Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Eli's Suggested EAC settings for FLAC (Read 482694 times) previous topic - next topic

Eli's Suggested EAC settings for FLAC

Reply #50
-

Reply #51
Two questions:

1.  Only half of my tracks are reporting as AccurateRipped, yet the confidence  number is very high, like 35+.  What does this mean?

2.  Is there a way to automatically fallback on a less secure ripping method, if secure mode + test & copy fails? Would it do any good? I have several tracks that play in my car cd player, with a few skips, and I'd rather go ahead and get the choppy track ripped, than no rip at all.

Thanx a bunch for this guide!

Reply #52
I am seriously MISSING the LP and Cassette days... days in which I used to completely IGNORE alllll of this...

Reply #53
Well I've immensely improved AccurateRip results on my Sony CRX320E.

EAC Options - Extraction
- Fill Up missing offset samples
- Synchronize between tracks
- Skip track extraction after 3x realtime
- After each 24 mins, cooldown for 3 mins
- Normal extraction
- High error recovery

Drive Options - Extraction method
- Secure mode w/ accurate stream & caches audio data
- Autodetect read command
- Spin up drive
Offset/speed
- Overread
- Actual speed selection
- allow speed reduction
- CD-Text Read capable

Reply #54
I have a problem...

The result of my ripping is that out of say 12 tracks of an album, I would get maybe 3 tracks in FLAC formats, the others would be in WAV format.  I also get some duplicate tracks with mumbo jumbo names.

Where did I go wrong you think?

Thanks.

Reply #55
Drive Options...
Offset / Speed Tab...
Offset locked by AccurateRip

i have v0.95b4
i haven't seen in this tab any message about accuraterip. i have there two options: use read sample or use combinated read/write.
i have accuraterip.dll in EAC folder.
so all is ok for me or not?

Reply #56
Drive Options...
Offset / Speed Tab...
Offset locked by AccurateRip

i have v0.95b4
i haven't seen in this tab any message about accuraterip. i have there two options: use read sample or use combinated read/write.
i have accuraterip.dll in EAC folder.
so all is ok for me or not?

Have you set up accuraterip yet using key discs? After AR is setup it will lock the read offset. If your read offset is not yet locked, AR is not yet set up. Get all your other setting correct, then load a few CDs until you find one that AR recognizes and follow the prompts to configure AR.

Reply #57
What's the best method for appending gaps?  Append to Previous (default) or Append to Next?

When you're using -T to add a tag, the first part, before the equals is the field name, correct?  One of the field names defined here?

Why isn't comment= quoted along with "%e"?

What's the consensus on using --replay-gain as a command line option, adding it the the list of others?
EDIT: Yeah, I figured out that when you have that on the command line in EAC, it can only apply ReplayGain to a single file, and can't calculate album gain for all of them.  So I can just do that in FooBar2000.

EDIT: Found the list of flags here: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/eac11.html#Compression

Reply #59
what about under the waveform tab in compression options.

and also, will this setup be good enough for all around ripping?

Reply #60
You'll notice that everthing in the Waveform tab is grayed-out when an external compressor is selected.  These settings have no bearing on the creation of flac files.

This setup was created to get the highest quality rips from EAC for the greatest number of circumstances.  I might do a couple things slightly differently, but as a whole, the guideline is very very good (EDIT: IMO, of course ).

Reply #61
damn. i just ripped 2 cds, but for some reason the flac ones are alot quieter. (nevermind i had replaygain on ewwwww)

and my waveform tab isnt grayed out because im using the native thing, ill try to get external to work.

Reply #62
This is a pretty long thread, so can anyone tell me how I would keep Track, Artist, Album names in the .flac files or .cue sheet when I import the .flac file back into foobar?

Reply #63
This is a pretty long thread, so can anyone tell me how I would keep Track, Artist, Album names in the .flac files or .cue sheet when I import the .flac file back into foobar?

-8 -A tukey(0.25) -A gauss(0.1875) -b 4096 -V -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

That is the FLAC compression string I use with EAC and FLAC 1.1.3.

-T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

That's the bit that adds the tags to the FLAC files.

Reply #64
I have a problem...

The result of my ripping is that out of say 12 tracks of an album, I would get maybe 3 tracks in FLAC formats, the others would be in WAV format.  I also get some duplicate tracks with mumbo jumbo names.

Where did I go wrong you think?

Thanks.

