Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Please, Need major help with tagging--EAC and LAME (Read 3929 times) previous topic - next topic

Please, Need major help with tagging--EAC and LAME

I've been using EAC with "user defined encoder" lame (v. 3.99.5) to import a lot of my cds for importing and playback on my iPod Touch (newest).
I'm having great trouble getting all of the tag information (or, the information I want) to appear within the files once imported to iTunes.

I think I'm getting the bit rate I want, and the cover art IS being embedded and showing up within iTunes (and subsequently on the iTouch), but here are the issues:

The created mp3 folders and files look like this, which is exactly what I want...eg,

Parent Folder: Freddie Hubbard
Folder: 1960 - Open Sesame
Files: 01. Open Sesame (07.12) - Freddie Hubbard, etc

In other words, I want the album year to appear before the album name, so that I can sort it by year (and play back chronologically), and I want the track titles to be appended with the running length, surrounded by parentheses, then the artist name to appear again at the end of the file.

BUT, once I import these folders/files into iTunes, the date does not appear before the album name, the running time of the tracks does not appear, and the artist name is not appended to the end of the file.

I've tried letting lame write the tags, trying, alternately, these 2 strings, which were suggested on this site:

-V 0 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%artist%" --ty "%year%" --tt "%title%" --tl "%albumtitle%" --tn "%tracknr%" --ti "%coverfile%" %source% %dest%

and

-V0 --id3v2-only --ignore-tag-errors --ta "%artist%" --tt "%title%" --tl "%albumtitle%" --ty "%year%" --tc "%comment%" --tn "%tracknr%/%numtracks%" --tg "%genre%" --tv "TPE2=%albumartist%" --tv "TPOS=%cdnumber%/%totalcds%" --tv "TENC=EAC v1.0b3 (Secure Mode) with LAME 32bit v3.99.5" --tv "TSSE=lame.3.99.5.exe -V0" --ti "%coverfile%" %source% %dest%

When using either of those two strings, I have unchecked "add ID3 tag" within the compression settings tab of EAC.

I have also tried the following, letting EAC write the tags:

Checking "add ID3 tag", and writing -V0 %source% %dest% in the additional command line options.
Under the EAC option tab, I have entered the following under Construction of save filenames, Naming Scheme:
%albumartist%\%year% - %albumtitle%\%tracknr2%. %title% (%lengthmin%.%lengthsec%) - %artist%

Now, as I said, the created files look exactly the way I want, it's just that some of this information isn't being added to iTunes when I import the files.

When using CDEX program, I'm able to get all of this information to appear within iTunes, but I must subsequently use another app (MP3Tag) to add the cover art.

I like the fact that EAC can do all of this, without the need for an additional step.

Ideally, I would be most grateful if someone could tell me how to get this information to appear properly, and perhaps let me know the recommended settings for bit rate.

Here is the MediaInfo for one of the tracks...do these settings look good? I want a manageable file size, but also good sound quality. I'm happy with my settings, but am open to suggestions if anyone feels they can be improved upon.

General
Complete name                    : J:\(J) Music, Imported [Lame Enc., 192-320kbps]\Freddie Hubbard\1960 - Open Sesame\01. Open Sesame (07.12) - Freddie Hubbard.mp3
Format                          : MPEG Audio
File size                        : 14.6 MiB
Duration                        : 7mn 11s
Overall bit rate mode            : Variable
Overall bit rate                : 284 Kbps
Album                            : Open Sesame
Part/Position                    : 1
Part/Total                      : 1
Track name                      : Open Sesame
Track name/Position              : 01
Track name/Total                : 08
Performer                        : Freddie Hubbard
Genre                            : Jazz
Recorded date                    : 1960
Writing library                  : LAME3.99r
Encoding settings                : LAME.EXE -V0 --ignore-tag-errors --ta "Freddie Hubbard" --tt "Open Sesame" --tl "Open Sesame" --ty "1960" --tc "EAC" --tn "01/8" --tg "Jazz" --tv "TPE2=Freddie Hubbard" --tv "TPOS=1/1" --tv "TENC=EAC v1.0b3 (Secure Mode) with LAME 32bit v3.99.5" --tv "TSSE=lame.3.99.5.exe -V0" --ti "C:\Users\Wolff\AppData\Local\Temp\CPI9CC4.tmp.jpg"
Cover                            : Yes
Cover description                : CD Front Cover
Cover type                      : Cover (front)
Cover MIME                      : image/jpeg
Comment                          : EAC
MCDI                            : Yes

Audio
Format                          : MPEG Audio
Format version                  : Version 1
Format profile                  : Layer 3
Mode                            : Joint stereo
Duration                        : 7mn 11s
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                        : 284 Kbps
Minimum bit rate                : 32.0 Kbps
Channel(s)                      : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode                : Lossy
Stream size                      : 14.6 MiB (100%)
Writing library                  : LAME3.99r
Encoding settings                : -m j -V 0 -q 0 -lowpass 22.1 --vbr-new -b 32

Reply #1
Correction: The file names do not appear as desired when using CDEX. It's when I use MP3TAG to manually add the year before the album name, that all of the information, including running time for each track, appears correctly within iTunes.
So I'm looking at MP3TAG to see if it's using some different sort of ID3 tag...but so far, haven't found the difference.

Reply #2
Aw, no answers?

Reply #3
BUT, once I import these folders/files into iTunes, the date does not appear before the album name

Ideally, to get the desired format of things like this to show in iTunes (or any other player) you configure the player to format them. Your tagging looks fine. If iTunes isn't configurable in this way, then you can work around it by prepending the date to the album name (as you did in Mp3tag). To do that, you would replace

--tl "%albumtitle%"

with

--tl "%year% - %albumtitle%"

the running time of the tracks does not appear, and the artist name is not appended to the end of the file.

Again, you might have to make it part of the track title if you need this and iTunes doesn't give you the option.

--tt "%title%"

--tt "%title% - %artist%"

(From the article at http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...AC_placeholders it appears that track duration may only be available for file naming, not for passing to an external compressor.)

Reply #4
JJZolx--you're the best!

That worked perfectly. Looks like I was confused by some of the strings...I thought --ty "%year%" would have added the year as I wanted. But now I understand the issue. Tested it out in iTunes and voila. Thank you so much.