw, no space between %hascover%%source%?

Reply #12
Are you actually entering anything in the Comment field within EAC before ripping?

Reply #13
Yes and it doesn't work unless the F11 Comment Tab "Write the comment text of the CD ..." is enabled, we've just come to that conclusion :-)

Reply #14
Why "--no-replay-gain"?  Isn't RG added only when asked?

That's correct, --no-replay-gain is not needed. It is with LAME that --noreplaygain is useful (it makes encoding slightly faster and avoids computing values that won't get read by most players).

Reply #15
Yes and it doesn't work unless the F11 Comment Tab "Write the comment text of the CD ..." is enabled, we've just come to that conclusion

Ah, I see. Isn't that the default setting, though?

EAC's user interface is a trip, isn't it? I don't think all the different options could be organized any more poorly, not to mention the fractured English translations and the assorted remnants of when the program was primarily used for creating MP3s. Like this option, which describes writing ID3 tags.

Reply #16
Btw, no space between %hascover%%source%?

Yes, that's intended. You'll find that space after --picture="%coverfile%" and before the second %hascover%. If there's no cover available the whole block between the two %hascover% (including the space which is not needed anymore) will be removed. If you put the space after the second %hascover% and no cover is present you'll get two consecutive spaces.
It's the same for the second %haslyrics%. The space is before that too, not afterwards.

But I have to remove the "--no-replay-gain" option. It's really needless.

Regards, ...