Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Splitting To invidual Files via Cuesheets (Read 13880 times) previous topic - next topic

Splitting To invidual Files via Cuesheets

I've found many topics concerning cuesheets but can't find an answer to my problem.

A while ago I ripped entire albums with cuesheets. Most were done in FLAC, some in MPC. I've now decided I'd rather hold the individual tracks in my library. I've had no problem splitting the FLAC files but for the MPC ones the only way I can find do it is to use the Converter to convert them to another format or to MPC again, which I'd rather avoid. Is there a way of simply saving the tracks from the playlist - still in MPC format - once FB2K has opened the cuesheet?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm new to Foobar and just can't find a way of doing it.

Thanks

Reply #1
I read a thread about this recently; you may need to do a little (more) searching to get an accurate response.

IIRC correctly, if you convert to SV8, which is a lossless process, you can then use mpccut.exe to split your files without re-encoding.

Ah, me remembering mpccut gave me some fuel for searching, so here's the thread:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=65163
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
I read a thread about this recently; you may need to do a little (more) searching to get an accurate response.

IIRC correctly, if you convert to SV8, which is a lossless process, you can then use mpccut.exe to split your files without re-encoding.

Ah, me remembering mpccut gave me some fuel for searching, so here's the thread:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=65163

Thanks ever so much, I was assuming I could do it within Foobar. The only problem I have now is figuring out how to use MPCCUT. When I try to run it nothing happens. I susect that's because I don't really know how to use it. Still, if all else fails maybe I'll just convert the .mpc's to Lossyflac and just put up with the bigger files. At least I shouldn't do any damage that way

Thanks again

Reply #3
Code: [Select]
mpccut - Musepack (MPC) stream cutter v0.9.0 (C) 2007 MDT
Built Nov 23 2007 16:27:44
Usage: mpccut [-s start_sample] [-e end_sample] <infile.mpc> <outfile.mpc>

It appears that mpccut requires sample values to cut.  Unfortunately I have no idea how to convert from a cuesheet index into a sample value.

Edit: A quick test seems to prove that there are 44100 samples to a second.  I can't help thinking, given that figure, that the answer should be obvious to anyone who understands what a sample is.

Therefore, if you really want to do this, you just need to convert your cue sheet indexes into sample values - remembering that there are 75 cue sheet frames to one second - and then run multiple mpccut commands.  A little effort I'll grant you, but IMHO worth it (a) for the crack (b) to maintain MPC file quality and size.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #4
As an example I converted a test image - The Go! Team's "Grip Like A Vice" CD single - into an MPC image.

I then took the cue sheet:

PERFORMER "The Go! Team"
TITLE "Grip Like A Vice"
FILE "The Go! Team - Grip Like A Vice.wv" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Grip Like A Vice"
    PERFORMER "The Go! Team"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "A Version Of Myself"
    PERFORMER "The Go! Team"
    INDEX 00 04:01:38
    INDEX 01 04:03:45

I converted the index 01 of track 2 into samples:

samples = (4 * 60 * 44100) + (3 * 44100) + (45/75 * 44100) = 10742760

I then ran mpccut as so:

mpccut -e 10742760 "The Go! Team - Grip Like A Vice.mpc" "01 - Grip Like A Vice.mpc"
mpccut -s 10742760 "The Go! Team - Grip Like A Vice.mpc" "02 - A Version Of Myself.mpc"

Notice I omit the start for the first track, and the end for the last track. If your image has more than two tracks the tracks in between will need to specify both -s and -e. NB: It appears that -s of track two should be -e of track one, -s of track three should be -e of track two, etcetera.  To begin I used  10742759 as the end of track 1, but that didn't tally with foobar reporting the samples of the image with cue sheet.

Best of luck.

Edit: In an attempt to clarify further, let's pretend that my cue sheet had three tracks, with the index 01 of track three being 07:34:27, or 20037276 ((7*60*44100) + (34*44100) + (27/75*44100)) samples:

mpccut -e 10742760 "The Go! Team - Grip Like A Vice.mpc" "01.mpc"
mpccut -s 10742760 -e 20037276 "The Go! Team - Grip Like A Vice.mpc" "02.mpc"
mpccut -s 20037276 "The Go! Team - Grip Like A Vice.mpc" "03.mpc"
I'm on a horse.

Reply #5
Sounds like a job for a quiet morning when I have nothing else to do - not too many of those these days

many thanks

Reply #6
This spreadsheet may help you.  If you type in the INDEX 01 values for your cue sheet - splitting the HH:MM:FF values into their component parts - the spreadsheet will both calculate the sample values for you, and (if all goes well) create the mpccut commands that you will need (or at least a start to them).
I'm on a horse.

Reply #7
Thanks again SS; you're very resourceful.

Can't help wondering why mpccut doesn't do itself from the cuesheet (but I don't expect you to have the answer)

Reply #8
Agreed.  Expecting users to provide sample values does seem a little... unfriendly.  A switch to provide the path to a cue sheet would be very welcome.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #9
very useful excelsheet, Synthetic Soul! Thank You