3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
De-emphasis components, Postprocessor and a DSP plugin
lvqcl
post Dec 16 2013, 18:58
Post #51

Group: Developer
Member No.: 49183

No, it is implemented as a biquad filter, it doesn't use any impulses.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SEMteXXL
post Dec 16 2013, 20:17
Post #52

Group: Members
Member No.: 56350

I see. I tried a little with status bar syntax and here are some possibilities. It was easier than I thought.

CODE
Pre-Emphasis: $if($meta(pre-emphasis),Yes,No)
or
CODE
Pre-Emphasis: $if($meta(pre_emphasis),Yes,No)
Depends on your tag name. It doesn't matter which value you are using 1, on or yes. It simply scans for PRE-EMPHASIS or PRE_EMPHASIS tag name presence.

second
CODE
Pre-Emphasis: $ifequal($meta(pre-emphasis),1,Yes,No)
or again
CODE
Pre-Emphasis: $ifequal($meta(pre_emphasis),1,Yes,No)
This one only works with value 1 and NOT with on or yes. I guess there are other possibilities. Hope this helps.

This post has been edited by SEMteXXL: Dec 16 2013, 20:19
+Quote Post
Hotsoup
post Yesterday, 15:33
Post #53

Member No.: 97852

I'm experiencing a strange problem - I've uninstalled this component (foo_dsp_deemph) but still seem to notice the effect when applying the %PRE-EMPHASIS% tag or deleting it. There is no active DSP in my chain, just replaygain. I'm currently at work though, looking to test if the same thing happens at my work station where I don't think I've ever installed either plugin, foo_deemph or foo_dsp_deemph. Anyone else able to reproduce this?

EDIT: I also checked for any leftover .dll's in the programs' component folder and APPDATA components folder.

This post has been edited by Hotsoup: Yesterday, 15:36
+Quote Post
eahm
post Yesterday, 16:03
Post #54

Member No.: 97076

Is there an effective way to know if a CD/track has pre-emphasis?

Thanks.

--------------------
/lwAsIimz
+Quote Post
lvqcl
post Yesterday, 16:05
Post #55

Group: Developer
Member No.: 49183

foo_dsp_effect also has its own deemph postprocessing. But IIRC it uses only PRE_EMPHASIS tag, and not PRE-EMPHASIS.
+Quote Post
Hotsoup
post Yesterday, 16:13
Post #56

QUOTE (eahm @ Sep 17 2014, 08:03) *
Is there an effective way to know if a CD/track has pre-emphasis?
I had a few in my collection that were known to have pre-emphasis: an old Dark Side of the Moon, New Order's Low-life (old Nimbus Factory disc), Journey's Frontiers (original US disc and Japan)... But I recently acquired two more discs from Japan on the Canyon label. I wouldn't have known unless dBpoweramp tagged them for me with %PRE-EMPHASIS% = Yes

IIRC, I believe there is a flag on the disc's TOC and/or subchanel information that lets EAC or dBpoweramp know and I'm not sure if any other ripping software besides iTunes accounts for these old discs (although some were or are still being manufactured for whatever reason).

This post has been edited by Hotsoup: Yesterday, 16:17
+Quote Post
eahm
post Yesterday, 16:20
Post #57

QUOTE (Hotsoup @ Sep 17 2014, 08:13) *
I had a few in my collection that were known to have pre-emphasis: an old Dark Side of the Moon, New Order's Low-life (old Nimbus Factory disc), Journey's Frontiers (original US disc and Japan)... But I recently acquired two more discs from Japan on the Canyon label. I wouldn't have known unless dBpoweramp tagged them for me with %PRE-EMPHASIS% = Yes

Sorry for keeping OT... mostly for the Pink Floyd albums, what if you only have the files and not the discs anymore, I've never tried but can you scan with dBpa for that feature?

--------------------
/lwAsIimz
+Quote Post
Hotsoup
post Yesterday, 16:47
Post #58

QUOTE (lvqcl @ Sep 17 2014, 08:05) *
foo_dsp_effect also has its own deemph postprocessing. But IIRC it uses only PRE_EMPHASIS tag, and not PRE-EMPHASIS.
When I noticed this, I was definitely using PRE-EMPHASIS. I know nothing about your code (or coding in general, sorry) but is there some part of post-processing leftover even after removing the component(s)? I'm just spit-balling..

@eahm : To quote one of Greynol's old posts on the subject "apart from an educated guess? no." On the other hand, they'll probably sound especially bright when not de-emphasized. There's a pretty good list going here and on Steve Hoffman's forum of known pre-emph CDs.

This post has been edited by Hotsoup: Yesterday, 17:30
+Quote Post
eahm
post Yesterday, 17:50
Post #59

QUOTE (Hotsoup @ Sep 17 2014, 08:47) *
@eahm : To quote one of Greynol's old posts on the subject "apart from an educated guess? no." On the other hand, they'll probably sound especially bright when not de-emphasized. There's a pretty good list going here and on Steve Hoffman's forum of known pre-emph CDs.

Yes, I saw both while ago, I'll ask again in the future, maybe they'll come up with something and I may have one or two albums only anyway. Thanks.

--------------------
/lwAsIimz
+Quote Post
Hotsoup
post Today, 04:04
Post #60

QUOTE (lvqcl @ Sep 17 2014, 08:05) *

After getting back to the home office I was able to test this. You're right it was foo_dsp_effect and I didn't even make the mental connection to Mudlord's component, especially since it wasn't part of the DSP chain. FWIW, foo_dsp_effect also worked for the tag "PRE-EMPHASIS" and "Yes", not just "PRE_EMPHASIS" and "1". Thanks for the help. I don't know how I got so confused.

This post has been edited by Hotsoup: Today, 04:53
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 19:39