IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
MIDI control surfaces and Foobar (suggestion)
Crono81
post May 17 2015, 17:51
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 38764

Almost any professional/dj/music audio equipment/software can be controlled through external MIDI devices. This is true since 1985 or so. Also, all music equipment nowadays come with some kind of standardized "transport" functions, just like these play/record/etc buttons:

You can also remotely control volume, effects, routing, options, etc. It's a very useful function to have, as it's the interface to the entire music production world. (no, MIDI isn't only about notes and it's far from dead).

Am i missing something, or foobar doesn't support this at all? I've searched for plugins or solutions, but only found workarounds requiring additional software which essentially convert MIDI commands to keystrokes to be catched as standard hotkeys in foobar.

My suggestion would be to add MIDI input support to foobar, extending the "Keyboard Shortcuts" with some kind of "MIDI Learn" functionality (as found in many music production softwares around). The basic usage scenario would be the following: while playing USB or MIDI keyboards (or mixer, or anything...), one could start/stop/pause music in foobar from its hardware transport buttons instead of reaching mouse/keyboard.

MIDI programming is really simple and in 2 hours I've done a basic plugin which makes the transport buttons of my USB/MIDI keyboard work (and consider that I never actually touched foobar API, low level MIDI programming or Visual Studio before tongue.gif). Here is the code (sorry for some poor programming techniques): http://pastebin.com/5x0yakxA. I would develop a better and customizable plugin in my spare time, if I had spare time tongue.gif , but I think that it should be really integrated in the foobar core as with the normal keyboard shortcuts.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2015 - 11:41