Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC CRC error on brand new CD (Read 5710 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC CRC error on brand new CD

Ok, this I think should be of interest to some people here.  I decided to rip one of my CDs that has only been outside of its case once.  I checked it carefully before putting it into my drive, no dust, fingerprints, scratches, etc.  I then ripped it with EAC, test and copy secure mode w/ accuraterip as well.  (Maybe overkill, but now I guess not).  After getting my report back from EAC, it stated no errors.  Also the track in question even had its ripping quality in the log at 100%.  I hit ok, the accuraterip window appears, and the last track was ripped incorrectly with a confidence of 12.  Because mine is live CD, I thought maybe I bought different version with an extended last song, so I ignored this.  I then went to check the CRC from my test.  The faulty track was marked with a #    I then extracted it again and the accuraterip as well as my own test checked out perfectly.  What does this mean?  Most users don't bother doing a test in secure mode and an even smaller amount use accuraterip.  Are such redundancies a bigger necessity for good rips than previously thought?

I can supply options, a sample of the file, and anything else if requested.  Also the CD is Led Zeppelin's How the West was Won, Disk 1, though I don't think it matters.

Reply #1
Secure mode can fail at times, and therefore some people uses test & copy to further enhance the secureness of the rip... Andre has never claimed that secure mode is 100% secure... -Martin.

Reply #2
Thanks Martin, I'll just have to keep testing and copying.  What are the chances of this happening?  Is it an often occurance?

Reply #3
Maybe you use C2 ?
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #4
I have the opposite problem.
I rip using secure mode and accurate rip. msot CDs rip fine. EAC has had trouble with about 4-5 CDs so I ripped them in fast mode. The result sounds fine on my laptop speakers (I was only looking for clicks and pops etc not sound quality).

One CD however refused to rip in burst mode as well. There were no visible scratches but the label and all printing on the CD was visible on the shiny side. What makes this worse is that the local CD shops in Bombay, India refuse to exchange the CD as it was not purchased here.

Q: does not the record company have the obligation to exchange such CDs that are unusable due to a manufacturing defect?

Q: Since I have purchased the music cd is it legal for me download the music of the net (if I cna find it)? and if so where would I find wav files of Eric Claptopn's Another Ticket. I tried Ubernet but I dont see any CDs ripped listed.

Reply #5
does not the record company have the obligation to exchange such CDs that are unusable due to a manufacturing defect?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309684"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you'd have to return it to the recording company (have fun waiting). Alot of the cd's I have include information about getting a replacement of a defective disc, however I've never had that problem.

Reply #6
yeah especially since i am now in th India and Indian customs will not understand a free replacement. I found an acceptable way around this.

I used Windows Media player and there ae option in this software that allow me to rip to lossless and high quality VBR formats.

Also I found another CD (Doobie Brothers) that one can see right thorough it looks like lightning streaks but Windows Medai player creates a lossless and VBR file that sounds fine (on my laptop). I am not testing SQ right now just clicks, pops, and other noise.

Reply #7
Maybe you use C2 ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309678"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Should have mentioned C2 in my original post -- I don't use C2 and ensured the rip was in secure mode.  Only secure option on is accurate stream.  Drive is a QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241.

Reply #8
I have the opposite problem.
I rip using secure mode and accurate rip. msot CDs rip fine. EAC has had trouble with about 4-5 CDs so I ripped them in fast mode. The result sounds fine on my laptop speakers (I was only looking for clicks and pops etc not sound quality).

One CD however refused to rip in burst mode as well. There were no visible scratches but the label and all printing on the CD was visible on the shiny side. What makes this worse is that the local CD shops in Bombay, India refuse to exchange the CD as it was not purchased here.

Q: does not the record company have the obligation to exchange such CDs that are unusable due to a manufacturing defect?

Q: Since I have purchased the music cd is it legal for me download the music of the net (if I cna find it)? and if so where would I find wav files of Eric Claptopn's Another Ticket. I tried Ubernet but I dont see any CDs ripped listed.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309684"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Forget about replacements in India. I once had a problem with a CD I bought in Planet-M, Bangalore. I couldn't rip the last track no matter what I did. So, I tried returning it to them with the invoice. The manager of the store simply didn't accept it! He told me that as long as it played on his music system (it did on his), he wouldn't accept it back. So much for customer service. Anyway, if they wouldn't replace a CD I bought from them, how will they replace a CD you bought in a totally different country? Tough thing-living in India 

Reply #9
I feel your pain guys, but as long as the audio CD plays back in a CD player it fulfills its design purpose and is deemed to be functional. Being rippable is not in Red Book spec and is not advertised on the CD sleeve, thus you cannot demand an exchange.

Besides, what makes you think another copy will not exhibit the same behavior?

Reply #10
Drive is a QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309773"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's your problem right there.

Reply #11
Tracks that have gave me CRC errors using my newer DVD drives that cache audio couldn't be ripped without noticable errors. I ripped those tracks in an old CD-RW drive that doesn't cache audio and have good copies.

Reply #12
Drive is a QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309773"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's your problem right there.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=310151"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Could you or someone else elaborate?  The drive supports accurate stream and does not cache audio.  I know it doesn't because on scratched CDs it detects the errors in secure mode.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but because a drive that caches audio will re-read from the cache in secure mode, it wouldn't detect any or very few.  I also have searched and found no serious issues with extracting audio when using this drive.  Is there something I should know?  I will use another drive and re-rip my whole collection if there is.

Reply #13
The feature set is meaningless if the implementation is faulty. I never heard of your drive; then you say you have everything set  up correctly and get errors with a brand new CD. Which is to blame: EAC or the no-name drive? Most likely, the latter. If your research turned up no negative reports on the drive's DAE capability, yours is the first,  then. You don't have to re-rip everything, though; at least not the CDs where you got the CRCs match and/or AccurateRip's approval.

As for the cache, a drive that caches audio will not re-read from the cache in secure mode if you check the Drive caches audio data box in Drive Options.

Reply #14
The feature set is meaningless if the implementation is faulty. I never heard of your drive; then you say you have everything set  up correctly and get errors with a brand new CD. Which is to blame: EAC or the no-name drive? Most likely, the latter. If your research turned up no negative reports on the drive's DAE capability, yours is the first,  then. You don't have to re-rip everything, though; at least not the CDs where you got the CRCs match and/or AccurateRip's approval.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=311054"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yay then, no re-ripping.  Is there a way to test my drive's DAE quality myself?  As you said, its a no-name drive and despite no red flags going up when I looked it up, I'd like to be safe.

As for the cache, a drive that caches audio will not re-read from the cache in secure mode if you check the Drive caches audio data box in Drive Options.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=311054"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think they were talking about if I had not selected that option and my drive actually did cache audio.

Reply #15
Sorry for the late answer, I thought I might be able to contribute to this thread, i.e. replying to Tropical's issue:

The CRC mismatch you saw is not uncommon. How often does it occur? I'd guess on a few % of all CDs I've ripped (other people's experiences are similar).
Somebody in this thread issued a prejudice about your no-name drive. I think you should consider it as a prejudice and nothing more than that. I'd assume your drive is OK until the opposite has been proven. And a CRC mismatch is not something to be surprised about.