Reply to this topicStart new topic
Lame Vbr 3.99 files with Xing only header, NEW amazon files
puzzlon
post May 23 2013, 11:00
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 108280

Hi.
So I bought recent releases from Amazon these last weeks, and while I'm not complaining about/questioning quality by any means (lame 3.99 vbr with spectrals up to 22.x Khz, which is their new standard, lame 3.97 v0 isn't used anymore for new files), I'm a bit annoyed by the tagging embedded in these new files (talking about frame headers here, not ID3)

I don't know how they do, but looking with an hex editor, there's only a Xing header now, NOT followed by the lame part, then all mp3 frames, then at the very end of the file finally mention of lame version followed by 32 Bytes of stuff I can't decipher...
all players can read them without problem, but since there's only a main Xing header, not a single program can report settings/presets etc, it's just not in the file... (although spectrals show it's mostly 3.99 with -v0)

Is there a way to "fix" those files, ie generating/adding lame header ?
needless to say the "rebuild mp3 streams" / "fix vbr header" a la foobar can't take care of it...

here are screenshots from Xing header + end of the file :

those new Amazon files show also first 4 bytes as FF FB 30 00 (screenshot shows FF FB 90 44 but that was a first tweak attempt cool.gif ) , while regular 44khz files are FF FB 90 44 / FF FB 90 64 from all files I saw, so even if a lame header could be generated, I guess these should be fixed too...
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
puzzlon
post May 23 2013, 12:36
Post #2

I also used mp3packer on it to see what happens, xing header is rewritten and "expanded" from 156 to 208 bytes, and foobar now sees an encoding profile "mp3 vbr". although the lame "info" at the end of the file is now purged and audio identifier now sees "Xing" instead of "lame 3.99", not much of a progress biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by puzzlon: May 23 2013, 13:00
+Quote Post
Brazil2
post May 23 2013, 13:18
Post #3

Member No.: 80499

http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net
+Quote Post
puzzlon
post May 23 2013, 13:36
Post #4

QUOTE (Brazil2 @ May 23 2013, 14:18) *

which I already use. but it's not able to transform xing into lame headers. I mostly use it to double check header size with my manual hex editing attempts biggrin.gif
now I sure can try to add bits myself manually using pages like this
http://gabriel.mp3-tech.org/mp3infotag.html

but I wonder if the last bits of the lame header aren't some sort of a roadblock this way (the CRC stuff...)

This post has been edited by puzzlon: May 23 2013, 13:40
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th December 2014 - 15:07