Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: obtain asio4all v2 sound quality (Read 9550 times) previous topic - next topic

obtain asio4all v2 sound quality

How can I obtain the quality sound I hear when asio4all v2 is enabled on my DAW onto a mp3 or wav file??

When asio4all v2 is enabled in a DAW, the quality is so much better it sounds clear, louder when it's not, and as if the track has been mixed and mastered! 

So how to get that sound that sound I hear on a media file? We're in 2012 there has to be a way! 

Rendering a track has nothing to do with your sound card or driver so I can rule that out. So I can try to record the sound asio4all is playing. I tried recording the analog sound with a audio interface on a different computer, and although I was successful the quality on the recorded track wasn't the same, it was not as clear as the original track.    where asio4all was playing.

So I can try to record digitally on another DAW using with a Virtual Audio Cable where all transfers are made digitally, providing NO sound quality loss (a bitperfect streaming). 

I use FL Studio as my main DAW where asio4all is enabled, and Reaper as my secondary DAW where I want to record the track. If I can find a way to record on Reaper the track that is playing on FL Studio while asio4all is enabled would I record the quality I'm pursuing?

If not what can I do to obtain that sound quality played back by asio4all v2? I couldn't get Virtual Audio Cable does not detect asio4all v2. 

Please Help any suggestions are great!

Reply #1
There's an utility called ReaRoute that comes with Reaper installation you could use for to stream audio from FL into Reaper (this stream does not go through Asio4all AFAIK).

Juha

Reply #2
How can I obtain the quality sound I hear when asio4all v2 is enabled on my DAW onto a mp3 or wav file??

When asio4all v2 is enabled in a DAW, the quality is so much better it sounds clear, louder when it's not, and as if the track has been mixed and mastered! 

Please keep in mind the Terms of Service of this forum, especially #8. As of now, it is unproven that ASIO sounds any different from other output methods on Windows as far as music playback is concerned. This is also true for ASIO4ALL, which as far as I know simply emulates an ASIO device via DirectSound/WASAPI.

So I can try to record digitally on another DAW using with a Virtual Audio Cable where all transfers are made digitally, providing NO sound quality loss (a bitperfect streaming). 

I use FL Studio as my main DAW where asio4all is enabled, and Reaper as my secondary DAW where I want to record the track. If I can find a way to record on Reaper the track that is playing on FL Studio while asio4all is enabled would I record the quality I'm pursuing?

I fail to see what benefit recording the audio playback offers over simply saving the audio in PCM. Warranted, if playback quality is high enough to perfectly reproduce say, 16bit/44.1kHz audio, you at least have a high chance of getting the same result as saving 16bit/44.1kHz PCM directly.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #3
There's an utility called ReaRoute that comes with Reaper installation you could use for to stream audio from FL into Reaper (this stream does not go through Asio4all AFAIK).

Juha

I am aware of that, but the latest version of Reaper does not have that driver installed anywhere and I can't seem to find it anywhere online. Also I'm not sure if it would work because ReaRoute is enabled instead of asio4all v2.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Reply #4

Please keep in mind the Terms of Service of this forum, especially #8. As of now, it is unproven that ASIO sounds any different from other output methods on Windows as far as music playback is concerned. This is also true for ASIO4ALL, which as far as I know simply emulates an ASIO device via DirectSound/WASAPI.

I fail to see what benefit recording the audio playback offers over simply saving the audio in PCM. Warranted, if playback quality is high enough to perfectly reproduce say, 16bit/44.1kHz audio, you at least have a high chance of getting the same result as saving 16bit/44.1kHz PCM directly.

Kohlrabi I am aware a lot of people claim they hear things when they are just imaging 

sometimes it's funny
sometimes it's annoying cause they waste your time
sometimes it's scary cause they are hearing things that are not really there.

I'm pretty sure the quality I hear is much better when asio4all is enabled than when my primary sound driver is enabled. That or I have a crappy primary sound driver, or I'm going crazy because I'm imagining things 

When asio4all is enabled I can hear the highs and lows very clearly and it sounds louder that I even have to turn down the volume or my headphones will blow! I placed the Db meter and the level peaks at 0db everytime asio4all or primary sound driver.
(however i did notice that on a different computer when asio4all is enabled the sound quality is just about identical.)

I also know everyone wants technical answers not just opinions. I agree, so I'll try to keep it that way. Instead of debating whether asio4all v2 sounds better, help me figure out how to record playback when asio4all is enabled? How could I record it digitally with Virtual Audio cable routed from my headphones port (because no doubt that is where the sound I am hearing is coming from is located) to Reaper

If I can do it I'll be glad to post a before and after sample and let you guys judge for yourselves.

TTYL
colorful music

Reply #5
I'm pretty sure the quality I hear is much better when asio4all is enabled than when my primary sound driver is enabled. That or I have a crappy primary sound driver, or I'm going crazy because I'm imagining things

If you don’t have objective evidence from double-blind tests, in line with #8 of the ToS, then you might as well be imagining it all; in any case, do not post about it here.

If I can do it I'll be glad to post a before and after sample and let you guys judge for yourselves.
Not being blind, this is no use. Besides, you are the one who has made a claim, so you are the one who must provide evidence. No one else is under any obligation to do anything.

Let’s stop talking about unsubstantiated subjective claims. People can help you with the technical side if they still want to, but the underlying motivation is flawed.

Reply #6

help me figure out how to record playback when asio4all is enabled? How could I record it digitally with Virtual Audio cable routed from my headphones port (because no doubt that is where the sound I am hearing is coming from is located) to Reaper

TTYL
colorful music

Only way record headphone output is to use analog loopback cabling (wire headphone out --> soundcard in).

Some audio devices does have special recording mode (named as What U Hear, Stereo Mix, etc.) which allows to record all playback. This method should work if you do not enable output for the track youre recording to.

Juha

Reply #7
I also know everyone wants technical answers not just opinions. I agree, so I'll try to keep it that way. Instead of debating whether asio4all v2 sounds better, help me figure out how to record playback when asio4all is enabled?

I just wanted to make sure that you understand that the whole premise is pointless, since the result will have equal or lower fidelity than the directly saved PCM.  The fair assumption is that ASIO4ALL doesn't alter the sound noticeably via a bad resampler or some sort of equalizer settings, and if it does you would be recording those.

The point of ASIO4ALL is circumventing crappy WDM drivers, as far as I know it doesn't offer any benefits you expect from real ASIO, like possible bit-perfect output and low latency.

As mentioned before, this is one possible technical solution.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #8
Thanks guys your all awesome!

Reply #9
Maybe the reason you think it sounds better is just because it's louder?

Reply #10
^ That certainly is possible.

Also keep in mind that ASIO4All uses WASAPI devices in exclusive mode (or so it seems, at least). The same is not true for other APIs, which run in shared mode. The combination of MME out + Win7 + mismatched sample rates in software output and sound device could be fairly deadly, for example - there is a bug in Win7 that erroneously causes (super crappy) linear interpolation to be used in this case, rather than the fairly decent resampler in the audio stack. A hotfix is available.

In this particular case I'd look into getting the aforementioned ReaRoute or an equivalent software routing solution to work as it would be exactly what's needed. Look at support forums - I can't imagine that noone else would have had the same problem. Otherwise one would have to wonder whether it's not a PBKAC (e.g. option overlooked during installation or whatever).