EAC queues up the files to be passed to the encoder one at a time.  It rips faster than flac encodes so you have to let the encoder do its thing.  If you uncheck:

Tools Tab
[X] Do not open external compressor window - **user option

You will see the encoder do its thing.  You can also hit ctrl+q to see which files have not been sent to the encoder yet.

Reply #65
I plan to create backups of all my rother's collections, starting by some slightly rare compilations they have. I decided on using a kind of hybrid between Myden's recommendations and the ones posted in the OP, which can be seen in this .CFG file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/10025686/Myden...0_Id0_.CFG.html

There is a slight problem though: none of my two drives (a Sony DVD recorder and a LiteOn CD recorder) seem to support overread lead-in and lead-out as  accuraterip's test extraction shows a sync error in the last track. What exactly will I be losing (you loose the number of samples equal to your drive offset doesn't say much to me) if I disable that option and enable "Fill up missing offset samples with silence" instead?

Also, I understand FLAC supports tagging but the only tagging option I see in EAC is ID3. How can I set EAC to write FLAC tags? Will those flags be carried over when I convert them to Ogg Vorbis?

Reply #66
As I understand it, in all likelihood the missing samples are silent data.  The track has begun playing, but there it is just a silent section.  So by filling up the missing samples with silent data, you are fairly safe that you'll get an accuraterip.

Here are all the passable parameters that EAC supports:
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/eac11.html#Compression
And you can pass custom tags to FLAC as well, using -T "fieldname=value" format.

Reply #67
As I understand it, in all likelihood the missing samples are silent data.  The track has begun playing, but there it is just a silent section.  So by filling up the missing samples with silent data, you are fairly safe that you'll get an accuraterip.
(bolding added to original quote)

Are you suggesting that missing samples get replaced by silence between tracks?

Reply #68
No.  The Read-Offset only affects the reading of the Lead-In (data at the beginning of the first track) or the Lead-Out (data at the end of the last track).  Now I have no tangible evidence that the missing samples will always be silent data, but that is my experience, and I have around 20 accuraterip's with good confidence numbers while using the Read-Offset + Fill up missing offset samples with silence options.

Reply #69
No.  The Read-Offset only affects the reading of the Lead-In (data at the beginning of the first track) or the Lead-Out (data at the end of the last track).  Now I have no tangible evidence that the missing samples will always be silent data, but that is my experience, and I have around 20 accuraterip's with good confidence numbers while using the Read-Offset + Fill up missing offset samples with silence options.

AccurateRip was designed to work around the possibility that your drive can't overread.

It threw me that you were concerned about the beginning of the first track since the vast majority of drives have a positive offset correction.

Reply #70
So I shouldn't worry too much then. Thanks for the explanations .

Reply #71
Additional Command Line Options:
-6 -V -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" -T comment="%e" -T "comment=EAC (Secure Mode)" %s
Now that FLAC 1.1.4 is out with the much faster encoding time for -8, should the command line be changed to use -8 again?

Reply #72
Additional Command Line Options:
-6 -V -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" -T comment="%e" -T "comment=EAC (Secure Mode)" %s
Now that FLAC 1.1.4 is out with the much faster encoding time for -8, should the command line be changed to use -8 again?

I have not seen actual comparison times. Also, decoding time is an issue as well. As I argued before, the reported encoding times for -8 are for very slow computers (<1ghz cpu) that cannot be very well compared to today's computers that are much more powerful. There are no hard and fast RULES, just suggestions, so if you like -8, then by all means use it. I have switched to dBpowerAMP R12 Reference, for which the FLAC 1.1.4 is in testing right now, so I have not switched over to it yet.

Reply #73
Excellent guide. Thank you, Eli, for writing it! I've got two questions:

1: How do I configure EAC to output filenames with the track number in the name? For example, "01 To Victory.flac," instead of "To Victory.flac?"

2: Is there a way to embed album art via EAC? If not, how can I go about doing that?

Reply #74
Excellent guide. Thank you, Eli, for writing it! I've got two questions:

1: How do I configure EAC to output filenames with the track number in the name? For example, "01 To Victory.flac," instead of "To Victory.flac?"

2: Is there a way to embed album art via EAC? If not, how can I go about doing that?

1) %N  %T

2)No, eac cannot do album art. You could try the new dBpoweramp ripper, which gets album art from AMG and can embed it directly into FLAC files, or you can try software like mp3tag after you have created the flacs with EAC.