Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Resampler plugin (Read 482976 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Resampler plugin

Reply #250
I read here that dithering adds noise to the space in between the original frequencies and the upsampled to make it a more accurate upsampling.

No, that's not true. http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Dither
If output bit depth is 24 then dither is unnecessary.

Would you recommend that I turn dithering on for this or perhaps Anti Aliasing? If I was to use dithering, is there a way to only apply the effect to the frequencies that must be upsampled?

This plugin doesn't perform any dithering itself.
About aliasing (not "anti aliasing"): IMHO it doesn't matter at such frequencies.

Reply #251
Thanks for your work but Foobar only installs components from zip and rar archives, you provide the main component in zip already, so why the 7z?

Reply #252
Has not always been the case and post is from 1.5 years ago when it may not of been the case. Also looks to be a different version than post#1.
Is the point of your post that you want to install? If so, drag dll to the components preference page of your foobar2000 installation. By the way, this is the uploads forum and questions regarding the component should be placed in the appropriate dedicated thread.
regards

Reply #253
I understand that "best" is "-v" SOX option. What are the others? Is the "-l" implemented?
I am looking at this graphs (44.1>96):

Also, on SOX page it says:

SoX 14.2.0 High Quality: -b 90 -a

SoX 14.2.0 VHQ Linear Phase: -v -s

SoX 14.2.0 VHQ Intermediate Phase: -v -s -I

SoX 14.2.0 VHQ Minimum Phase: -v -s -M

Reply #254
You can see the description of other modes in the changelog of ver. 0.6.6.
Low quality mode (-l) existed in in 0.6.0 but was removed in 0.6.0 (it isn't better than built-in PPHS anyway).

Reply #255
Love the SoX reampler in Foobar - I have tested it against other DSPs. It is still the best.  Even beats JPlay on system using 176k resampling of redbook files.

Request - my new DAC/PC interface can handle up to 384K , I would like to re-sample my redbook files from 44 to 352, can you add a 352k sample rate or an 8x option in your next update.

I have some archived LPs I recorded at 176 and the 2x option worked great!  Sounded a bit better then 176k.

Thanks again for a great plugin!

Reply #258
It's either OS resampling or soundcard filter.

Reply #259
Original sound (tone from 20 kHz to 96 kHz, 16 bit 192 kHz): http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/8640/orig.png

foobar2000 + SoX (resample to 44.1 kHz) -> analog input (recorded at 24 bit 192 kHz): http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/448/sox.png

Frequencies above 22.05 kHz is not filtered. How can it possible?

It's not possible. If it has frequency content above 22.05k, then it's not been resampled to 44.1k.

Inadequate filtering would lead to aliasing, i.e. unwanted frequency content below 22.05k, but that's not what your graphs show.

Reply #260
sorry if dumb question, but here it is: if input signal equals output (96kHz/24bit in and out, default SoX settings) does plugin process signal or it just passes unaffected?
Thanks

Reply #261
See posts #245-246.

Reply #262
Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you for this plugin lvqcl, really appreciate it.

Secondly, I would like to ask you guys some questions that somebody may, hopefully, be willing to answer considering I am pretty ignorant on general sound matters:

Please take in mind that I use ASIO for playback on a 2.1 THX system, and my sample rate can go as high as 48000 for ASIO (after that, I have totally distorted output, or no sound at all).

1. PassBand defines what will be passed to the bass (frequencies), correct?

2. Aliasing and Phase Response are supposed to improve quality over distorted sound, correct?

3. So assuming I do not have distorted sound and everything sounds great, should I disable them to get the maximum benefit, or can someone explain to me in simple words what they really do and how I can benefit from them?

4. Plugin irrelevant question: Should the Tone/sweep sample rate comply with my main rate (e.g. re-sampled to 48 KHz -> Tone/Sweep 48 KHz)?

I have read the technical information sheets posted here and in Sox and used Google a lot, but I am having difficulties understanding them and finding information that I can comprehend.

If anyone can help me or give me some suggestions on the matters mentioned, it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance guys!

Reply #263
1. PassBand defines what will be passed to the bass (frequencies), correct?

No. PassBand is the whole audio band. there is no subwoffer separation and your PC speaker system doesn't have a dedicated input for that anyway.
2. Aliasing and Phase Response are supposed to improve quality over distorted sound, correct?

Wrong again. There is nothing that you can do with "distorted sound". Those parameters are related strictly to quality of upsampling, leave them as they are.
3. So assuming I do not have distorted sound and everything sounds great, should I disable them to get the maximum benefit, or can someone explain to me in simple words what they really do and how I can benefit from them?

Again you are wrong, read above. Just leave those sliders are they are default, don't check the "Allow aliasing" either.

Reply #264
Many thanks for replying to my questions - but a few more are born based on what you said:

So what should I put the PassBand at to get the best quality?

Also, what about Aliasing and Phase Response; default options are set for maximum quality and changing them will only worsen my output?

Is there a chance I get a simplified summary of what they are and how do they affect sound?

PS: Tone/sweep insight is welcome!

Reply #265
There are two links in the first post of this thread: to SoX FAQ and to help file.

Reply #266
There are two links in the first post of this thread: to SoX FAQ and to help file.

I read that but I am having difficulties understanding it 

Simplified answers to my questions are most welcome!

Reply #267
I plan to use the component to downsample in my 24/96 -> 16/44.1 conversion.

Since in foobar's Converter Setup the "Output format" is before "Processing" I assume the downsampling is happing after the bit reduction.
Is it correct that the opposite would be better?
How can I accomplish that using foobar?
Is command line SOX the way to go?

thanks

Reply #268
bit reduction is always performed last - after all other processings!

Reply #269
First processing, then converting to FLAC.

Reply #270
Really great resampler! Looking forward to all future updates! Thank you so much.

Reply #271
Thanks also for reimplementing my Speex resampler. So there indeed was some buffering bugs

Reply #273
SoX resampler 0.8.0 beta:  uses newer version of the resampling algorithm, with downsampling speed-up. Want to test?

[attachment=7076:foo_dsp_...0.8.0_b1.zip]
[attachment=7077:foo_dsp_....0_beta2.zip]

thank you............

Reply #274
Thanks, will test it right now.
I upsample most of the time thou...

LE: 44.1>96 and 192>96 sound clean.